Post your WOTYs-- 2015 Edition--TABULATION COMPLETE Post 1

All right then. Heck of a year, gang. Let me start by saying that there were over 500 individual wineries that made people’s lists, with over 180 getting more than one mention. While some of that was one person listing 3 wines e.g. from one winery, that probably amounts to about 6 or 7 instances. So we’re a pretty broad-minded bunch.

Last year, the Wine of the Year was 2001 D’Yquem with 5 votes. The following each got 3 votes:

2008 Shafer HSS
1989 Haut Brion
1990 La Tache
2010 La Tache
2007 Saxum James Berry Syrah
1982 Cheval Blanc
1989 Latour

Of that group, the 01 D’Yquem and 07 Saxum James Berry are the only wines to make it back into the listed group here, with 3 votes each. Joining them this year:

1986 Mouton
2010 Bevan Tin Box
1996 Salon
1988 Krug

Those are all “show” results. With 4 votes, 1989 La Mission Haut Brion takes the place position. And the winner this year…

2002 Ruinart with 5 votes and, astonishingly, all of the listings for this house, something that hasn’t happened before.

In terms of houses, last year DRC led the way with 22 mentions. D’Yquem followed with 13, SQN with 12, Rousseau with 10, Guigal with 9

I will list all wineries which got 5 mentions or more

DRC IS the winner again with 24. D’Yquem holds on to 2nd position with 17 and then Krug gets in with 15. Saxum is right behind at 14. Ridge after that with 12, then Rhys is tied with Giacomo Conterno (leading off a very strong showing this year for Italian producers) with 11. Rousseau holds at 10 and is joined by Latour, Giacosa and—and I’m very happy to see this!—Musar

The others:

Bevan 6
Carlisle 8
Cheval Blanc 5
Beaucastel 7
Gruaud-Larose 6
Haut Brion 6
La Miss 6
LLC 5
Montelana 7
Montrose 5
Mouton 7
Pichon-Lalande 6
Rayas 5
Suduiraut 5
Chave 7
Clos Rougeard 5
Coche-Dury 8
Comte de Vogue 7
Dom Perignon 8
Donnhoff 5
Roumier 5
Rinaldi 9
Prum 6
Kapscandy 5
Jadot 7
Marcassin 5
Quivet 5
Rivers-Marie 5
Roederer 6
Ruinart 5
Salon 6
Schrader 9
Shafer 5
Sojourn 5
SQN 6

As you can see, SQN fell some. More shocking are the falls from grace of Domaine Leflaive and Domaine Leroy–each collected 7 hits last year. Leflaive was mentioned once and Leroy twice this time around. La-Las accounted for only 3 spots. Colgin, Abreu each got but one vote. Grange…a mere 3 spots. Pegau, 3. Dujac 4. And very little port.

On to next year!

My own choices for WOTYs are below

I’ve decided to go ahead again and start my own thread. I weighed pros and cons for this, because Craig Vanderah got a thread going in August that people have been participating actively in lately. We talked and he’s perfectly fine with me proceeding, so I think I will, since the sense of that one was perhaps to do a half-year check-in.

Having said that, I want to first express my appreciation for everyone who’s posted their thoughts there. The link is here

While welcome to repost or update, I will happily take anyone’s notes from that thread and use them when tabulation time comes up at year-end.

This has been a super-difficult year for me to cull out worthy wines—my luck to have drunk so well with so many, and that is the real “winner” for 2015. I have a list of 20 right now and some very difficult choices had to be made to limit it to even that.

2008 Hospice de Beaune Cuvee Baudot Meursault Genevrieres (Pierre-Yves Colin Morey) (96+)—this is my WOTY at present, though the Cristal last weekend sure gave it a strong, strong challenge! As usual, where a wine coaxed a score out of me, I’ve included that.

2009 Small Vines Baranoff Pinot Noir (94)
1999 Marcassin Marcassin Pinot Noir
2010 Domaine D’Ardhuy Corton Clos du Roi (94)
1988 Chateau Certan de May
2007 CARM Reserva (93)
2005 Araujo Eisele Vineyard Cab
2009 Chateau Climens
1998 Marcassin Marcassin Pinot Noir
2013 Rivers-Marie Thieriot Chard
1986 Chateau D’Issan
1996 Jadot Clos St. Jacques
2004 Nikolaihof Steiner Hund Riesling
2004 Cristal
1978 Krohn Colheita Port (96)
2008 Thibault Ligier-Belair Corton Rognet (93)
2000 Nicolas Violet-Guillemard Pommard 1er Cru Clos Orgelots
2005 Dal Forno Valpolicella Superiore
2001 Chateau La Tour Blanche Sauternes
2006 Dagueneau Silex

Discoveries were 3—The Clos Orgelots, astonishing from a producer and vineyard I’d never heard of. The CARM–for sure…a hypothetical blend of a nuanced and refined CaliCab and a nicely aged Cote Rotie. And…CHAMPAGNE. I do like it! Too late!!

