TN: 00 Paul Autard 'La Cote Ronde' [CNDP]

00 Paul Autard ‘La Cote Ronde’ [CNDP] - I guess since the current WB theme seems to be disappointment, I’ll admit this was one too. Purchased as an EP/prearrival from PC based on the importer strip label – back in an era when they actually would deliver wines, rather than updated ETAs. Mostly mature, some lightening on the edges. Nose of some spice, but not the full blown panoply that aged CNDP usually provides. Like making a pie with only nutmeg, rather than all the other brown spices one would include. Medium bodied, and a palate that lasts 30 seconds, but isn’t particularly memorable. All in all, after waiting 15 years for a CNDP tete du cuvee, I was disappointed. The SO thought it was like an older pinot noir. Popped and poured at a restaurant at room temp – I had this with kale and king salmon, which actually went well. I might try another later, younger vintage but it could just be that I don’t care that much for the modern style of CNDP they are making here. This supposedly gets a lot of oak treatment, but at this age, I didn’t pick up any. Generally I like the traditional producers, and will certainly enjoy smaller villages too. This doesn’t thrill me unfortunately. It’s not bad or anything, but it just didn’t sing. I guess it’s a B- or a B for me, and I’m a Rhone fan, although I dislike the trend toward bottling up the best in special, pricier lots.

My last bottle of 00 Autard ‘Cote Ronde’ [CNDP] finished tonight with a crock pot of chili and corn bread. The wine was enjoyable in that it was an aged Rhone - which I like - but compared to so many of peer CDNPs of this era it didn’t have any magic. I’d give it a B like the prior example. Perhaps this producer is better before age 10. I haven’t been wowed by other vintages of Autard I’ve laid down either.

I’m surprised the oak receded. I’ve tasted this wine when young and it was quite pronounced. This has never been my style either.

Will offer only a counterpoint note, the 98 opened in Atlanta in October. Keep in mind that I am emphatically not the Grenache/CdP guy.

1998 Paul Autard CdP Cuvee la Cote Ronde

A touch of cigar to red and black fruit in the nose. This is special. Approaches being luminous. Swirls with fresh fruit and barest hint of pine needle, this is simply delish and as close to Rayas (which I’ve only had once) that I’ve ever come. 91 and my #3 this evening.

Nothing like the handful of Rayas’ I have had INMHO. Very few wines are and they are all unoaked, traditional and from contiguous sandy vineyards.

I bought this cuvée in the 98 vintage and tried a couple other vintages around that time including the 00. For me just a great example of where many CdPs back then went wrong with more oak and culling out a special cuvée. It always seems glossy and slick, neither are words I would often use for CdP. Dare I say even boring. It received some great reviews and I had friends that quite liked it. I sold or gifted my bottles eons ago.

FWIW, it reminds me nothing of Rayas. In fact I find the wines almost polar opposites. To each his own!

Hum–maybe I mixed up my bottles/glasses that night :slight_smile: There were a lot of wines swirling around that evening in Atlanta. I certainly respect your guys’ palate acumen. But I can only say I was quite struck by the wine I posted on, and not at all negatively.