Kutch Pinots--A Deep Dive Into The 2014s and A Few 2013s

Rarely anymore do I get the chance to do a deeper look and study wines I like, which in this instance, are Jamie Kutch’s wines. I have been actively buying the wines for about 5 years now and oddly have never been able to visit him; however, Jamie has made it down here previously to taste with the OC gang, and we also have done a few instances of what we call ‘bringing the winery to us’. Bringing the winery here is the result of working with the winery to bring down a collection of wines via shipper, we set a tasting stage for them around a table of good palates and we work them through. We did this with Jamie’s 2013s about a year ago, then most recently the 2014s on two occasions, which I want to explain.

About 6 weeks back, a handful of us dined at Playground and we put Jamie’s wines around a few flights of small plate food. We did the single 2006, then three of the 2013s and all of the 2014s, with those notes reflected below. After the event, I took a step back and looked at the results and the mixed results I experienced with the wines, namely the Bohan, Falstaff and Sonoma Coast. I let Jamie know, sharing with him my notes, and as we talked it through, he let me take another run at the 2014s, sharing with me another set, which I have finished tasting through and recording this week.

There are some interesting takeaways from this exercise, which I would like to share before I list the TNs.

1. The two tasting contexts were different. For the first pass we did at Playground, there was 8 of us, the setting was darker and my senses were mixed with the restaurant environment, the table conversation, etc. Conversely, when I did the retaste the 2014s this past few weeks, I did them one a time, and with a few of them, only one bottle per week. I tasted them alone, they were the singly the star.

2. The 2014s were affected by the frame. Why do I say that? My notes tell the story. The Bohan, which last month tasted one-dimensional and not all that expressive, the bottle I just finished this week was markedly different. Same with the Sonoma Coast, which I called a bit syrupy in the first pass, yet I enjoyed the wine far more when it played the starring role. Finally, the Falstaff, which was not well received over the dinner with the guys the previous month, I liked it far better this time and the wine took a few days to really uncoil and reveal what was inside of it.

Why does this matter? It’s relevant b/c context, setting, procedure and parameters affect the results. The generosity of Jamie allowed me to step back and evaluate a second time the wines and do it by modifying the frame. I could have very well found the wines to be as I did last month, and I would have come back and said that, but the truth here is that the wines indeed showed better.

At the end of the day, you can take my notes with a grain of salt and lump me in with the rest of the critics. Hell, I’m one dude just sharing my thoughts, just bear in mind that I enjoyed the luxury of taking my time and making one wine, one producer the focus, and the results did change. I want to thank Jamie for letting me take this journey, take it twice.

