Top Five Producers in Your Cellar

I’ve been working on my seemingly annual cellar inventory and mostly because I’m out of space. It feels like I’m playing some kind of bizarre game of Tetris with wine bottles or trying to fit a bowling ball into a marble bag. Along the way I’ve taken a look at the shape of things. My producer interests evolve, but the numbers move slowly as wines are aging, being drunk and more bottles added. The snap shot of the top five at present:

1. Mugneret-Gibourg. By a lot.
  2. Myriad - trending up.
  3. F. Esmonin. Mostly a broken Ruchottes vertical.
  4. Dujac - trending up.
  5. Bertheau - I love Chambolle

Pichon Baron and J. J. Prum are just out of the money. The top five used to be more so occupied by Burgundy negociants like Bouchard, Faiveley and Jadot. Collectively, I still have a good number of their wines, but they are trending down as I’m drinking them faster than I’m buying them. In looking at my cellar, my own results are somewhat skewed. My Bordeaux section is nearly as big as my Burgundy section, but I’m more scattershot on buying, whereas in Burgundy I’m producer focused.

Who are your top five?

Drouhin is still certainly number one but I’d have to recount to figure out the others.

Huet has probably dropped out of the number 2 spot due to rapid fire opening of all my premoxed 2002s.

I’ve got to bite the bullet and put my inventory in Cellartracker one of these days.

Bedrock
Caymus
Realm
Carlisle
Rhys

Dirty and Rowdy
Sarah’s - Santa Clara Valley
Bonny Doon
Rhys/Aleshia
Leitz

Bedrock
Kosta Browne
Rhys
Carlisle
Dehlinger

1. Williams Selyem
  2. Justin Vineyards
  3. VHR
  4. Epoch
  5. Bedrock
  6. Daou
  7. Aubert
  8. Sojourn
  9. Tensley

I give you top 9 because they are all with in 2-3 bottles of each other (30-34 each) and then it drops off significantly (15). All of them have a lot of variety within each producer except VHR which is just a lot of their cab :slight_smile: I have a lot of Bordeaux too (150 bottles out of 750 bottles) but I dabble a little bit from each area and producer, I got into to Bordeaux 2008-2010 so it was hard to buy a lot :slight_smile: Fun to look at. Thanks for the post !!

Keller
Prüm
Schönleber
Allemand
Fourrier

Cadence
Eyrie
Thomas
Maison Bleue
GD Vajra

1 Like

Top 10:

Puffeney
Huet
Rhys
Clos Roche Blanche
Donnhoff
Ganevat
Lauer
Mount Eden
Pepiere
Coudert

Puffeney and CRB ascended because I’ve been stocking up on final vintages. The Top 10 are 21% of my cellar.

Dirty & Rowdy
Pontet-Canet
Enfield
Suduiraut
Beaucastel

Two Hands, Glaetzer, Myriad, Guiraud, Haut-Bailly & Leoville Barton would all be tied for next. I daily drink the D&R and Enfield to a much greater degree which is why they are pretty high (and I just picked up the fall shipments but haven’t had any yet). That said, I have 150 different producers in my cellar (according to CT) but only average about 3 bottles per producer…So I guess a mile wide and an inch deep!

Giacosa
Rousseau
Rhys
Leflaive
Bachelet

Peay
Carlisle
Switchback Ridge
Myriad
Rivers-Marie

with Quivet a close 6th.

JJ Prum
Huet
Donnhoff
Guigal
Brovia

Drouhin
Olga Raffault
Pol Roger
LDH
Jadot
Arcadian and D&R close behind in 6th

1. Taittinger
  2. Moet (Dom only)
  3. Jadot
  4. Ruinart
  5. Faiveley

If I were to include the pre-arrival PC wines that I traded for in-stock items, then Mylar bags would be number 2.

Rhys
Rivers-Marie
Peay
Williams Selyem
G. Mascarello

I think Williams Selyem will drop out and be replaced by Bedrock soon. This question is always interesting in terms of self-evaluation: since moving back East we’ve either dropped or cut most of our mailing lists, and 2/3 of our purchases over the past two years have been European wine. But our mailing lists still result in unbalanced concentrations. The most value-neutral thing I can say is that mailing lists seem to be effective marketing tools if the target is people like us.

Top 10, since they are all pretty close:

1. The Napa Valley Reserve
  2. Rhys
  3. Sine Qua Non
  4. Aubert
  5. M. Chapoutier
  6. Colgin
  7. Clos St. Jean
  8. Shafer (100% Hillside Select)
  9. Pegau
  10. Bruno Giacosa

Bedrock