Burgundy & Beaujolais, not impressed

Im sure that really great Burgundy from the well know houses is great but otherwise i just dont get it.

Tonight i had a 2009 Louis Jadot Vosnee Romanee, a $50 bottle. I was not expecting fireworks but what i got was a tired old tasting wine that just had zero excitement. I know i like em young but one of the reasons is that a young wine wakes up your senses, this wine was like a dose of mother in law jokes. It was a tired red brown colour and the taste was equally tired, i could see how some people might say the flavour was resolved as no high points were present but if that is a condition of liking mature burgundy count me out.

As a comparison i also opened a 2014 Chiroubles, no other way to say it but what a crock of shit. This was a $20 bottle but to me tasted like the sort of wine you buy for 2 euro a litre in plastic bottles. It was thin and about as complex as Donald Trump.

Its the same thing i found with Italian wines, im sure there are great Burgundian wines but the affordable versions are to my taste just blown away by US wines. i just like a big flavourful fresh acidic minerally fruit driven wine and with the exception of Bordeaux, Rhone and some trocken Riesling you just dont get these characteristics in european wines

okay cool. No persuading you otherwise.

I wish more people had your palate! Then demand would drop and burgs would be more affordable… :frowning:((

Spot on Alan.

What “big flavourful fresh acidic minerally fruit driven” US wines are you drinking? Some examples? Just want to get an idea of wines you believe have these attributes.

Consider yourself lucky, but a much better value play for Jadot would be in the Cote de Beaune 1er’s

The Gevrey Chambertin from Jadot was usually okay, based on my previous experiences.

You need to try Chinon, Alan. Sounds like it is right up your palate.

Does Justin Smith make a Chinon? [wink.gif]

You nailed it, Alan.

Jadot called and they are not impressed by your palate. :slight_smile:

In all seriousness, if you never come around to liking it, it’s just not your thing. Liking subtlety and nuance, lightness and silkiness are the reasons to like Burg. It sometimes requires you to listen to what it has to say. If your litmus test is that you want the wine to ‘wake you up’, you can probably look elsewhere.

That said, there was a time when I was first getting into wines that I drank wines similar to the ones you like, as well as Bordeaux, and the first few Burgs I had were pretty pedestrian and I didn’t get it either. Then one day I had a burg that changed it all - just a village Vosne from a modern-leaning producer, but it had that extra gear of earthy complexity together with lively fruit that makes Burgundy great. So keep trying, once in a while. You may find that epiphany bottle, and your palate may change too.

Re-reading your post, there’s no way a properly stored 09 of that bottling should feel tired and be brown in places. Heat damaged? Could be in a closed phase too - I haven’t had any 09s in a while so I’m not sure how they’re drinking but it’s at the age where I’d expect it to be shut down. Anyway, just know that it’s nowhere near maturity.

Some serious contradictions in there.

I flew into San Francisco once. Looked around and decided to have lunch at a local Olive Garden. It sucked. Then I went to McDonalds for dinner. It sucked.
Why do all restaurants in San Francisco just suck so bad? Why do people say that it’s a good food city? My experience says that it sucks.

Thread of the month!

UH OH

Looks like offended the Berserker gods, hey i did write the first post after two bottles of wine but as always happens the truth even if badly worded comes out when your drunk.

Yes i could have worded things a lot better but in the light of day my thoughts are the same. I just dont like what burgundy is selling, if this makes me the dumb ignorant wine drinker in the corner then i am perfectly fine with that. I believe that wine is to be drunk and enjoyed primarily and as such its what i like that that is important to me, i dont care if DRC is $10,000 a bottle if i prefer a nice Paso Syrah or Bedrock better than i am actually very lucky.

Poor fellow. So many clever teasing heads in the peanut gallery. Merited teasing nonetheless…
Well Alan, my fire breathing creature of fantasy, like Peter’s jibe attests to, part of the skill is in the choosing. Particularly strongly for Burgundy, the details of who/what/where etc are of utmost importance. A Jadot villages level wine is pretty much a mediocre to less than mediocre bottle. So your lack of enthusiasm would likely be shared by most of the Burg loving heads here.
If you really are trying to “get to know”, I don’t recommend firing blind and then lamenting your disappointment. Take the advice of others who do know. Your success will likely be better.
That doesn’t guarantee that you will fall in love with Burgundy.
Burgundy will likely find it hard to compete with the grandeur of fire breathing mythic beasts…or Bedrock Syrah.

BTW, is the Chinon a serious recommendation or just messing ? im not familiar with it

Robert

Thanks, the way i look at it if im being teased for my dragon like tasting skills it means there are no serious fights on here which is a good thing