Eating and drinking in Barolo, Burgundy, and Barbaresco

Part 1:

A little over a month ago I was in old Europe (as Don likes to say). It was my first time visiting Italy and France as an adult. The destinations were selected for wine, so Burgundy was an easy choice. Barolo and Barbaresco also got a guernsey as recently I’ve been exploring Nebbiolo and enjoying it immensely. My family (my now fiancé Jodi and our 17 month old son) joined me and we met my mate Cos and his wife Belinda, who are also from Perth. I’ve been meaning to post some notes and photos of the trip but the combination of coming back to work and the festive season put a bit of a damper on those hopes. That said I figure if I start this thread it’ll spurn further posts, so here goes.

We arrived in Milan on Thursday 19 November. We picked up our rental car from Malpensa and immediately took off to Barolo. The drive was quick, easy, and full of tolls. Cos and Belinda had already been in Barolo for a couple days so we met them at our accommodation in the heart of town. That evening we decided to dine at Barolo Friends. Before heading down Cos felt a quick Champagne was in order so we proceeded to open a Jacques Selosse Brut Initial.

I didn’t take any notes at the time but what struck me about this bottle was how complex the nose and palate were without feeling overtly leesy or heavy. It reminded me of a white burgundy on the palate to be honest. It was incredibly refreshing and a wonderful way to start the evening.

After we polished off the bottle we strolled down to Barolo Friends for dinner. Before this trip I had never tried white truffle so I was extremely keen to remedy the issue. Firstly though we needed a wine to accompany the truffles.

After spending a fair amount of time with my head in the wine list and recognising we probably shouldn’t go full throttle on the first night we settled for a bottle of 2013 Giuseppe Mascarello Langhe Nebbiolo dai Vigneti di Proprietà.

It was my first time trying G. Mascarello’s Nebbiolo and I wasn’t disappointed. While it didn’t display the depth or complexity of G. Mascarello’s Barolo it was definitely true to the house style. Very elegant and fine, bright red fruits, excellent acidity, and beautifully fine tannin. I can’t remember the exact price but it wasn’t an expensive selection. I’d love to be able to buy these wines here in Australia for a reasonable price. Sadly that’s not an easy proposition.

For my first dish I chose the raw Fassone with white truffle. The truffle aromatics were OFF THE CHARTS. That said the flavour was a little lacking. With benefit of hindsight these probably weren’t the best white truffles of the trip. Furthermore the Fassone was a bit of a coarse cut in comparison to some of the others I had on the trip. It was a great start though, especially given my lack of experience. It also paired wonderfully with the Nebbiolo.

Next up I chose the Tajarin with white truffle. Man oh man, why did I have to discover Tajarin?!?! The richness of the pasta with butter sauce combined with the earthiness and aromatics of the white truffle was to die for. It was easily my pick of the meal. The richness was deftly cleaned up by the Nebbiolo. My son enjoyed it immensely as well, white truffles and all. Safe to say I should start saving now so I can feed my boy in the future.

The third course was a seared veal rump steak with mashed potatoes and Parmesan cheese sauce. The quality of the veal was excellent as was the preparation. While it wasn’t a huge portion it was more than enough given the prior dishes.

I finished off with a selection of local cheeses to accompany my last glass of G. Mascarello.

While this meal (as well as accompanying wine) was nowhere near the pinnacle of the trip it was an excellent start to the festivities. We turned in early to prepare for the next day.

Coming up tomorrow: Bartolo Mascarello visit and lunch at Bovio

Andrew- thanks for posting and i look forward to hearing more about the trip. Both locations are on the list for us in the next few years. The pasta and truffles dish looks amazing.

cheers

“Don”?

Thanks for the notes! You Perthians get around! :wink:

Thank you for the notes and pics. Looking forward to Bovio notes/pics. It was a highlight (for dinner) on our trip there.

Yep, Donald Rumsfeld. For some reason his comments about “Old Europe” in 2003 have always struck me a humorous. Granted Italy wouldn’t technically be included as they were a part of the coalition of the willing but I’m sure you get the idea.

Cheers for the encouragement folks.

Part 2:

The next day started with a slow stroll to the other side of Barolo to the Cantina of Bartolo Mascarello for a 10am appointment. Keen as mustard would be an understatement; I’d been planning this trip for so long with Cos and we were finally at the “pointy end” of the process. Strolling up to the front door of Bartolo was quite interesting, if you didn’t know it was there you could easily walk by without even knowing you had passed it! Here’s the incredibly unassuming front door.

I wouldn’t describe their premises as spacious; that said they make very efficient use of the space they have available. Once we entered we were welcomed by Alan Manley who gave us an introduction to the Cantina after seating us at the tasting table. Straight away I had a good feeling about Alan. There’s something reassuring about meeting a fellow American expat and not immediately launching into an Amerocentric conversation. He knew I was American, I knew he was American, and yet we spoke nothing of it. Our focus was elsewhere this morning.

Around the room were a good amount of old Bartolo bottles. Here’s a couple shots.

After the introduction Alan led us on a tour of the premises. We started in the fermentation room. I was immediately struck by how small the room is. One concrete tank (pictured below) still had the 2015 Barolo in it. There were 5 tanks in total. Alan informed us of the maceration process which I found quite unique. Post fermentation the Nebbiolo destined for the Barolo is left in the concrete tanks. The cap isn’t submerged or manually punched down in any way, instead the tank is completely filled to the top before being sealed. So while the cap isn’t manually submerged it is under juice since the tank is completely filled. A small sample is taken daily from the tank. On the day the sample has lost most of its color the maceration process is complete. So obviously there’s no “set formula” for maceration length, instead the wine “chooses” when it’s ready. This is the reason why the 2010 Barolo had a 56 day maceration whereas on average it might spend 30 days on skins. There’s something pretty magical about letting the wine choose when it’s ready instead of a person making the call.

After the fermentation room we proceeded into the barrel room where there was a smattering of large and smaller botti. Obviously there are no barriques in use at Bartolo!

Here’s Alan striking a pose with some of the smaller botti. All the wood is Slavonian oak to my knowledge.

After a quick stroll through the family cellar we proceeded back to the tasting room/offices to get down to the business of tasting some of the wines. Here’s my notes in order of the tasting.

2013 Bartolo Mascarello Barbera d’Alba - The Barbara had a very clean fruit driven nose. On the palate there was beautiful acidity and fine tannin. Somewhat linear but lovely none the less. Jodi loved it.

2013 Bartolo Mascarello Langhe Freisa - The nose in my mind is comparable to Nebbiolo. The palate has a slight spritz, excellent acidity and red fruits with a lovely drying finish. I really enjoyed this wine and will be seeking out more Fresia in general. Superb quaffability.

2011 Bartolo Mascarello Barolo - The bottle on the tasting bench was a bit tired so Alan grabbed a fresh one and popped and poured. The nose had excellent red fruit aromatics including red cherry and a hint of aniseed. With time hints of tea leaves became apparent. The palate was high in both acid and tannin but had great balance and length. Definitely an early drinker when compared to the 2010.

Apparently most 2011 Barolo are like this and while they won’t be incredibly long lived or a classic vintage they should offer immediate gratification given the ripe fruit driven nature of the vintage. After the tasting Alan was kind enough to offer Cos and I a bottle each of the 2011 Barolo with the limited edition art label. Alan’s given 500 bottles of the Barolo annually by Maria Teresa to sell at the cantina to visiting clients. The price per bottle was ridiculously cheap. If given the option I suspect we would have backed up the rental cars and filled them up.

After Bartolo Cos and I drove up the hill to Guiseppe Rinaldi’s home for our second appointment. Unfortunately we were running substantially late and by the time we arrived we couldn’t be accommodated. Spewin!

After the morning at Bartolo we departed for La Morra for lunch at Bovio Ristorante. We had a reservation that had been organised by Cos a couple months in advance. Furthermore he had already organised the wine as well. Cos is a keen collector of Barolo, so much so that the Enoteca we buy from in Alba has what they refer to as “Mount Cosimo” out back. I shudder to think how much he’ll have to pay in tax alone when he finally ships those wines to Australia. Anyway, I’m mentioning this now as he bought heavy with the 2010 vintage immediately upon release; so much so that he was able to secure case quantities of things like Bartolo’s Barolo as well as Guiseppe Rinaldi’s Brunate at exceptional prices before the hype train reached full speed. That said there was one bottle that he wasn’t able to source no matter how hard he tried; the 2010 Cappellano Barolo Piè Franco Otin Fiorin. 2010 Piè Rupestris, no problem. But the Piè Franco had proven to be most elusive. Bovio had it on the wine list at a very good price when Cos made the reservation, iirc it was 120 euro. So he organised a bottle for us when he made the booking. I’m pleased he did, when we arrived on the day the Piè Franco was still listed but priced at 200 euro. I just had a quick look now, it’s no longer on the wine list at Bovio.