Looking forward to seeing what took top honours for people this year. And hoping that I might still have a couple more opportunities to make changes.

Mike

My documentation of wines I drink is nowhere near as good as Mike’s but going back over the pictures I took of the interesting wines, I come up with these.

1998 Krug
1983 Dom Perignon
1990 Cristal
2008 Palmer & Co Champagne
2006 Smith Haut Lafite Blanc
2008 Chateau Montelena Chardonnay
2006 Chateneuf Du Pape Chateau Beaucastel
2006 Chateneuf Du Pape Vieux Telegraphe
2009 Pearl Morisette Chardonnay
2008 Raul Perez Sketch
2004 Nicolas Joly Coulee de Serrant
1998 Boroli Villero Barolo Riserva
2007 Carm CM
2002 Bouchard Pere & Fils Beaune Marconnets
2010 Tablas Creek Espirit Beaucastel Blanc
2002 PARENT Premier Cru de Pommard Les Chapponnieres
2001 Chambolle Musigny 1er Cru Les Baudes, Serafin Pere et Fils
1990 Chateau Suduraut Sauternes
2004 Nieport Redomo Branco
2013 Clemens Busch Marienburg Fahrley Terrasen Riesling

WOTY 2013 Clemens Busch Marienburg Fahrley Terrasen Riesling - as amazing as some of the other wines on this list are, this wine was the most memorable and eye-opening as to how spectacular Riesling can be. Looking forward to trying this in about 5 years. Honourable mention to 1998 Krug.

Cheers, Jay

WOTY is a process still. Discovery of 2015 a slam dunk:
image.jpg

How come people start these threads before the year is out? Shouldn’t they be started in January?

We do have a thread about the Top 10 wines for 2015: Your 10 best wines this year ( so far) - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Jumping the gun by a month. neener

Discovery of the Year is interesting though. I’d say mine is Bedrock. (Yeah, I know I’m lame and late to the party.) Tried a bottle of their 2010 OV Zin and immediately bought the last 3 bottles from that same retailer. Picked up 3 bottles of 2014 OV Zin too. Got on Bedrock’s mailing list then purchased 4 bottles of 2014 Monte Rosso so now I’ll be getting guaranteed allotments.

1998 Krug
2004 Cristal
1978 Krohn Colheita
2006 Smith Haut Lafite Blanc
2008 Chateau Montelena Chardonnay
2006 Chateneuf Du Pape Chateau Beaucastel
2013 Clemens Busch Marienburg Fahrley Terrasen Riesling
2009 Dr. Burklin-Wolf Jesuitengarten Grosses Gewaches Riesling
2006 Dagueneau Silex
2011 Remellui Bianco
1993 Barossa Valley Estates Ebenezer
2011 Frank Family Cabernet Sauvignon
1996 Chateau D’Yquem
2001 Chateau D’Yquem
2004 SQN Mr. K Straw Man
2009 Saxum Syrah

DOTY 2009 Dr. Burklin-Wolf Jesuitengarten GG, beating the Clemens Busch merely by virtue of having been tasted first. Opened my eyes to how astonishing dry Riesling is and proving to my addicted sweet tooth that it didn’t need all that sugar however much pleasure it gives me. Completely changed my view on Riesling and now I enjoy dry Alsacian and German Rieslings as well as sweet.

DOTY (Tie) 2011 Frank Family Cabernet Sauvignon, one sip and I was an instant convert to California Cabernet

Sigh :slight_smile: I did pay tribute and acknowledgement to the other thread in my initial post and I really did debate starting this thread of my own. And I do like to start these early to get wines in so I can get tabulations done around the New Year—as I have done the last couple of years (this is actually late for me, past years have been in early November). Plus it sometimes needs something to get people going. Thanks all for weighing in so far.

Mike

Surprise of the year:

1979 Rutherford Hill Merlot - Found it in a discount bin at Benchmark Wine for $10/bottle. Didn’t expect much when I opened it, but when opened, I was astounded!!! I couldn’t believe how much fruit there was on the nose and how lively the wine was! Went back a few weeks later and bought the other 4 bottles they had.

