Changes in Auction House Buyer's Premium

Hi Everyone,

The recent thread on winebid increasing the buyer’s premium got me thinking about buyer’s premiums at auctions. I think I recall reading that Christie’s increased their premium a few years ago and Bonhams in 2011 or so. Do you happen to know of any other instances where there was a change in buyer’s premiums? I’m thinking about running a test to see how much changes in premiums actually have an effect upon the prices of bottles. Any help you have would be greatly appreciated.

[worship.gif] [worship.gif]

Buyer’s premiums have been slowly rising for about 15 years. In the 90’s, it was a somewhat uniform 15% for most of the auction houses. Since then, there has been a point or two increase every couple of years.

Thanks Ray for the note. I’m a relative newcomer to wine and know almost nothing at all about wine auctions having never been to one yet. I’m curious if you remember any of these specific raises and whether or not they really got underneath the skin of buyers as the winebid one most recently has here. I’ll keep rummaging through google to see what I can find, but this is one of those instances where I feel that wine berserkers really shines. There is so much knowledge on this site that goes past where google leaves off.