What is YOUR most rare wine?

This is mine, only 950 bottled produced!

From the South of Italy, red, 15% alcohol

I have been through so many microscopically small production German dessert wines (Eiswein, BA and TBA) that I have lost count. Most of them were under 25 cases, so less than 300 bottles in total. Granted there are often larger production versions, but 900 bottles (especially if they are 750s) is a very high number.

Including ones bought in supermarkets? :wink:

The post asked only “what is your most rare wine”…I wasnt asking for a lesson…anyway, rarity depends by the vintage, if the producer still works, if the producer sells or not (it happens), and many many things. It is only a question, not more, not less.

Peace and love

Better not get a rare bottle of wine near me. I’d actually drink it. neener

Yes, and with deep punts and more long corks 'cause that is better. [snort.gif]

!!

Any publicity is good publicity, eh?

This is gold right here, guys and gals… gold. Viscardo plays Dan Rowen, and we all get to be Dick Martin.

Viscardo,

My point was that “rare” wines are not all that rare. If that bothers you then you might want to spend more time in Wine 101 The Basics.

Due to late season rains and the resulting rot, I made a total of 5 bottles of Aglianico in 2012. Does that count?

ok

2012 Bedrock Puccini. Never released.

Edit: never mind, I guess I took the OP seriously. [shock.gif] [scratch.gif]

2012 Pott Arsenal, should have ordered more only have a few left!!!

Yes; however, you had about as much tact as a fart in an elevator…

Oh, stop being so melodramatic.
melodrama.png

Italians, not too many (but does spending time in Italy few times a year counts?)
As for the wines, I think we drank most of our very good and/or rare Italian wines (which were very good!). Have some Podere Il Carnasciale Il Caberlot. Would not call them ‘rare’ but certainly hard to come by. IIRC, few beserkers held an offline of those a while ago.

As for rare (aka, hardly produced/bottles, and certainly n/a anymore), I would say '80 RS signature series winsdor falls into that- I have one bottle and the winemaker actually went down his own archives and found for me its technical spec. Very few made for a very small portion of the mailing list. Planning to drink it so it would be come an ‘ex rare’ wine. [cheers.gif]

Viscardo
Please stay around (rimani qui per favore! [cheers.gif])
I think the replies could have been a bit more constructive, but what David says is actually decent advice - many of the earlier posts about ‘5 simple techniques’ would have been more appropriate to be in Wine 101: The basics forum. It’s a good place to discuss such things.

This post is I think a perfectly decent question for this forum, and I think the criticisms are unfair.

For commercial wines, the 1999 Best’s FHT (a frost hit vintage) is possibly my rarest. I bought a dozen bottles and that was (if I recall correctly) > 1% of production. A Moscato from a very hospitable agriturismo in Bubbio (nr Acqui Terme / Alta Langa) may be rarer.

Finally I have a couple of commemorative bottles from charity cricket matches I played in. Total labelling run would have been 25-30 bottles, so that’s pretty rare I suppose. I got the impression that the wine inside wasn’t really worth drinking, so they stay in my cellar until the cork drops out of them!

Cordiali saluti
Ian

Rarities, like classic cars, is in the eye and palate of the beholder.

I have some ‘first releases’ from a number of Oregon wineries that date back to the early 80s that might not be considered rare - but they are precious to me because it was when I first started visiting Oregon and was in total amazement of the movement and the people (and the wines).

Pat Paulsen '82 Cabernet, signed
He was giving out autographs that day. Probably running for president. :slight_smile:

Not sure post 4 above was tactful on any level.

FYI-I sent Viscardo a note. Sorry folks. Need to think before posting.

Anyway, as far as the question, the 2013 Enfield Wine Co. Syrah in magnum would certainly be my rarest. I have 2 of (I think) 30 magnums.