• 2006 Kutch Pinot Noir Russian River Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (11/12/2015)
    Good on Jay Selman for bringing this to the dinner for contrast, as we put this alongside all of the new 2014s and nearly all the 2013s Kutch pinots. Listed abv of 14.4% and 30% whole cluster. For me, this showed a hard red fruit candy, heavier texture and a spicy finish that was a bit too much for my delicate palate. It was cool to visit this wine from the perspective of Jamie’s history but I would clearly rather stick with the new era Kutch style.
  • 2013 Kutch Pinot Noir Bohan Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/12/2015)
    Opened at 2PM, tried immediately and then re-tasted several hours later over dinner. 100% whole cluster, neutral oak, 12.% abv. The earlier tasting of the wine showed a portrait of lithe weight, along with minerally strawberry and cherry, with a zesty, citrus quality in the long finish. Terrific minerality, licorice and cool cherry also keeps the finish going strong. Over dinner, it did richen up some, with the fruit darkening in cherry and raspberry tones, along with the same supporting mineral. The additional air also allowed the stems to emerge in the aromatic and palate but they fit in nicely. Finishes with a lovely rocky tone. FWIW, this seemed to be the winner at the table too amongst the palates who were alongside mine. Overall, an intense, lovely wine that is thematic for what Jamie does best.
  • 2013 Kutch Pinot Noir Falstaff Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/12/2015)
    Opened at 2PM, tried immediately and then re-tasted several hours later over dinner. 100% whole cluster, neutral oak, 12.1% abv. For the early tasting, I found the wine infused with a citrus and smoky note, tarter-edged blue and red fruit, along with red apple skin. Finishes with a loamy note, along with the same funk and citrus. Reminds me a lot like Burgundy. Later over dinner, I found the same red apple, lithe in weight, showing the same cool citrus note, strawberry and a red fruited delicacy. The stems also infuse the palate a bit more now, too. Overall, this showed very well and is developing in the bottle nicely.
  • 2013 Kutch Pinot Noir McDougall Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/12/2015)
    Opened at 2PM, tried immediately and then re-tasted several hours later over dinner. 100% whole cluster, 30% new oak, 12.3% abv. The early taste showed lots of good structure, supported by spicy, cherry fruit, mineral and iron. It has a brooding, meaty quality. There is intensity, reminding me a lot of cool climate CA syrah with that pure focused energy that comes with say the Wind Gap syrahs. Over dinner, just an awesome aromatic, floral and spicy from the stems. With more time in the glass, more minerality shows. My notes showed two things I had also scribbled and circled, the words reading bitchen and awesome. Like 2013 Falstaff, this too is aging nicely in the bottle and showed the 'Doug character.
  • 2014 Kutch Pinot Noir Bohan Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (12/14/2015)
    This is my last visit with the 2014s, having re-worked through the others (Sonoma Coast, Falstaff and McDougall) in the past month. I opened this about 3 hours ago, no decant. Poured the first small glass at room temp, 66 degrees. Geez, the aromatics on this thing are great: stems, pepper, smoke and something floral. The palate is what really got my attention. Smooth, silky, just the most gorgeous, polished cherry fruit, simply pure. With the cherry, which is the dominant player, is strawberry and as best as I can describe it, a liquefied minerality that made me truly stop and pause. god, so this such a complete opposite experience to the bottle I had six weeks ago, almost like they are two different wines…with the chill on it, really just a cooling a few degrees, this is as good, just as expected a little firmer. The tannin shows up more and the wine is a little more slatey and tense. The fruit also darkens more, think now black cherry versus the red cherry from earlier. Still, this just drinks with such flavor and energy, so good. More for tomorrow…a day later, this stuff is just crazy to drink. At once, slick cherry, then the next moment a savory black cherry, the next moment something pure and exotic in flavor. There is plenty of fruit, structure and stuffing here so the drink window on this will go out for some time. Lots to like here.
  • 2014 Kutch Pinot Noir Bohan Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/12/2015)
    Opened at 2PM, tried immediately and then re-tasted several hours later over dinner. 100% whole cluster, no new wood, 13.5% abv. And, like all the 2014s, was bottled in late August 2015. For the early tasting, this showed a richness that was similar to the Sonoma Coast and what my notes said ‘new barrel’ tannin. Given this saw neutral oak, chalk that up to being some other component. This also has the intensity of the '14 McDougall but it lacks the polish and definition of that wine, instead here being a bit one dimensional. Maybe air and re-tasting over dinner later would help it. When I revisited the wine over dinner, it still came across the same, lacking definition. It exhibited a bing cherry fruit, acidity and the finish was pretty rugged. But here is the difference, in comparison to the '14 Sonoma Coast. That wine is more rambunctious and forward, whereas this Bohan is just simply coiled up, with the raw materials yet to weave together. As good as the '13 Bohan is evolving, I would expect this to go the same way. Of note, the '13 is about 1.2% lower in ABV than this '14.
  • 2014 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (12/3/2015)
    This is bottle #2, a fresh reprise of the one from about 4 weeks ago, when we tasted all the other 2014s and a few 2013s together. This time, the wine is going solo, only me tasting it over successive nights. I opened this about an hour ago, put a light chill to it, good stem used too for my impression. This drinks more like the 2014 McDougall, so think darker, fleshier and more fruit centric. There is a creamy fruit purity to the texture, quite easy to like. Lots of purple fruit, at least giving me the sensation of that flavor, which is not blue or red alone, but perhaps both together forming something of a sum of their parts. Light touch of root beer, then a cool sense of pinot funk, then raspberry skin and a closing dose of bright acidity. At least for Night 1, this is really quite pure and squarely enjoyable with a core of moderate complexity…Night 2, still juicy with the purple/blue fruit (more blue toned as it warms). Appearing tonight now are the stems, which have created an herbal seasoning in the palate, along with a citrus rind component and some dusty, light tannin. I dig this for being juicy, stemmy spicy and flavorful…Day 3, no fade. For what is here, at around $40, it’s terrific and represents well what CA PN can do at this price point for an AVA blend. As for a drink window, it seems silly to attach one to a wine this young but that aside, I do think this will drink fine with release and another 5 or so years out.