The restaurant (and all of the area) was blanketed with fog when we were there, so much so that the view from our corner table at the restaurant was completely fogged out. No worries, we asked for the Piè Franco to be brought out as soon as we were seated. Unfortunately Cos had been quite sick the night before so I was left with the arduous task of drinking most of the bottle. Here’s my notes from the day.

2010 Cappellano Barolo Piè Franco Otin Fiorin - Very big nose, richness almost oozes out of the glass. Tar and dark fruits dominate. The palate whilst rich was quite tight. Exceptionally tannic with great acid and length. Tar and aniseed stand out on the palate, iron in the background. With more air it developed a high toned lift. The nose completely shut down after ~2 hours.

Of all the wines we tried on this trip the 2010 Piè Franco was easily the most closed and unforgiving. I felt a bit bad about the infanticide but I’d rather try one too young when faced with the alternative of not tasting it at all. After perusing the menu for entirely too long I decided to take the easy route and just opt for the degustation menu. We started with the veal tonnato with old style tuna sauce and veal tartare with black truffles and parmigiano cheese. Both were excellent.

Next up was a tart of cardoons and cheese fondue. Jodi didn’t enjoy it at all but I’m a huge fan of tarts and found it delicate and sublime.

By this point in time the restaurant was absolutely filled with the aroma of tartufo bianco. I couldn’t resist the urge and requested to have at least one of my dishes be served with white truffle. No use f’n around, when in Rome, etc. etc. My next plate was meant to be handmade ravioli filled with meat, vegetables, and beef sauce. Come to find out that dish didn’t match with white truffle appropriately so instead I was served handmade ravioli with egg, ricotta, and spinach. At the table it was covered with white truffle. I actually preferred the meat ravioli over the cheese ravioli when compared stand alone but the addition of white truffle caused the cheese ravioli win out. The truffle was more aromatic and flavorful than the ones from Barolo Friends the night before and I was immediately pleased with my decision to deviate from the set menu.

Next course was described on the menu as typical braised beef in Barolo wine sauce. The beef must have been slow cooked for quite some time as it just fell apart under fork. It paired with the Barolo magnificently. I also enjoyed the polenta on the plate as it allowed me to state unequivocally to the table that grits were alive and well in Italy. Jodi just shook her head.

For our last dish we had three desserts. By this time I was well and truly stuffed plus I’m not a dessert man at the best of times. Still, I tried all three and they were all very good.

After all the food an espresso was required. Of course you can’t have coffee without more dessert.

After lunch we drove up to the top of La Morra to get a better view of the fog. We weren’t disappointed…

Coming up next: aged Barbaresco and Barolo in Pommard.

Great stuff Andrew!! keep them coming. Loving the food and wine combos.

Sounds like an amazing trip.

Great pics also…

Great report and pics Andrew.

Cheers folks! Going out last night combined with my 1 1/2 year old son deciding sleep wasn’t necessary in the early hours of this morning has put me at a distinct disadvantage today. I’ll be back tomorrow to write part 3.

Andrew, great photos and notes. Your pictures make me want to go back to Bovio! I recognise Alan, who is originally from Colorado, and showed us around in our visit to Sandrone.

Cheers, Howard

Andrew, thank you for the vivid descriptions of your experiences in a region I hope to visit some day. Really enjoying the posts. Good luck getting some rest and we’ll look forward to the next!

Andrew,

Thanks for the notes and pictures. They are wonderful.

This calls to mind Robert Redford in “The Natural”. First time in the Piemonte as an adult, and he instantly realized that his first carne cruda, while hand-chopped as it must be, was too coarsely done, and then, even more impressive, sensed that his tartufi smelled as they should, but had no flavor, the telltale sign of the weak truffle season that we had this year. Some good dining choices revealed so far, and excellent descriptions and photos. (The avatar is rather dark, but I think Andrew even looks a bit like Redford!)

