Pairing / wine epiphany #4

One of the richest pleasures i have found in wine has been the periodic, unexpected moments where my understanding of the basic tenets of wine culture come into sharp, dramatic focus and “received wisdom” transitions from an abstract idea into direct experiential knowledge. These are the “wine epiphanies” and yesterday, at a small French bistro in Atlanta (Atmosphere), I had my fourth.

My wife and I sat down for lunch and ordered two glasses of wine, a 2013 Cherrier Sancerre and a Pegau blanc (2013 CdR, I think; the list is vague), a beet & chèvre tart and moules frite. We tell the waiter we’ll be sharing everything.

There wines arrive and we both taste each. The Sancerre is refreshing, tropical fruit with a nice tart finish. The Pegau is in comparison fruitless, extremely dry, a bit watery and with a bitter aftertaste. Wife wrinkles her nose and says “flat champagne.” I say “Very French.” (We live in California! That’s code for “don’t open it when the girlfriends come over.”) Equipped with with book-learned bravado, I say “we can come back to this one later.”

It’s mid-afternoon and the restaurant is almost empty, so the food arrives quickly and we’re only halfway through a shared levain and the Sancerre when all at once the lunch arrives The tart is mostly chèvre with dill on puff pastry. The mussels are plump, inviting, and piled high in a custard-colored white wine and cream sauce awash in soft garlic slices and melted butter. The levain goes straight into the broth and the flavor is exceptional; it plays equally well as a seasoning for the meat and bread as it does on the spoon alone.

We are getting rolling on the mussels and bread (the frites are a pass) and then it’s time for another taste of the wines.

This time, it’s a totally different story. The Pegau blanc refreshes the palate beautifully, with mineral water freshness, a touch of drying tannin, and a hint of licorice on the finish. Its 2pm, I’m going to be driving home, and am working hard not to kill the glass.

Back to the Sancerre. It’s a disaster. The fruit is jarring and unrecognizable and the acid screeches.

For a minute, I’m scratching my head. What happened? I don’t recognize the wines. I double check to see if the glasses got switched. Nope. I check in with the wife. Same thing for her.

Of course, it’s the food. I still have to double check the effect a few times and yup it’s the same.

The rest of the day, every few hours, it keeps coming back to me. That was crazy. It’s like the wines totally changed in a matter of minutes. But they didn’t. I did.

I’m starting to obsess about this. What does it mean for all of the wines that I have tasted in the past and passed judgement on? What does it mean for what I should drink tonight? Or buy tomorrow?

I honestly don’t know how to answer these questions and feel that the small number of years that I have spent reading about and tasting wines from around the world leave me entirely unable to address.

I cannot avoid recalling the moments, multiplying in my memory now, when a glass of wine I had embraced was set aside during a meal as suddenly unappealing. Or the wines which I have panned after tasting them alone.

As an American, I learned early “red wine with steak, white wine with fish” and “the somm can recommend a wine to go with your entree.” I have always known in the abstract that pairing matters but, to be blunt, it has not held any more meaning or nuance than the advice that a well-dressed man’s socks should match either his slacks or his shoes. The underlying meaning and logic is totally opaque.

We tend to think of epiphanies as enlightening, but this experience was largely the opposite. Because while I have a new and stark awareness of how pairing effects the wine experience, I now have much less confidence in my own knowledge of how to go about enjoying wine. I am headed down a path that for the moment seems dark and unknown. At the same time, I know that this experience, and what will follow, will take on a new dimension of meaning and insight.

The fact that my wife shared the experience, with the same result, suggests that this experience could be easily reproduced. Undoubtedly it is already a basic part of formal wine education programs and I have just rediscovered it by happenstance. But as is typical for a new convert, post-epiphany, I feel compelled to share the “religion” with you and hopefully advance my exploration through a conversation here.

I invite those who are knowledgable to suggest interesting pairing exercises and related insights (rules of pairing?) in this thread.

Cheers and thanks for reading the long post

Fantastic post, great observations. And your conclusion is so valuable: it’s often “us”, not the wines - what we’re eating, what else we’re drinking, what we might have eaten earlier in the day, etc.

I can’t say I’m any kind of expert at pairing, it’s a long road discovering what works and what doesn’t work with certain foods, spice, acidity, fat, etc. It’s also why sometimes it makes sense to just head to beer or margaritas :wink:

This post rules. One of my favorite food & wine pairings is a nice Champagne with copious amounts of snow crab legs and garlic butter.

flirtysmile

Great post! I had a similar experience with my first dry sherry and lucked into having no other wine when olives arrived as an amuse bouche.

Wonderful post! Love your observations and the way you write. What were epiphanies #1-3?

Many years ago my wife opened a bottle of champagne with chips and queso. I wasnt too keen to the idea but it worked great. I later learned that anything that has significant salt and fat is a prime match for bubbles.

Last year after a less than stellar match with my BLT, I turned to the board for a better option. Fino sherry which I rarely drink is just a devine match that I buy it every year just so I have it on hand for BLT season.

Like you have noted, I now don’t dismiss a wine without tasting it both alone and with food. We have found a number of bottles over the years that didn’t thrill alone are fine with food and just as many where that work the other way.

And sometimes, we just get it wrong. I thought the Barbera I selected to go with the elk osso buco would work well but it turns out the CdP with age my brother chose was the better option with the dish for most of us. Except for my SiL who preferred the Barbera which just goes to show that taste preferences and matching aren’t universal.

It’s not us judging the wine, the wine judges us.

Great post and observations. If we listen, wine can make us all humble.

Great post. Totally agreed.

I will co pose my tasting note only to watch the wine change over an hour or a day and feel embarrassed at what I just wrote. And I certainly have had food transform my experience of a wine (unfortunately turning many Cali Cocktail Cabs into for less dreck)…

2007 Arrowood Lasseter Vineyard - powerful mountain fruit, which by itself was just too overpowering. However, matched with onion & fig jam and cloth-wrapped aged Cabot cheddar it became a wonderful experience. Since then I’ve found their 2001 or 2003 Monte Rosso works better with that combination. Every time my wife goes to Wegman’s she texts me to ask how my stock level is on both the cheese and jam in case it’s getting low.

As noted, the wrong food pairing can ruin a bottle and the right pairing can enhance it beyond expectations.

Good combinations are more than the sum of their parts.

Great post, and let me be the first to welcome you to the AFWE!

POTY
so far [wink.gif]

Great writing and great info.
Man, I can taste that chevre and dill.

Before dinner last night my wife, son and I were having a cocktail at home and I brought out a small plate of homemade hummus (extra garlicky) and I ended up eating it all. We proceeded to dinner and started with this wine - 2001 Rotllan Torra Priorat Amadis (Spain, Catalunya, Priorat) and I thought it was so delicious - little funky, earthy, minerally, faint mature fruit. Just the kind of wine I love - very much like a mature Bordeaux. My wife and son took one sip and both got fruit bomb with no earth or anything else. They looked at me like I was crazy. The only thing that explains it is the garlic in the hummus I guess. Going to try a taste test with the next bottle I open at home.

Joe, I came across your absolute gem of a post from a few years ago by chance today while searching for posts on Cherrier Sancerre. A great “epiphany” and it’s one of those eternal truths about wine drinking. Good one for all of us to be reminded about. Cheers. -Jim

1 Like