  • 2014 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/12/2015)
    Opened at 2PM, tried immediately and then re-tasted several hours later over dinner. 100% whole cluster, no new wood, 12.9% abv. And, like all the 2014s, was bottled in late August 2015. I had a mixed experience with this wine, candidly. It was better for me at the earlier tasting, showing rose water, blue and raspberry tones, although it did come across as fruit forward and seemed to resemble more of a barrel sampled wine. Over dinner, it was certainly approachable, with the red fruit sweetening up and the stems imparting some influence, too. My notes even had the term syrup written down, which I would use to associate to something that is texturally more dense and riper in tone. I’m going to be interested to see where this wine heads into the future, as for me I don’t feel like it has matured yet and is still quite youthful and awkward. Knowing Jamie and his focus, contrasted against what I have described here, I would expect the wine to evolve and come around in time.
  • 2014 Kutch Pinot Noir McDougall Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/23/2015)
    This is a reprise, as I tasted this wine just 2 weeks ago under different conditions. On that night, it was about 8 Kutch releases, all 13s and 14s. And, over dinner and not on successive days. This time, just me drinking and following it over 3 days. Now, to the wine. I remember this wine well from 2 weeks ago, as it showed an open quality that was approachable and engaging. This bottle too shows that way. The words that come to mind for me right now would be generous, depth, saturating, dark. And in seeing these words, if I read them from another TN writer, I might wonder if the wine was overdone with too much fruit, too much alcohol or stuffing, whatever overdone may mean. I have to say, this ain’t. What you get here is plush, a juicy tone, but lots of generous blue fruit, a delicious, gentle acidity. What about stemmy? Hell, it’s 100% whole cluster, right? It ain’t stemmy. It’s as if the 'Doug fruit and approach just consumes all of it. Maybe they emerge over the next few days but they’re not here tonight. Oaky? None, and FWIW, it’s done in neutral wood. The wine finishes with a gentle brushing of tannin. I’ll retaste tomorrow and post again…Day 2, man, this is a super wine. It is saturated with fruit, stem accents, and some finishing slate, just a beauty…and for Day 3 and what is the final glass, this is just really delicious. There is structure here, some stem accents, dark raspberry and blueberry fruit, darker color and savory/loamy note. All in, it’s got the broad shoulders and big boy pants of 'Doug fruit, yet not blowsy.
  • 2014 Kutch Pinot Noir McDougall Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/12/2015)
    Opened at 2PM, tried immediately and then re-tasted several hours later over dinner. 100% whole cluster, no new wood, 12.4% abv. And, like all the 2014s, was bottled in late August 2015. In my early tasting, this came across like 'Doug often shows, with an intense, brooding quality. Dark raspberry and an earthy, blueberry quality. The finish was a bit chalky and tight. Inside of it, I found kind of a peaty quality, too. Over dinner later, this really improved and unfolded the finish to make the wine approachable. It picked up a distinct textural polish, supported with a dark raspberry and light mineral finish. Of all the 2014s, this seemed to be fairly complete already and very easy to drink and enjoy.
  • 2014 Kutch Pinot Noir Falstaff Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/18/2015)
    Round 2 of '14 Falstaff. Last week, I tasted all the '14s together, over dinner and on just one evening with several other smart palates. This bottle, it just be me, over what should be 2-3 nights. Opened about 2 hours ago, ideal temp, no decant, burg stem. For Night 1, a few things pop. For one, the aromatic of stem, although they are seasoning and present, not dominating and green smelling. Yet, they are there. The palate is juicy, also accented by the stems again and they give an herbal touch. There is a peaty quality to the cherry and blueberry fruit that expresses as juicy and fleshy, with some rocky tannin closing the finish…Day 2, enjoying the wine with the same approach as yesterday. And, the wine is very similar to that profile in tone and taste. It retains the juicy core, more blue fruited tonight than red, with the mild stemmy influence and the brushing of rock in the finish. Tonight, I also find some of the citrus peel note, which is what I also found in the '13 a few weeks ago. Perhaps that aspect of Falstaff is the nature of its terroir? At this stage, this is softer styled, medium weight, juicy…Day 3 and last glass, this is the best showing. It’s finally picked up some edges, some astringent grip. Still juicy but finally has a zesty tone. I’m not the type that will say a wine will be this or be that with time–that’s a debate for another space but this wine is better, is different on this final night so take that info as you wish. I did enjoy the last glass above all the others and will look ahead to see how this will taste in say 2016, even beyond.
  • 2014 Kutch Pinot Noir Falstaff Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/12/2015)
    Opened at 2PM, tried immediately and then re-tasted several hours later over dinner. 100% whole cluster, no new wood, 12.9% abv. And, like all the 2014s, was bottled in late August 2015. Let me put out there right away that this bottle may have had some TCA in it. When I opened it, I caught a whiff of something musty, as my corking practice is to always smell every bottle before I pour and of the 7 Kutch wines I opened in sequence, this is the only that had that quality. Then later over dinner, Chris Seiber (who was seated next to me) commented that he thought it may have had some taint. No one led his remark so in the end, there may be some light taint to this bottle. That said, what I found in the early tasting was zesty blue and red fruits, a saline quality and a unique, Indian spice note in the finish. Over dinner, this became juicy and really tightened up with tannin. I found the fruit a little darker too, with a licorice note in the finish. The stems were pretty assertive too, being the most noticeable of all the 2014s. Not sure what to make of this wine now. Whether the TCA was a player (even to the light degree it may have been present), this wine like the '14 Bohan seems pretty coiled and in need of more bottle time. I love Kutch Falstaff so I will; reserve any judgment until I can taste another bottle in the future and provide another evaluation.

