2001 Phelps Insignia

I recently found this bottle at a small local store for $125. They assured me it had been stored well and agreed to stand behind it if there were any problems. So I took it to a local bistro with a friend, and while opening it, the waiter announced that there was a problem since a piece of cork had broken off and fallen into the bottle. He suggested it was a storage problem. Oh well, I thought. I asked him to pour a glass and, as he poured, my friend said, unless there is a problem with raspberries and blueberries, this wine is just fine. And it was fantastic.
The raspberry nose gave way to a mixed bowl of berries, all vibrant and striking. The taste mirrored the smell. Intense, but totally balanced. It picked up some licorice and cedar and a little oak, but the berry flavor was persistent and delicious. Really impressive showing for this Insignia. I’d give it a full 95 points.

If corks that broke or crumbled during extraction meant the wine was bad, then many of us have consumed flawed bottles and unwittingly enjoyed them! [cheers.gif] [wow.gif]

Love this wine - Thanks for the note/story. I have one 2001 left and keep debating if I should open it or save it for a few more years.

And at $125 per bottle, I’d be running back to that damn store to grab all they had!

It’s amazing to me how often wait staff pretend to know everything there is to know about wine because they work in a fine dining establishment. Some actually are quite knowledgeable, many are not.

Glad you enjoyed your “problem” Insignia!

Man, talking about passing the buck. Cork broke off because of user error :slight_smile:

User error indeed. As soon as he broke the cork off, he asked,“was this wine stored lying down?”

And at $125 per bottle, I’d be running back to that damn store to grab all they had!

It was the only 2001 they had. Oddly enough, they have the 1998 and 1999 at $160 and $180.

Lucky you!

I still have a couple to drink. You got my mouth watering!

Damn! I remember buying a 6-pack of the 2001 for $90 a pop… in a wooden case to boot.

I was just thinking I paid $85/bottle for a six pack of the 2002. A nice wine…certainly California. Just not worth what they ask now…imho

Ha! I love those rare finds where you just kind of shake your head…but are more than happy to take the much better bottle at a lower price :slight_smile: