What, No Mourvedre Appreciation Delegation?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Drew Goin

Re: What, No Mourvedre Appreciation Delegation?

#301 Post by Drew Goin » January 9th, 2019, 2:04 am

AD Northup wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 10:41 am
Drew Goin wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 10:03 am
AD Northup wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 7:03 am
Drew - Just spent a few days outside Varna, Bulgaria and spent a good bit of that time drinking Mavrud which some believe to be an ancient clone of Mourvèdre introduced by the Romans. Worth checking out

I will have to check that out! Thanks!!

May I ask from where the Mavrud ≈ Mourvèdre information came?
From discussion with some of my servers, backed up by Wikipedia at this source: https://worldsbestwines.eu/grapes/mavrud/ (though not un-suspect)

Doesn’t appear to be a ton of info out there around this grape

I have found a winery on the island of Crete that grows and produces a Mourvèdre. I am still trying to determine whether there is a connection between Mavrud and Mourvèdre. I know that "Mavro" means "black" in Greek, as in the grape name "Mavrodaphne" = "Black Laurel"

According to the Wikipedia entry for "Mavrud":

"...There is speculation amongst grape growers that Mavrud may be an ancient clone of Mourvedre, imported into Bulgaria by the Romans."

The problem is that this statement is not supported by any citation. [scratch.gif]

Other claims of the association:

http://www.surprisingwines.com/wine/category/mavrud

https://worldsbestwines.eu/grapes/mourvedre/

"Nostos Mourvèdre

Soil: Schist, sandy clay loamy
Altitude: 320-380m (1050-1350ft)
Vineyard pruning and trailing: Goblet and Vertical Shoot Position, trained in double cordon Royat

Vinification: Classic red vinification in open oak vats and controlled temperature. Maceration lasts around 20 days. After maceration is complete the wine is racked into oak barrels (75% French oak, 25% US oak) for ageing over 12 months. All barrels are new and are replaced every 4 years.

Vintages:
2012 (157 bottles, 194 magnums)

"Characteristics: Clear deep dark red colour with a purple hue. Rich,dense legs. Intense nose with ripe juicy black fruits and some caramelized notes. Velvet tannins in this big bodied wine, warm finish with crunchy dark fruit. Bitter chocolate and a hint of eathiness. Long aftertaste that lingers for at least a couple of minutes. Drink now but can age up to 12-13 years."

Manousakis Winery website:
https://www.manousakiswinery.com

Chuck Furuya
"Chaniá, Greece–Salis Restaurant & Manousakis Wines"
November 19, 2017

"...The Manousakis estate & its wines labeled under the Nostros label, is the dream of Theodore Manousakis (Afshin’s father-in-law), as a way to give back something to his homeland of Crete.

"...25 hectares planted (half in 1993)–located in a rugged, vertically remote (up to roughly 2500 feet in elevation) wild, mountain side, wind pounded & with a breathtaking view. The soils were extreme & iron rich planted on various nooks & crannies along the mountain contour. The vines include–Syrah, Grenache, Roussanne, Mourvedre with Greek grapes varieties such as Romeiko, Vidiano & even a little Assyrtiko.

"...The wines were very well made, had style, polish, wonderful texture & balance. The 2 most interesting were the Mourvedre (1 hectare) & the Syrah (roughly 3 hectares). Both were quite masculine with a warm & real savory generosity...."

Drew Goin

#302 Post by Drew Goin » January 11th, 2019, 2:35 am

I received an email from Riley Hubbard of Hubba Wines yesterday. Ms Hubbard has previously worked at wineries like L’Aventure, Torbreck Winery in Australia, and Domaine d'Aupilhac in southern France. She also served as assistant winemaker at Law Estate, and currently is assistant winemaker at Desparada. Additionally, Riley consults for Monochrome Wines.

hubba-wines-mushroomhead.jpg
Hubba Wines "Mushroomhead" & other products - from the Hubba winery website
hubba-wines-mushroomhead.jpg (19.92 KiB) Viewed 57 times

To my dismay, it was revealed that the Mourvèdre component of Hubba Wines' "Mushroomhead" Mourvèdre-Carignan-Syrah blend was sourced from one of the Californian vineyards who mistakenly were provided the wrong grape variety in its stead:

"Hi Drew,

"I appreciate your interest in Hubba's 'Mushroomhead'. Even though the 'Mushroomhead' was labeled 50% 'Mourvedre', it is actually 50% of the varietal 'Graciano'. I labeled it before the news broke about this strange mix up.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/articl ... o-15963603

"If you have any other questions, please let me know.