Posted from CellarTracker

That is one heck of an evaluation Frank. It is interesting that you bring up the setting, as I have had all my best experiences with Jamie’s wines in a small dinner setting versus a raucous tasting. I like to sit with them, focus on the intricacies and get a real feel for the wines over a period of hours instead of minutes. I have not delved too deeply into the '13s lately, though a '13 Bohan, served during a small dinner Thanksgiving week, was a true star, and something I really would want to follow over a decade or more.

Buek, thanks. I know we have palates that are well-aligned and we drink with the same passion. Appreciate you reading the notes. Happy holidays, buddy.

FMIII, awesome notes for one of my fave CA Pinot producers, thx so much. As for the 2013s, imho they’re really starting to shut down. Can’t wait to try the 2014s.

I also really appreciate you setting out so much of your process, along with these fabulously detailed notes, Frank. I think I’ll resign my commission as FallTacular notetaker and leave it to you!

If you want, I’m happy to post my notes from 13s bottled and 14 barrel tastes from last May. I do wonder, particularly with the Bohan—do you think that even 6 weeks of additional stabilization in bottle might have made some of the difference from the “shock and lock” process that comes with bottling a wine?

Interesting that you mention the lighting in the restaurant. One of my best friends took me to Noir last week, the full sight-sensory deprivation restaurant. It was an utterly fascinating experience and we both vowed that if we go back, we’ll order wine and taste in that environment.