P.S. Next time, ask Il Signor Bovio to serve you a single, large raviolo with an egg yolk inside as the base for your tartufi. It was the signature antipasto (not the pasta course, which means that you can enjoy the raviolo AND the meat agnolotti next time) at both his old restaurant, Il Belvedere in La Morra (the restaurant at the top where you went for fog observation), and Ristorante Bovio…

Great write up. Keep it up.

Is Il Signor Bovio still around? In 2011 the restaurant was run by his daughter front of house, and I think son in law in the kitchen. In 2009 he was still about directing cars and mixing with tables, I will never forget being served wine in Riedel Burgundy Sommelier glasses and having our photo taken with Il Signor.

Well, I’m incredibly flattered Bill! flirtysmile

Thanks again for all the positive comments everyone, I genuinely appreciate it… I’m just about to hit submit on Part 3.

Part 3:

So after our couple of days in Barolo on the Saturday we departed for the house we had rented in Pommard. Driving through the Alps was picturesque to put it lightly. Unfortunately as I was driving I wasn’t able to take any photos. We arrived in Pommard in the mid-afternoon. The weather was exceptional; there wasn’t a cloud in the sky and the temperature was cool but not bone chilling. Here’s a shot up the road from our rental looking north from Pommard towards Beaune.

Before my family had even arrived in Barolo Cos had dropped into Alba to collect a few aged gems from Mount Cosimo. He’s been purchasing aged Barolo and Barbaresco for quite some time and given we had a week long house rental we thought it made sense to look at these wines there. That said I did have a bit of a chuckle, I don’t believe it’s every day that visitors bring a slew of aged Piedmontese wines to Burgundy!

On the Saturday night we pulled the cork on the Fiorina Riserva Barbaresco. My notes are as follows.

1970 Fiorina Riserva Barbaresco - Color has a fair amount of browning to it. Smells quite old, leathery, and has a touch of VA. With air notes of caramel and sweet pipe tobacco emerge. Lovely acidity on the palate with a hint of vinous sweetness on the mid palate. There was a slightly drying aspect to the finish.

The next morning over breakfast this nose had really blossomed. The VA had blown off and in its place there were more emergent and engaging sweet caramel aromas. The palate was still comparable to the night before and still very lovely but the nose had really breathed up well.

We proceeded to take a day trip on the Sunday to Vézelay which is well worth the time if you can spare it. Upon returning to Pommard we decided to look at the trio of Oddero’s Cos had brought. We both thought looking at them side by side over a few days would be an interesting academic exercise. [cheers.gif]

Here are my notes from Sunday night.

1967 Oddero Barolo – Nose is initially dominated by tar and VA. The palate was exceptionally elegant though with drying tannin, vinous sweetness, and a line of acidity carrying the palate from start to finish.

1964 Oddero Barolo – Incredibly rich nose of toffee and caramel, no perceptible VA. The toffee notes are present on the palate as well along with a good measure of tannic grip. That said the tannins were virtually imperceptible as you only notice the grip.

1958 Oddero Barolo – Chocolate notes dominate the nose on the ’58 for me and once again there’s no VA present. The palate was acidic, long, and mouth filling. Quite rich really and with a good lick of tannic grip on the back palate.

We came back to the three Oddero (Odderi?) over the next few days. The first night of tasting I ranked the three in the following order, ’58 – 1st, ’67 – 2nd, '64 – 3rd. The next night the ’67 edged out the ’58 as it opened up much more and was really drinking well. I wouldn’t say the ’58 declined more than the ’67 emerged and edged it out. Sadly the ’64 was relegated to 3rd by my palate every time we looked at the three. I was expecting it to be the winner out of the three given the reputation of the vintage. That said the bottle didn’t look in as good of condition as the other two. Furthermore if you look at the bottle pic above a bit more closely you’ll notice the ’64 didn’t have the insignia molded into the neck like the ’58 and ’67 did. Also the serial number on the top of the neck looked like the font pitch was a point or two larger. I’m not trying to state anything about the correctness or lack thereof regarding the ’64. Just pointing out bottle differences that I picked up which seemed curious, at least to me.

Coming up next: Monday in Burgundy - Domaine visits to Jean-Claude Boisset and Confuron-Cotetidot bookending lunch at Ma Cuisine.

Andrew, thank you for this ongoing report. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Lovely photos and commentary. It sounds like you had a leisurely drive through the Alps. The last time I attempted that itinerary, in the opposite direction, we had to leave Burgundy in time to visit Giacosa at 9 am!