What do you use to monitor temp and humidly in your cellar?

I have been using the LaCrosse Weather direct temp monitoring device for a few years and I think it stinks. I’ve had many issues with it and wont use it anymore and am looking for a better replacement. I’m limited to what I can get as I don’t have an outlet to plug anything into so battery operated is must.

I need a temp and humidity monitoring device (that runs on batteries) that can also send me alerts if the temp and humidity fall out of range. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

[cheers.gif]

Ross

Nothing yet other than the Cellarpro but I want a Netatmo.

If you do a search there are a number of threads about this topic.

I’m just monitoring the inside of my cabinet, not an actual cellar room, but I do want to know if the cooling unit fails or something. I am currently using a homebrew system based on a Particle Photon that reports temperature and humidity every few minutes to a simple cloud app I built. I didn’t find any of the existing commercial products very appealing. The Particle does need AC power, though (technically you could run it on a battery, but the battery wouldn’t last very long, so it’s not practical).

Netatmo - put the outdoor module in your cellar, it runs on batteries. Or Smartthings with a Temp/Humidity sensor. Both would be about $150 buy-in, but the Smartthings system can be added onto almost indefinitely with other sensors and switches throughout the house for whole house automation - both have no monthly subscription fee.

I have both running in parallel and Netatmo reports temps to Smartthings so I can see everything on one iPhone dashboard.

Well, Neatmo is new to this geek and I have a feeling I will be giving into it if it supports Z Wave. I currently use: https://www.weatherdirect.com/tx60dset

I have two sensors. They work great. Supports setting levels for both Temp and Humidity as well as mobile alerts.

Interesting you have run into issues with it. More than happy to try to help you troubleshoot them. I know I had some initial setup issues and do have to re-pair it when I upgrade my home network.

Netatmo is a closed system (can’t add individual sensors to another Z-wave system). However they have an open API so systems like Smartthings can interface with your permission.

Thank you! Discovered the same thing upon research. I will happily use the money for something else. Probably wine.

Thanks everyone for you input.

I looked at Netatmo and didn’t see the outdoor module. Will look at that and Smartthings. Thanks

Have used Lacrosse Alerts for 3-4 years now with no issues.

My Lacrosse works ok. It fails periodically (doesn’t send/record) but also sends me a text/email. I basically just want to know if my condenser fails.

Hey Ross - the base kit comes with one indoor module (plugs into the wall), and one outdoor module (runs on batteries). So you can just put the outdoor module in your cellar, and then you’d get a second reading for the ambient temp where your indoor module is - which can be helpful because ambient temp can effect the lowest attainable temp inside the cellar, depending on how powerful the cooler is.

This will get you going:
http://shop.netatmo.com/usd_en/netatmo-weather-station-498.html - the little cylinder is the outdoor module.

Can’t this be done with a Nest?

As far as I’m aware, the Nest doesn’t offer a remote sensor. I suppose you could install a Nest in a large, walk-in cellar - but that would be an awfully expensive way to do it. And I don’t think a Nest can be used to control the cooling system, so you’d just be using it to report temperature.

Ross, do you mind elaborating on specifically what problems you had with your Lacrosse? I think it would add to the overall consideration of these issues for WBers. Thanks.

I have a ConnectSense system which has worked great since I installed it 3 months ago. Remote WiFi access and will send alerts if you want. My unit has a sensor that is inside the cellar connected to a plugged-in transmitter outside. I am not sure if it has a battery option.

I have used a cheapo Oregon Scientific weather station with two remote sensors for years without any major issues. It is battery operated - batteries usually last about one year. I have a passive cellar and I like that the station records maximum and minimum temps read by each sensor. I visually monitor temps daily, but I think some of the newer models can communicate with a smart phone.

My chiller is connected to a Nest thermostat. It shows temp humidity and usage by day.

Jon - out of curiosity, do you have a Nest installed in you cellar? Or are you using some type of remote sensor to report temp/humidity to your Nest app as a secondary zone?

[cheers.gif]

I’ve used a bunch of different systems…netatmo is the way to go…smartphone integration and graphing (w/zoom) are quite nice. No monthly fees for alerts, like lacrosse/weather direct…superior graphing…better app.

-mark