Glad Jay brought the 06 indeed. I still have one bottle of the 06 McDougall for opening next summer and…someday when I get to share it with Jamie, and perhaps others, for sentimentality, a last bottle of the initial 05 release.

Just opened a 2009 McDougall the other night (Jamie, if you read this, I brought it to share with Daun and Jeff) and it’s showing finely mature for my tastes.

I think what I like seeing best here, Frank, is that you’re not cheerleading in your notes–just calling what you see and taking time and effort to assess your own experience.

There are, of course, personal friend-reasons, but most of it is the quality of the wines, for me to say that, other than Sauternes, Kutch wines make up the primary producer in my cellar at present. Of course, if I could get my hands on some more reasonably-priced Prager or Cotat, that might change :slight_smile:

Have a wonderful holidays, hermano.

Mike

Frank,

Thanks for sharing your notes - and your insights. There is no doubt that context plays a part in how a wine is perceived - and food for that matter.

What’s important here is that you ‘gave the wines a second chance’ and truly took your time with each. You stand out as someone willing do to so - and I think if more people did, they’d find more enjoyment in many wines that might otherwise be seen as ‘so so’ or ‘adequate’ at best.

This is also why it is challenging to taste a number of wines at a single setting. The positives are that it allows you to easily compare and contrast in the same context; the negative is that it is impossible to evaluate a wine in a ‘singular’ fashion as you’ve done here.

Cheers.

Thanks Frank, one of the few pinots I buy every year. Sounds like an amazing tasting.

I think this is the critical take-away: context matters. On an intellectual level, we generally recognize that but it is welcoming to see it in action the way Frank has laid it out.
I looked back on some of my recent notes on tasting California Pinot Noir, including Jamie Kutch’s wines, and note the importance of context.
While I did not have the luxury of tasting the same wine as Frank did with the 2014s, I have seen where, in larger group settings, a bigger, rounder style of wine tends to raise its head above the group. A lighter, greener, more herbal and floral wine (e.g. higher % of whole cluster) is not as intriguing.

An example - last month, I hosted two separate blind tastings. One was 2013 California Pinots and the second was for 2012 California Pinots (with one bottle of PG Balcombe thrown in for fun). We labelled those with the names of singer songwriters. Wines included Rivers Marie Summa, Ceritas Hacienda Secoya, WS Calegari, Poe Hudson Vineyard, Sandler SLH, Radio-Coteau la Neblina, and the Kutch Falstaff.

At each tasting, when moving from glass to glass, sampling with food, and over the course of about 4 hours of the back-and-forth, the herbal, lighter, and more acidic wines, became less interesting. The richer wines, so long as they were not candied, generated more interest and enjoyment. Perhaps it was the context of moving from glass to glass - one wine to another - that made the difference. Perhaps it was fatigue of the senses.

The week following, I did have some wines from a few of the same producers (Kutch and Poe) at the dinner table where, when they were the star of the show, the single act performing on the stage, they held captive the audience. There was a higher level of enjoyment than when they were merely #6 of 9 (or in the case of the 2012 Kutch Falstaff, Cat Power).

Frank, how do these compare against the 2012s?

I appreciate the posts and the perspectives on tasting and settings. We don’t talk enough about it here.

Big Tex, I find the 2012s to be denser, more stuffing. This doesn’t mean the 2013s or 2014s are not flavorful but it means for me that the 2012 vintage, like it did for other wineries, the wines are darker and a bit denser. Example. I gush over the 2012 Falstaff, as it has a richness and purity that makes me faint. Yet, I also dig the 2013 and 2014, as these show a more refined sense, but are equally good.

I keep all my brilliant impressions over on CT so you can always look there and catch up on my astute observations.

Thanks Frank. Appreciate the perspective and your notes. Of course, I’ll be buying this year!

Popped a 2014 Bohan Vineyard Pinot Noir tonight and found this thread. I haven’t had too many of Jamie’s wines, but the few bottles here and there that I’ve been fortunate to try, I’ve very much enjoyed. This one, stylistically, was a bit different, and quite enjoyable in its own way. Specifically, the hue and density of this one was a bit darker and heftier than what I was expecting from my limited sample size…and it’s damn delicious.

