Bottle Storage (Individual Bottles Wrapped in Plastic)

I recently received some bottles from one of my off-sites and each bottle was wrapped in a clear plastic bag that was tied-off / sealed at the top. It’s probably not 100% airtight, but probably not a whole lot of air getting in or out.

I’m trying to figure out if I should I remove the bottles from the plastic before I put them in one of my home storage units.

From what I can figure out there are potentially some pros and cons. Does anyone have any experience with this or have a definitive answer on which is the better course of action to take?

JJ Buckley ships some bottles this way, I take it off when I put them in the cellar, I don’t want that plastic smell.

Nothing definitive but I could imagine them trapping some moisture and having adverse effects on labels as a result.

I don’t think that anything bad would happen and the bag might protect the labels.

I’ve got one bottle that was wrapped in plastic, tied-off at the top, in the cellar along with all other bottles unwrapped. It’s only the wrapped bottle which has become a Petri dish – mildew all over its label. The cellar, itself, hovers around 60 to 70% humidity, by the way.

Hope that helps,

Kenney