Value of the Year:

2013 Flaco Tempranillo - Saw a twitter post from RP himself, and found it shocking he would comment on a sub-$10 bottle of wine so I had to try it. If not the best $7 bottle of wine I’ve ever had, certainly the most pleasing $7 experience I’ve ever had.

Discovery of the Year:

2012 Bella Vineyards Barrel 32 - Just an awesome Zin. Easily now my favorite zin winery and just a fun list to be on.

WOTY:

2001 Etude Rutherford Cabernet - It’s like bringing a bazooka to a knife fight. I’ve had two bottles of it in the past year and it never ceases to blow me away. It would easily out class many big gun cabs from the same era. If you know the backstory of this wine, you’d totally understand and likely agree.

Fabulous wine.

What plot did the fruit come from?

Here’s a pic of the actual vines:
Old Vines.jpg

Since you started it Mike - with the caveat that I’m allowed to edit later as I still have a few tastings (1 vert, 1 horz) scheduled and the inevitable x-mas bottles to open.

From memory in no order, top 5.
'07 Ponsot CdlR
'90 de la Tour Clos de Vougeot (from tasting of various C.V. ranging '85 to ''08)
'89 Beaucastel (from vert of '81 to '08) - best CnDP I’ve had (I haven’t tasted the '78 Rayas)
'90 Cuvée Frederic Emile, Trimbach - Perfect match with friends Choucroute
'10 PYCM Chenevottes, I’ll nominate as my discovery. Hadn’t tried PYCM before 2015 and understand the fuss

Ahh, Scarecrow.

Then they can’t be the first one to start the thread. [stirthepothal.gif]

Hum—a wee bit surprised that neither Craig V’s thread or this one is getting much play, so I’ll bump, as we’re getting close to the end and I do still want to do some tabulating :slight_smile:

Kwa Heri,

Mike

I’m sure I’ve forgotten some, but:

1990 Beaucastel
1999 Nikolaihof Steiner Hund
1991 Chateau Musar
2004 Truchot Charmes Chambertin VV
2003 Jadot CM Baudes
2007 Mugneret Gibourg Clos Vougeot
2007 Comte Liger Belair VR Reignots
1990 Chateau Climens
1982 Chateau Magdelaine

Well, its early and I have a few more wines in the running. But, so far this year, I have scored 10 wines at 100 points, so I guess that is the list for now:

• 2009 Château d’Yquem - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (4/22/2015)
    First Growths, Yquem, 100+Madeira (John V.'s): What a wild tasting. This almost got overlooked between the first growths and the Madeira’s. But Wow. I kept going back to it. From a 375. Just a perfect wine IMO. So much better than a recent 05 or 10. Light golden in color. The nose has honey, floral notes, pineapple and citrus. Viscous. Sweet not cloying. The palate matches the nose with such a great persistence. An incredibly long finish. Wow. Perhaps not quite the 2001 but it would be great to drink them side by side to see. (100 pts.)
  • 1860 Blandy’s Madeira Bual - Portugal, Madeira (4/22/2015)
    First Growths, Yquem, 100+Madeira (John V.'s): Wow. An amazing experience that can not be separated from the wine itself. This was decanted at 10:00 in the morning and served at 9:30pm. Iced tea in color. The nose is incredible with “tootsie rolls”, oranges, tea and a slight date note. Complex and layered on the nose and the palate. Smooth with just a hint of alcohol. Great texture. Layer after layer of fruit and candy and tea. Long finish. We were so blown away by the wine, that we hardly discussed what was going on in 1860. Lincoln had not yet even been President. This was gown on pre-phyloxera vines. A real treat to have. (100 pts.)
  • 2003 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée da Capo - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (6/28/2015)
    1500 Parker Points of Wines (GHT): Wow. This was my WOTN and although not unanimous, seemed to be the groups WOTN too. And, not what I expected. This is clean, and not a monster wine at all despite having 16% alcohol. Purple/ruby in color. The nose is complex and great with black cherries, black raspberries, grilled meats, lavender and anise. Clean, no barnyard. The texture is amazing. This is light on its feet as it dances on my palate. I hear people talk about a wine being sexy, well this is it. Complex. Ethereal. One of the top wines I have ever had. (100 pts.)
  • 2008 Kapcsándy Family Winery Cabernet Sauvignon (Grand Vin) State Lane Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Yountville (6/28/2015)
    1500 Parker Points of Wines (GHT): Wow. This is young but in a great place now. It will mature and has a couple of decades left, easy. This is gorgeous now. inky purple in color. Cassis, dark chocolate, coffee grounds and tobacco on the nose. Velvety texture. Deep and complex as it slowly opens in the glass. This drinks like a powerful Bordeaux from a ripe vintage (say 2009). Its best days are ahead though as the firm tannins and all that fruit suggest this will improve. There is the dilemma, its a 100 pointer now, but can get better. Must be one of those time space anomalies. (100 pts.)
  • 2007 Shafer Cabernet Sauvignon Hillside Select - USA, California, Napa Valley, Stags Leap District (6/28/2015)
    1500 Parker Points of Wines (GHT): In an amazing flight, this was my and most peoples WOTF. A couple found the oak a bit problematic though. I love SHS. Purple in color. The nose has cassis, cigar tobacco, spice, and some licorice. On the palate, the texture is incredible. Juicy, velvety and muscular. Delicious. Each sip makes me want another. Complex. Accessible but there are some smooth tannins. This has a long life left as well. The is the third straight time I have scored this wine 100. Gorgeous. (100 pts.)
  • 2012 Bevan Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon McGah Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford (6/28/2015)
    1500 Parker Points of Wines (GHT): I am always impressed with how well Bevan wines drink young. Purple in color. The nose has black and red raspberries, graphite, cassis and licorice. On the palate, this is delicious. Perhaps the most delicious wine on the table. Sweet, ripe fruit. It coats my palate. I want to chug it down. Black raspberries, and some blueberries. No sign of heat. Oh so smooth. Clean finish. A beautiful wine. I wonder how this ages, but why wait. Gorgeous today. (100 pts.)
  • 2012 Schrader Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon CCS Beckstoffer To-Kalon Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville (6/28/2015)
    1500 Parker Points of Wines (GHT): Inky purple in color. The nose is great with black raspberries, blueberries, some pencil lead and some charred wood. On the palate, this drinks much deeper than the Bevan. While not as delicious perhaps, it has complexity and depth to it that event his young, is obvious and interesting. Great pure cassis fruit on the palate. Wonderful slippery yet full texture. Long finish. I suspect this shuts down a bit, but right now its amazing. (100 pts.)
  • 2007 Saxum James Berry Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (6/28/2015)
    1500 Parker Points of Wines (GHT): Saxum is probably my favorite winery and this is my favorite Saxum. Easy 100 points. Still youthful but it is starting to develop complexities. The nose has black raspberries, gamey meats, white pepper and some grilled meat notes. On the palate, this is juicy with a great texture. It is light on its feet with incredible power (this Muhammad Ali). Showing a nice layering to it. Perfect balance. Yes, there is a lot of alcohol, but it doesn’t show. Great with grilled eggplant. Long finish. A close #2 in my WOTN (and a few votes from the group). (100 pts.)
  • 2012 Realm Cellars The Bard - USA, California, Napa Valley (9/13/2015)
    Great wines, Andremily, Macdonald & Realm (Home): Wow. Wow. For me, this was amazing. It got about an hour of air, but I am not sure it changed much. I am not sure how it gets better from here, but it might. Frankly, I was surprised how well this drunk young. Purple in color. The nose is great. More exuberant than the Macdonald. Cassis, blueberries, spice, and espresso. On the palate, there is an amazing texture. Juicy yet velvety and round. Lots of layers of fruit with some oak/coffee and earth. Each sip makes me want more. This has is clearly a young Napa Cab, but given that it is not overdone. Sadly, Jane and I emptied this one quickly too. (100 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

As for discovery, I do have one or two still on tap to try, but so far, it would probably be:
TBA’s from a special tasting. This was the best one IMO:

Posted from CellarTracker

My WOTY was 71 La Tache from Jero- served at a charity event in Toronto
Other runners up incl
DRC Montrachets 2010,08,06,96,04 ( all part of a vertical )
93 Beze Rousseau
90 Cros Parantoux Rouget
90 Soldera riserva
91 Chambertin Rousseau
66 Musigny Vogue
78 Richebourg DRC
Chateau Latour ( 17 vintage vertical back to 1865 incl 29,45,59,61 - mind blowing )

Had a lot of incredible wines this year. But a couple of experiences stand out.

I had my first Keller reisling is was a 2011 ‘Kirchspiel’ Reisling GG. It really focused what I love about reisling. Also, the Nero d’avola and Frappato wines of the Sicilian winemaker Arianna Occhipinti were a delicious discovery.

My short list is below. I decided to not settle on a single wine this year for WOTY, rather to let a # of them move me and just honor those collectively. I will say that the bottle I finished this past weekend, which was the Lucia Susan’s Hill, that was pretty amazing stuff. I know that CA syrah is not championed around here like Barolo, Burg or some other things, yet this Susan’s Hill was a rock star and I sourced more of it today. The kind of wine that makes me love drinking wine.