TN: 1982 Alain Robert Champagne Blanc de Blancs Reserve Le Mesnil

1982 Alain Robert Champagne Blanc de Blancs Reserve Le Mesnil - France, Champagne, Le Mesnil Sur Oger, Champagne (11/22/2015)
An old wine, singing in a lower octave, but still singing with great force. Deep apple, pine and Sherry notes dominate the nose and palate. Still quite a lively mousse, and a lingering apple and nut skin finish. Drink up and enjoy.

Posted from CellarTracker

a Don Cornwell favorite from a no longer extant domaine. Nice!

When did the domaine cease to be?

sold his vineyards and retired. Not sure when.

Good wines from this house. We had 1988s and 1990s in mag/750s. On Saturday night we took our last 1990 mag to a friend’s bday celebration. It was great! champagne.gif

The real mystery is where all the wines in the cellar went. The last vintage I have seen is the 1990 and he made wine after that, but no one knows exactly where it went; it could still be resting in the cellars. As to the vineyards, I can’t get a clear answer on that either. I’m not sure if he sold the vines or is just leasing them out. About all I do know is that no one in the family is picking up the business of making Champagne.

There are three post 1990 vintages in CellarTracker, including one with a tasting note. I have to think they are all in error, as they are all 2000 or later with nothing from 1990-1999.

David,

People often mistake Alain Robert with A. Robert (Andre Robert) in Le Mesnil. I believe this is where the mix-up has occurred. I’ve also seen a number of people buy A. Robert bottles thinking they were Alain Robert and people sell them as such. The wines are not similar other than they are often both Blanc de Blancs.

Thanks Brad. Never had an Andre Robert wine.

at Timatkin.com re Tom Stevenson’s book on Champagne: “One slip-up in the book’s coverage of Le Mesnil is to include the once very great grower Alain Robert who sold his vineyards some years ago and is now fully retired.”