TN: 2005 Louis Carillon Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Perrières

• 2005 Louis Carillon Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Perrières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru (12/4/2015)
    Does anyone do Puligny better than Carillon??? Not in my experience, and tonight’s btl was another stellar example. Exceptional balance, depth, class and weightless concentration. The perfect combination of fruit purity and minerality. Touch of hazelnut says maybe the oak still could integrate a bit more but who’s complaining. Wish I had more of these, my last btl. Still lighter gold color and very fresh at 10 years old. Can’t say I’ve run across a btl even close to premox. Carillon has been a sure bet for me. Would love to try this again in 3-5 years. Hoping some day to drink their flagship Bienvenues Batard! (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Sadly the only premox’d bottle I have had from them was the '05 Bienvenue. I agree Craig, brilliant Puligny from Louis Carilllon and now Jacques Carillon.

Craig, plan to come to Philadelphia in 3-5 years. I’ve got a bunch of them I probably won’t touch till then. Let me know in advance…when you start the drive. [basic-smile.gif]

Well I have had some seriously premixed Carillons, primarily from the 1996 vintage. I recall that my last two Champs Canet from that vintage were badly oxidized a few years ago. I still have a couple so I will open them for fun as at 20 years I couldn’t call them premixed no matter how badly oxidized they may be. It continues to amaze me as to how long lived the pre-1995 white burgundies were compared to those from the late 90s and early 2000s. I just hope that the Burgundians figure this out as it is really a shame that you can’t open an older (or perhaps even young) white burgundy any longer without keeping your fingers crossed and planning for backups.

Nice note Craig. Rauno brought out a lovely 2009 Louis Carillon Bienvenues-Bâtard-Montrachet the other night. A beautiful oily texture with elegance but tons of power in reserve. And no sign of premox (as you would hope, this young).

1996 seems to have been the worst vintage on record for premox. I was only beginning to collect wine in 1999 so I had little experience with the 1996s but I id have some rarely premixed Billaud Simon Clos from 1996. My first Carillons, from 1999, were beautiful and spiked my love affair with the wines.

When you’re 60 years old like me 3-5 years seems like about 6 months. I’ll see you soon :slight_smile:

Jealous!

Major bummer! I have some wine acquaintances ask me from time to time "why I don’t sell my Rousseaus to auction and I always say I’m going to drink them because I love the wines but, if any of them show up flawed I’m going to be wishing I had taken the $1000+ profit on their appreciation. The Bienvenue is definitely on my wish list :slight_smile:

yeah…well…i’m older…and…don’t wait too long… champagne.gif

Louis Carillon / Jacques Carillion is my favourite puligny producers. I visited Jacques for two times at 2013 and 2015.

For 2005 Louis Carillon PM 1er Les Perrieres, I totally agreed with the tasting note which is really nice wine. Yet for 2002, i got 6bts of my own , first bottle opened at 2013 just after I back to China from Burgundy, I put it into decanter for 3hours, an really fantastic behavior .Then last year 2002 is pretty closed but i do not pour it into decant, Yet this year I open another bottles which is pre-oxidations.

For 2005 Louis Carillon PM 1er Les Refrets where the cliamt is served after les perrieres during the visiting , I tasted two times this year , more coase, more minerality but i think both bottles are a bit over matured.

Had the '05 BB Montrachet at a tasting recently and it definitely didn’t disappoint. Showed great class and power.

Thanks for the note. Carillon makes great wines.

How good are the wines from Francois Carillon?

Me too, the drive will take me a little less time flirtysmile

Carillon is consistently excellent, though I also love what Leflaive can usually do with Pucelles and also think PYCM and, to a lesser extent, Pernot, can play in the sandbox too. I like Chavy’s Pulignys too, but they are in a certain style that I enjoy.

Cheers,

Mike

Howard they’re very good and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy them. I’ve only had one Jacques village PM so far and it seemed a little tauter / wound up than Francois’s wine. I plan to revisit those in a year or two.

Thanks.

The ones I have had are good Howard but I reckon Jacques’ wines are just a touch more nervy.

I’ve tasted a lot of Francois’ wines and like them, probably buy more of his wines than any other PM producer. I haven’t had Jacques’ wines, but would say the Louis wines were slightly more focused. I’ve always wanted to do a comparative tasting.

-Al

You’ve never had Jacques’ wines but are saying Louis’ wines are more focused?? What is that conclusion based on??