First off, Frank, that’s some damn fine tasting note prose you have going on there. And I think the wine has changed a good bit in the 3 months since you’ve posted this tasting note. The nose is lifted, with wispy fruit, spice box, herbs. I get the polished cherry fruit and liquified minerality you speak to above, but to me it’s not the dominant character. It’s there, intense and direct, on the attack. And then, these characters get enveloped by a meaty, savory, lavender glove that broadens out in the midpalate. It’s just…beefier, broader, weightier than the other Kutch’s I’ve had.

I know I’m taking the quote out of context, but it works for me, in that the framework of this 2014 is what makes it special for me. There’s a gravelly texture, and a crunchiness to the tannins. But the finish is seamless, and it’s carried by an earthy, loamy, spicy stem character that’s both powerful and graceful. And long. The lingering flavors don’t recall wine, it’s almost like having taken a bite of lamb or grass fed beef. All in all it’s just a super tasty, layered, complex wine. A dark cherry/plum/mineral core, wrapped in a savory blanket, in delicious, tannic, firm packaging. This is where I’m a bit out of my league, but if the Henri Boillot Epenottes I had the other night is typical of the appellation, then this might be an apt old world comparison - dark, dense, concentrated, structured.

In regard to FMIII’s note on the '14 Falstaff from 11/12/15, we tasted the '14 Falstaff in a blind tasting of CA and OR pinots the week before last and it tasted off. It was not corked. The was a slightly ?cheesy note on the nose and a slightly sour finish. It finished last in the rankings. The Bohan did considerably better. I only have one remaining bottle, so will wait some time to try. Hopefully this was not a representative bottle.

Robert, I know with my 14 Staff that I opened, I tracked it across three days. Any idea how your bottle was treated for that blind flight you did? I put less runway onto the 14 Bohan, and like your perceptions, I did like the Bohan better. I’m also wondering about context…I do believe that context has impact to my perceptions and so I wonder, what is your thought on context that you were a part of in your blind setting? Did some of the other wines taste different or not as you expected? My context as I explained above was a factor for me.

Dan, I do recall that the 14 Bohan was the ‘biggest’ wine of the vintage for Jamie, I think in the mid 13s for ABV. I’d think the higher intensity and maybe color is driven by the larger raw materials frame that the wine started from?

I’d think so too, Frank. As we all know, there are many tools in a winemaker’s box that can influence the intensity (saignee, sweetspotter/RO) and color (enzymes, cold soak) of a wine…but nothing comes close to that of the raw materials…and given how the wines I’ve tried of his do vary in profile with the sites and vintage, I’m guessing that Jamie is eschewing a lot of these manipulative techniques to promote site and vintage specificity over any sort of “house style”. I’m glad this one is bigger, and darker, and different. I was in the mood for that kind of wine last night. I wouldn’t have to reach beyond the Kutch shelf in my cellar to find a wine that matches my mood - those are they types of producers whose wines I get excited to drink.

Edited to add that, as I was thinking about this post after submitting it, that the obvious counter to the minimal winemaker influence treatise above would be the use of stems; this wine being a perfect example as the whole cluster influence was significant. But even there, across wines the stem influence waxes and wanes. Many of my favorite PN producers in CA modulate their stem inclusion as a function of site and vintage. I’m guessing Jamie does the same. With two of my favorite producers whose wines I have much more experience that Kutch - Joe Webb at Foursight and Jason Drew, I know that stem content is a lot by lot, reactionary decision - based, again, on site and vintage, rather than dogma. So while it does fall somewhat outside of the “promotion of specificity over house style” credo mentioned above, I think when used judiciously, whole cluster can amplify terroir rather than overwhelm it.

