(Uncle) Louis Eschenauer

From just finishing Wine&War, one thing caught my attention.
The negociant firm of LouisEschenauer made big $$'s from sales of Bdx wines to the Germans. (Uncle) Louis Eschenauer collaborated w/ the WeinFureur of Bdx, Heinz Boemer.
After the end of the War (II), Louis was tried & convicted of being a collaborator w/ the Nazis by the De Gaulle government. A company he organized bought several Bdx properties, for a song, of Jewish-owned/confiscated Chateaux. He testified that he bought them to be returned to their rightful owners after the War’s end. Seems a bit far-fetched and self-serving to me. He died in 1958.
The records of his trial were locked away and, by French law, from public viewing. They are not accessible until 60 yrs after his death. That would be in 2018.
I wonder if, in 2018, anyone plans to open up those trial records, go thru them w/ a fine tooth-comb, and write a book or a magazine article on what those records reveal?? I think it would make for very interesting reading.
Just a thought.
Tom

Highly suspicious motivations, in my way of thinking. I’m sure someone will publish a book once the records are unsealed.

Cool story, Tom

I hope someone writes the story from the trial proceedings. It would be interesting reading.

You come out of the book w/ mixed feelings about Louis & Heinz.
Louis (who owned LeCaponFin restaurant, where all the Nazis would come to eat when in Bdx),
had a very conspicuous consumption life-style that made him widely hated by other Bdx
negociants, who were shut out of many of the dealings w/ the Nazis because of Louis close
personal/buddy-buddy friendship w/ Heinz. Louis was a very opportunistic business man.
Heinz had instructions from Berlin to blow up all of the port of Bdx. Louis pleaded w/ him directly
not to do so & Heinz agreed not to, disobeying his commanders. They had already placed all the
explosives to do the deed, though (unknown to Louis), one of Heinz’s subordinates had blown
up the depot that held all the explosive detonators, so the deed could not have been executed.
And Louis negociated w/ the French Resistance to permit the Nazis to evacuate Bdx w/o being
attacked in exchange for not destroying the city. Which they did, unscathed.
The book devotes a whole chapter about the dealings w/ Louis & Heinz as the war drew to
a close. Very interesting reading.
Tom

A brilliant book.

I can remember purchasing various older Bordeaux from the 30s and 40s with the ‘Eschenauer’ name on them. Baron Philippe was another with questionable dealings back then.

Might have to pull thought out and read it again - such a fascinating study.

The book was a great read from start to finish.

Just came across this post while doing a little google searching. I don’t suppose anyone followed up on this? I’m curious if anyone knows how to get a hold of those recently unsealed records.

This is going to be kinda heavy (sorry), but…

My Grandmother was a Jewish German ex-pat living in Bordeaux during the beginning of WW2. She worked as a secretary for Eschenauer (in fact, (Uncle) Louis was responsible for her release from prison - see link below). Anyway, her father (my great-grandfather) briefly owned a Chateau in St. Vivien (La Grand Canau). Though it did not produce wine after the phylloxera problem, the Chateau had a large storage facility (and clocktower) in the back. In Adam Nossiter’s book, The Algeria Hotel, he mentions Eschenauer starting a new business at the chateau of an expropriated Jewish family’s estate and I’ve been trying to discover if La Grand Canau was this spot.

Google Photos

Nope, Mike…not that I’m aware has there been any follow-up.
Tom

There’s been some discussion in France for a long time. Remember that the victors get to write the history.

Anyway, it’s pretty clear that Eschenauer was responsible for saving Bordeaux from being blown up. A non-commissioned sympathetic German officer had destroyed the detonators, but the Germans still had artillery and sufficient arms to cause extreme damage. Eschenauer had contacts within the Resistance and also among the Germans and was able to keep the Resistance from doing anything that would provoke retaliation. After the war, the mayor, Marquet, tried to claim credit, but it was clear that he had no contacts or influence, whereas Eschenauer maintained cordial relationships with both sides during and after the war.

When de Gaulle and his people came in, they obviously wanted to try everyone they could who collaborated. Jacques Chaban-Delmas, who had actually worked in the Resistance, eventually became mayor of Bordeaux. As a politician, it was expedient for him to make ostentatious examples of some people. As the participants have all died, it’s hard to do much other than speculate as to their various motives and activities, and the veracity of various claims. Some have alleged that Chaban-Delmas emphasized his contributions while minimizing those of Eschenauer and others. Of course, those people themselves have some agenda, so who knows.

Obviously I have no first hand knowledge and maybe Eschenauer was an absolute bastard in all respects. On the other hand, initially the Germans were just going to take whatever they wanted. Even though Hitler didn’t drink wine, he knew that it was valued by many people and was consequently worth having. And who wouldn’t want a chateau or two? So if I had to leave town in a hurry and knew I’d be losing my estate, and someone offered me some money for it, I’d probably take it rather than get out with nothing at all.

OTOH, purchasing for safe keeping? Seems far-fetched.

Anyway, it would be fascinating to read through the trial transcripts.

I had a 1943 Cheval Blanc at Berns. It had an Eschenauer label. Very teutonic. Metallic quality. Not like the more recent versions. Made by females I understand. Absolutely terrific. He was Alsacian. A collaborator. He was considered the real wine fuhrer. I was surprised by the quality considering the French desire to
undermine the Germans.