2013 Napa Cabernets - Top Favorites So Far?

Carter OG & Grand Daddy BTKs
Carter Fortuna
Myriad Dr. Crane & GIII
Pott Kaliholmanok
Mark Herold Stagecoach
Mending Wall Cabernet
Boich GIII
Outpost Howell Mountain

As I’m sure is the case with many of you, I’ve had some phenomenal 2013 Napa Cabernets and blends so far this year. As 2016 fast approaches and the 2013 vintage allocation shipments arrive at your door, I’d love to know if you just couldn’t help yourself and have already popped the corks on some amazing 2013 Napa Cabernets. I post on and follow Cellar Tracker (csimm1161), but a good 'ol fashioned back and forth on this post would be most helpful to see what 2013 wines have really grabbed your attention.

For me, the bold and rich Mike Smith wines (Carter & Myriad especially) have shown the most potential so far. Although a bit of an outlier, the Mark Herold Stagecoach is also crazy good! Thanks in advance for anyone’s willingness to share!

2 Likes

Realm The Bard

1 Like

+1 on the 2013 Mending Wall. Heck of a wine.

1 Like

So far

Realm Bard
Rivers Marie
Becklyn

I dont think i have opened any others. These have been great though

1 Like

Pott Actaeon
Bevan Sugarloaf Mountain

Haven’t opened too many others yet but will probably open a Schrader around the holidays. Impressions so far are great…very full bodied with plush tannins - think these should age gracefully.

Has anybody tasted 2013 Drinkward Peschon yet??

1 Like

The 2013 Mending Wall really is loaded with potential. TRB did very well for the second vintage release of that Cabernet.

I absolutely LOVE the 2012 Bevans, especially the BDX red blends. Glad to know the 2013 Sugarloaf is up there yet again. Same with 2012 Rivers-Marie and Realm; I have loved them as well. I’ve been wondering which of my 2013 RM and Realm Cabernets I want to dive into first.

I have never had Drinkward Peschon. The 2012 seemed to have a totality of “mild” reviews from the pros and Cellar Tracker. I am certainly curious about them though… big, rich style, or more on the elegant side?? (I surely favor the former over the latter).

…Trying to figure out what I can do to convince J. Smallwood to crack open one of his 2013 Schraders and comment on it! My allocations are slumbering in the cellar while I impatiently stare at them, deciding which one to kill first.

Thanks for the suggestions so far folks!

'13 Hobel is their best yet , right up there with the great '09.

Venge Bone ash drinks like a $200.00 bottle, 2 hour decant,

Carter Three Kings
Carter OG
Carter Grand Daddy
Carter Weitz
Carter Fortuna
Myriad Elysian
Myriad Three Twins
Myriad GIII
Myriad NV
Rivers Marie Lore
Rivers Marie Panek
Becklyn NV
Apsara Kenefick Ranch
Apsara Amoenus

Seems to be a common thread there.

…Looks like Mike Smith gets the 2013 vintage nod so far?!

DP is a little more classically styled and, to my palate, more bordelaise and more refined. If you love Bevan, you will not love DP as much, but many of us, myself included, find it to be a beautiful wine and always priced well below its quality, by Napa standards at least.

I’ve only opened up to 2011, which, in a lean year, had beautiful aromatics and length but was certainly red-fruited with light pyrazine and herbal notes - one might have guessed an old world Cab Franc in a ripe year blind.

Well, we are hosting a few folks this weekend, so perhaps I can pop either an LPV or RBS! I don’t require a whole lot of convincing [cheers.gif]

Bevan Wildfoote
Rivers-Marie Lore
Myriad Elysian
Venge Bone Ash
They are all modern and big wines.

Hard to say since most of the best 2013 are only just being bottled.

Top favorites so far.

Yes, definitely SO FAR… I fully recognize that there are other fantastic wines out there that still have not been released yet. (But hell, I welcome any feedback about barrel tastings too…2013, 2014…). I’ve had a number of 2014 barrel samples from Pott and they were incredible! Too bad the Arsenal (Greer) is leaving his lineup. What’s more, I was lucky enough to try some of the 2015 juice going into the 2015 Myriad Dr. Crane and Quivet Kenefick, and they were great (the Dr. Crane was especially ethereal - no surprise there! - not that one can fully assess a wine that hasn’t even had any barrel age, etc, but it’s fun to imagine where it will go based on the core fruit).

I’m certainly jealous that D. Richmond and Brian Tuite have already popped a Myriad Elysian. Bravo!!! …Do I pop a Carter or Myriad tonight with smoked pork ham hock?.. Hmmmm, decisions, decisions… My '12 GTOs have been calling me!..

J. Smallwood is about to break apart the Schrader Fantastic Four, eh?! Nice. I’m actually most curious about the LPV (mainly because RP decided to drop it down to a 94, from an original 100 point potential wine). He referenced some of the “earthy” undertones, which I wouldn’t otherwise think would be a detractor necessarily.

Looks like I also need to get on the Venge list!..I have never had their wines yet. Any significant difference between the Bone Ash and the Reserve?

Thanks as always everyone!

Kapcsandy Rapszodia
Blankiet Prince of Hearts
Myriad Dr. Crane
Schrader LPV

My two best (so far):
Carter 3 Kings
Myriad GIII

Honorable Mention:
Mending Wall (probably should have given it even more air; nonetheless quite good)
12c (regular bottling; haven’t tried G3 reserve yet)

Needs more time/air:
Quivet (NV and single vineyards were all pretty tight)
Apsara (Kenefick and Amoenus)

May just not be my thing:
Post Parade

1 Like

I’m certainly glad I went wallet-deep on my Carters and Myriads this go-around. My buyers-remorse isn’t so bad after hearing the feedback on the 2013 Mike Smith wines from everyone.

… Who am I kidding?!?.. I would’ve bought all I was allocated anyway, and then some if I could! Some of those Carter and Myriad Cabernets are gonna turn out pretty darn special… Probably the best of 2013 for Napa Cabernets IMHO.