2008 white Burgundy premier cru : how are they now ?

Our wine club got together to taste the 2008 white Burgundy premier cru’s blind . We are 10 tasters .
I really liked the 08 vintage from barrel : tight and mineral , with lot’s of chalk , significant acidity and a long finish . Classics . How would they do at year 7 ? We tried 12 wines , in 6 flights .

Flight 1 . Both wines were still closed and very tight , not giving much pleasure . I thought the second one had a floral touch that the other one did not have . I rated the wine 1 a 90+ and the second one a 89+ . Turned out to be the same wines : Raveneau Chablis les Butteaux .
Wine 3 : very fresh and mineral , like a Chassagne . Chalk . Still very young but classy . 92+/100 Henri Germain Meursault Charmes.
Wine 4 : sweet and floral , good acidity , like a Pucelles from Leflaive . Lovely and delicious now with lot’s of upside potential . 94+/100 Henri Boillot Meursault Clos de la Mouchere .
Wine 5 : funky nose , initially some So2 . Really delicious . Tight and sophisticated , an elegant model . 95/100 . Chassagne Caillerets Pierre-Yves Colin Morey
Wine 6 : slightly more exotic , more evolution . Citrus . Excellent but pales in company of 5 . 92+/100 Ramonet Chassagne Caillerets
Wine 7 : premox : Philippe Chavy Puligny Pucelles
Wine 8 : lovely sweet nose , fine and elegant , ready to drink , love it for what it is 92/100 Paul Pernot Puligny Pucelles
Wine 9 : very fresh , citrus , lot’s and lot’s of acidity , will this ever come around ? We shall see . 92+/100 Louis Carillon Puligny Combettes
Wine 10 : premox : Etienne Sauzet , Puligny Combettes
Wine 11 : the real class , still tight and unyielding but a master work in progress . 96/100 Coche Dury Meursault Genevrieres
Wine 12 : white color . Same style as 11 with less sophistication , more chalk . Great powerful wine . 94/100 . Coche Dury Meursault Caillerets .
So 2 premoxed wines out of 12 but… one of our members discovered that the wine he brought was also premoxed : Jacques Prieur Meursault Perrieres … ( he found a replacement ) . So 3 out of 13 , a disgrace .

Everybody submitted their top 3 , the result :
First place : surprisingly : JF Coche Dury Meursault Genevrieres : 21 points
Second place : JF Coche Dury Meursault Caillerets : 17 points
Third place : PY Colin Morey Chassagne Caillerets : 15 points
Fourth place : Henri Boillot Meursault Clos de la Mouchere : 5 points .

I like the style of 2008 a lot , and would leave the best ones alone till at least 2018 .

I enjoyed a 2008 Genevrieres Baudot Hospices de Beaune, eleve par JeanMarc Pillot, the other day. It was terrific and still quite alive. Wonferful mineral-edged finish. Very long.

Many thanks for this good report, Herwig. I like 2008 whites a lot and it is good to know that, absent premox, they are doing well.

we will know in a few months when Don Cornwell does his annual 3 night white Burg tasting–2008 is the next vintage.

I don’t buy many white Burgs, but I like Boillot’s Clos de la Mouchere. I think it’s from Puligny, though, rather than from Meursault.

Yes Puligny it is. I had the 2009 version this week. From a warmer vintage but so nice.

Thanks Herwig. I like the vintage very much.

Yes , Puligny . I always get confused as JF Coche once told me this is one of the greatest terroirs of white Burgundy .
Boillot does an excellent job with it .

I think 2008 has probably turned out better than 2007, but it also has lots of premoxed wines…

I’d probably say 25% of mine have had issues, sadly.

Herwig:

Thanks for the report. It looks like 2008 is roughly in line with most of the other vintages with that oxidation rate. It’s sad to see another Sauzet premoxed. Gerard had big problems for a while and got it under control but we had a couple of 2007s last year that showed advanced or premoxed, including the Montrachet which was advanced.

We will be tasting the 2008s in the annual vintage assessment/premox check dinners in February and March.