And even in a wine like the 14 Bohan, unless you’re standing with the winemaker looking at the grapes as they come in from the vineyard, it’s really hard to second guess a decision like how much whole cluster to retain by the taste of the finished wine at a singular data point in time. Sometimes a wine, or site, or vintage, needs to piggy-back on its stems to fully express its terroir…in other words, perhaps without the structure added by its stems to the '14 Bohan we would have had a wine that had been lacking, diffuse in its expression, less true to its terroir. Perhaps this is a wine that is still on its ascendancy and will shed the chrysalis of its whole cluster influence with additional bottle aging. Perhaps the vines had a tough year, and the wine needed more stems in '14 to help with flavor/focus. Only Jamie knows. I know I really like it.

My dinner group drank this bottle (and the 2010 Rhys San Mateo Home Vineyard) earlier this week. To offer a comparison with some whole-cluster fermented red Burgundies, I hastily grabbed from my warehouse the 2010 Chandon des Briailles Pernand-Vergelesses Les Vergelesses and 2011 Bize Savigny-Les-Beaune Fournaux. I also grabbed the 2010 Chevillon NSG Bousselots to offer a comparison to middle-of-the-road, well-regarded red Burgundy. Sadly, the Rhys was corked. Out of the gates, the Chandon des Briailles and the Bize were the palest in color, but the most aromatic, savory and complex. The Chevillon began as sort of a beast, relatively speaking. Relative to the others, the Kutch was less aromatic and simple. The Chandon des Briailles and Bize improved over the evening, remaining in the aromatic, pretty, sappy red-fruit realm. By hour two, the Chevillon had evolved beautifully to show dark, soil inflected fruit with a eucalyptus top note. To all six tasters at the table, the Kutch was blunt/four-square relative to the others. On the other hand, the 2012 Rhys Chardonnay Alpine Vineyard held its own with the 2012 Cherisey Blangy Genelotte, and it wasn’t until some time in the glass that some oak and tropical fruit aromas and flavors spoke of California. All six tasters at the table identified it as the California Chardonnay, but it took some time.

Here is an update to the 13 McDougall. Enjoying this tonight.

• 2013 Kutch Pinot Noir McDougall Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (8/7/2016)
    Opened yesterday and took to a dinner party, bringing home about 1/2 of it, leaving it in the fridge simply under cork until this evening. Have this dialed in at an ideal temp. This pours fairly dark and drinks with a plumpness. The stems add some savory quality to the aromatics, a cracked spice kind of thing for sure. The fruit is a mix of savory and plump cherry and raspberry, with a touch of earth hitting the edges. It finishes with the same earth and savory notes, even some blue tones as it warms. As this vintage of Dougie ages forward, it is resembling now something more juicy and savory and it is also entering a nice place where I think it’s drinking nicely. Finally, there is richness here too, but don’t confuse my remark to be syrupy or heavy–it is not. Lovely again.

Here is a revisit to the 2013 Falstaff. Delicious, elegant and I am going to guess some may not care for this due to the lithe expression and the stem inclusion. As with Jamie’s wines, as he continues to evolve his style and chops, I do like the wines and they continue to form a nice foundation of my CA PN in the cellar. Thanks for reading.

• 2013 Kutch Pinot Noir Falstaff Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (5/28/2017)
    Opened yesterday, had a glass and then stuffed the cork all the way back in and took to dinner. Never had any so back with us it came. Re-opened today and now having a go with another glass. The stems give this some herbal quality, alongside the soil and bright cherry core. Red apple, cracked spices and a lithe texture. The acidity is present here, rounding out the wine nicely. I think now about the 2012 and how I was previously really enamored with that wine but I think now that the 2013 is drinking for me in a way that I now prefer it to the 2012 (certainly with the recent 2012 I had). There is tension to with the wine so I see this continuing to age nicely. Beautiful.

Thanks for the update Frank. You have been opening a lot of Kutch Pinots in recent weeks.

It might be a little deceptive, Buek. The thread here was what we did back in 2015, when we did all the 2014s and a smattering of 2013. We did do all the 2015s last month blind. Hey, while I have you, are you willing to open one of your 2015 SC and then post a note back? I’d dig seeing your impressions on that wine.