"Cheers,
Riley"

The grapes that Ms Riley uses for wines like the "Mushroomhead" blend are from some amazing locations. The Graciano was grown at the "Shokrian Vineyard", a Los Alamos site that also cultivates Pinot Noir! Aside from the "Enz Vineyard", I do not know of another vineyard that successfully matures both types of fruit in the same place.

The Carignan fruit was purchased from Castoro Cellars' organic "Whale Rock Vineyard" in the Templton Gap (also in Paso Robles), while the Syrah came from the "Bassetti Vineyard", a Cambria-area vineyard most recognizable as a source of Edmunds St John's Syrah grapes for many years.

Hubba Wines website:
https://www.hubbawines.com

Drew Goin

#303 Post by Drew Goin » January 15th, 2019, 5:00 am

Ms Megan Bell of Margins Wine responded to my email last week.

IMG_3830.jpeg
Megan Bell of Margins Wine

Margins offers a single-vineyard Mourvèdre. Is there a particular story behind your choice of making a wine from this variety?

MB: "Margins specializes in wines made from lesser known varietals grown from only organic vineyards. It is pretty difficult to find fruit that fits both of these categories, so when someone lets me know about vineyards I usually jump on the opportunity. I had never made Mourvedre before, but I had a last minute opportunity to start working with the Sattler family in 2017 and I took it. Their backyard organic vineyard is planted to 90% Mourvedre."

• What special factors in geology, climate, etc, do you find help make Mourvèdre a viable grape for the Santa Clara area, specifically the "Sattler's Vineyard"?

MB: "This part of the Santa Clara Valley has very hot days and cool nights due to proximity to the ocean. Mourved is difficult to ripen! Even a place that I consider too hot to live (where the vineyard is) can't ripen Mourved to the desired brix every year. Just like any quality grapegrowing region, I think cool nights are key for retaining acidity."

• What Mourvèdre Clone(s)/selection have you worked with, and why have you chosen that particular one (or those)? Have you been able to observe any distinct qualities from the vine material distinct from the Santa Clara vineyard's location/climate?

MB: "I don't think in these kind of terms. I'm more of a 'you get what you get' kind of winemaker. I really don't care at all what clone something is. The fruit is on the vine, I will pick it, and I will make wine from it.

"The most distinct part of this vineyard is how stressed the vines look. The vines crop nicely, and by looking at them you would think they wouldn't be able to support all of their clusters, but they manage to grow beautiful fruit."

• Do you believe that vine age offers any tangible benefits in Mourvèdre grapes?

MB: "Just like any varietal, absolutely. We can't pinpoint these benefits without a study, but in all circumstances (people, plants) I think the same lifestyle concepts apply.

"You start out young and inconsistent, you reach a mature prime that lasts throughout most of your lifetime, and ultimately when you're an expert with many years of experience you begin to slow down. Every vineyard is different, but I believe the plants express their best selves in terms of balance (sugar, acid, tannin) when they are more mature."

• Why do you think so many winegrowers have had success growing Grenache and Syrah, whereas Mourvèdre often has proven more challenging in getting mature fruit?

MB: "Because Mourved takes longer/more heat to ripen."

• What special considerations do you think are necessary to produce a 100% (or Mourvèdre-dominant) wine from this grape in particular?

MB: "Owning your anti-blending tendencies."

I feel like I might have been trolled there. [scratch.gif]

Return to “Wine Talk”