Costco Reds

Making a run this weekend to Costco (2.5 hours away). What are the good buys right now? Here’s my list so far. And the French stuff is new for me. Can’t remember ever trying a French red…or any for that matter.

2013 Kirkland Signature Stags Leap District Napa Cabernet Sauvignon, $19.99
Chateau Ferriere 2012, Margaux, $34.59
Chateau Hanteillan Haut Medoc, $11.99
Chateau de Belcier 2011 Cotes de Bordeaux, $10.99
Joel Gott 815 Cabernet Sauvignon, $13.39

I don’t buy a whole lot at Costco… My local CostCos selection really is terrible and there are several decent shops near me that have a good selection of low cost wines for Tuesday nights.

That being said, I’ve found that the 2013 Kirkland Signature Napa Mountain Cuvee isn’t bad at all. My local Costco also had a 2012 Kirkland Oakville Cab that was a really nice weekday wine a while back. Alas, it is now gone. which is also fine. Pretty tough to find a wine with Oakville cab grapes for under $20.

Thanks. I’ll add the Oakville to my list.

Fight on!
(My dad went to USC)

Monsanto CCR is usually at mine for less than $20, tasty.
Just be careful, lots of sediment. They seem to cycle through a lot of stuff. I have had bottles from Costco, thought they were good, gone back a day or two later, all gone. I would have cellar tracker at the ready on my phone when you get there.
Boomer Sooner…

I really enjoyed the 2012 Kirkland Oakville Cab, if they have any left you should try some, $19.99 a bottle.
My local has also had the 2012 Mondavi Napa Valley Cab, 2012 Kirkland RRV Chardonnay is pretty tasty and sub $20.

I was turned on to the 2008 Angosto SVD and really enjoy it. Dark, brooding wine but something I enjoy from time to time at $12/bottle.

I tried a 2013 Kirkland Signature Napa Valley that cost around $19. It was pretty good. It leaned slightly towards the bigger side of the scale but was quite enjoyable and not over the top.

As to good buys for reds, the Costco local to me also carries Produttori Barbaresco around $25 (2010 and now 2011). Good wine at a good price.

My wife brought home a Kirkland Côte du Rhone the other day and it was a brett bomb. Avoid this wine.

Vina Robles Petite Sirah $16 ($24 at winery)

Tres Picos Garnacha $13 (standard price)

Every time, I walk into to Costco I wonder what all the hype is about??? Most of the time its a complete waste of time. Never found a deal at Costco that I couldn’t meet or beat locally at one of our many frequent local sales. Most of the time I pay less locally at a store who cares about wine and me more. I guess if I lived in a town of 2000, Costco would look good. In Minneapolis, we have much better options. I can say the same thing about Total Wine. Total Wine is the closest store to my house, so I go there about 3 times a year if I’m in a hurry. Otherwise Total Wine is total hype.

I will say the selection varies greatly by state. Based upon the list Chris posted I would try a few Kirkland sld cab. Also look around for Cameron Hughes wines or the clos du Val Napa, they seem to carry it in most locations.

The Costco u go to must have shitty selection :frowning:(

That’s too bad for Craig…Our Costcos here have a plethora of amazong local Pinot and California stuff.

I am kicking myself for not taking a picture but I had a Brunello that was “Kirkland” that was fantastic and it was $34.

Our Costco also has some really nice Sauternes that have always done me well.

FWIW The Minnesota Costco’s have very small liquor/wine sections and thus are limited…I’d say 1/4-1/3 what is available in Virginia, California, Florida, etc…

I tried the Kirkland Rioja not too long ago and was happily surprised

Costco prices are not across the board bargains. I’m a fan of Steven Kent cabernet, which I can get at Costco for $35/bottle or at Safeway for $26/bottle if I buy 6. Costco does carry Cameron Hughes. Do your research and you can find a bargain.

The Mountain View Costco has some pretty good deals pop up from time to time. They had 2005 Cos d’Estournel last year for about $110. I’ll grab a slice of pizza and wander around the wine/liquor aisles at lunch a few times a month.

The selection at Costco definitely varies A TON based on location.

When I visit friends in the East Bay of SF and we head in for odds and ends I always walk through the wine section and am blown away by just how much better the selection is than mine in SoCal. Not just variety, but truly good California selections at good prices.

Produttori del Barbaresco.

Just picked up (in Mountain View):

Kirkland Champagne NV $20: I’ve had this before and it’s a good value.
Roederer Estate Brut: $17- don’t remember how much it is at Safeway with the sale and the 20% off for a 6 pack
CH Lot 600 $25
2010 Fontanafredda Barolo Serralunga d’Alba (Liter) $35- priced at $40 locally
2012 Chateau St. Jean Cabernet Sonoma $13.50- priced at $23 locally
Dry Creek Heritage Vines Zinfandel 2013 $13.79 - priced at $16 locally

I’m pretty much there for the Roederer Estate and the Mirabelle bubblies. Grabbed a six of clos du val 13 and I think that’s sold out now. But by and large there’s nothing there for me. Just party wine.