Hit me with Spanish Red values

I have always heard Spain mentioned as good for value in wine.
The wine I have had most from Spain is Tres Picos Garnacha and for $13 I think it is a good value even though it is a very ripe fruit driven wine.
I found some Alto Moncayo Veraton for $25 which seems would be a step up from Tres Picos but not sure if its still a value at twice the price.
I had a Priorat at a wine bar I liked very much but couldn’t find it anywhere. I tried a couple Priorats in the $20 range and decided I would have to spend more to find something nice.
So I am wondering what else I might try be it Garnacha, Tempranillo, Monastrell or a blend ideally under $20.

1 Like

These are a few of our go to Spanish daily drinkers:

La Rioja Alta Vina Arana Reserva 2008 - Viña Arana Gran Reserva 2015 and 2015 Magnum | Decántalo

Bodegas Valdemar Inspiracion Edicion Limitada 2010 - http://www.winemadeeasy.com/inspiracion-valdemar-seleccion-2010-750-ml-38028.html

Bodegad Obalo Crianza Rioja 2012 - Wine Store - The Wine Buyer

I think Can Blau is a terrific $15ish wine that is easy to find. Crowd pleasing fruit, but with a Spanish character to it. Often available at Costco.

1 Like

^ +1

Permanently ruined. I can not even glance after the days of Sierra Carche dog show.

1 Like

Bodegas LAN Crianzas are great. Many Riojas available under 20 are superb wines.

Roger

Cal Pla Black Slate Priorat (Eric Solomon)
Cune Rioja’s

1 Like

For around the price of your cheap garnachas, I’ve enjoyed Riojas from Lopez de Haro (not Heredia, ah if only Tondonia were under fifteen bucks), crianzas and reserves. Pretty traditionally styled and great value. Hell, traditional Rioja at higher price points are also tremendous values for that matter, but that’s not what you’re asking.

Then again our palates may be polar opposites: I don’t enjoy either those cheap high-point garnachas nor the pricey Priorats.

1 Like

Muga Reserva.
Finca Allende
Murrieta Reserva

All classic Rioja, with the oak signature, usually in mid-$20s.

Try Veleta (DominioBuenavista.com). Contact Nola Palomar on WB if you’d like to buy some.

1 Like

Bodegas Olivares Altos de la Hoya Monastrell

Mad Dogs & Englishmen Monastrell

Casa de LA Ermita Jumilla (Monst/Temp/CabS/PVer)

I don’t find Finca Allende to be classic/traditional personally…I’ve stopped buying it.

But Muga is definitely good old school, and good value, and should please those who like Bordeaux.

I will also chime in with the Lopez de Haro and CVNE suggestions. (WL usually has a good spectrum of those)

Don’t know where your cut off for values might be, but Peter Sisseck makes a super Ribera del Duero – Hacienda Monasterio.

The market has recognized its quality, but sometimes you can find it in the $30’s.

PJ’s in NYC has a broad spectrum of Spanish wines, top to bottom, and although its a little harder for me to deal with them because they are a UPS shipper, sometimes they have items others don’t.

If you can still find 2010 crianza’s in the market, those are a good place to start, since it was a nice year.

However many of those have sold through.

Perhaps GregT will chime in here, but if he doesn’t, you might consider searching for his posts. In addition to being knowledgeable, he has a gift for writing about wine.

Sierra Carche is great wine. As I recall, one of the fat guys at the Wine Advocate drank some while taking an all expenses paid hot air balloon trip with Pancho Campo, 3 hookers, an entire Cinco Jotas jamon iberico de bellota, and an ounce of blow, or stumbling haphazardly with the bulls in Pamplona with Pancho Campo and a suitcase full of Euros he found abandoned after the bulls ran by. I forget which. Anyway, he loved the wine and gave it 103 points. I think they bottle it as El Nido now.

Wow lots of great suggestions here.

I can get 2012 Can Blau for $9.95

2008 Murrieta for $16.93

2011 Muga Reserva for $21.95

I am leaning towards Murrieta since it has some age on it, price is right, and CT reviews seem to be good.

1 Like

Finding great Spanish values is like shooting fish in a barrel.

WTSO + Cellar Tracker Reviews = Score!

1 Like

+1
Usually can find this for about $18 and it is quite tasty.

Have you been able to unload the cases you bought to sell at a profit??
[rofl.gif] champagne.gif

Agree with the above. I also use Wine Searcher to make sure the pricing is in line. While Rioja gets all the press, I prefer Ribera Del Duero (particularly '04,'05, and '09). I’ve been quite pleased with some of the other appellations(Bierzo, Jumilla, Navarra, Priorat) too, but will also note that there seems to be more bottle variation in Spanish wines.

Very affordable everyday drinkers:

2012 Gil Monastrell (Silver label)
2009 Tardencuba
2005 Temperancia (Bernard Magrez)
2004 Pago Altolandon
2006 Marco Real Crianza

I did try this one a few months a go and it just didn’t do it for me, kind of monotone if I remember.
Could be bottle variation? It was way below the one I had at the wine bar (Sao de Coster)

Black slate
Evodia
Don Ramon
Mosen cleto
Mestizaje
Honoro Vera
La bruja averia