Blow me GSO

So, I had a delivery coming today from Golden State Overnight for a purchase I made Sunday with LastBottle. Why LBW waited 4 days to ship is another thing altogether. I waited around all day for them to come but no dice. @ 4PM I check the tracking number and see the dreaded “Delivery attempted nobody home” followed by “Tan single story house.”

Well, since my house is white and two story I knew they f’d up. The driver was two houses away at a home clearly marked with an address that is not mine. I call GSO, inform them of the error and reschedule delivery for tomorrow. 5:15pm comes and GSO is on the phone telling me that the shipper has to approve an extra charge for weekend delivery in order for them to deliver on Saturday. I inform her that since her driver came to the wrong house that she can bill the driver for the extra charge but I expect my delivery on Saturday. Of course she has no idea that the driver went to the wrong house, yeah right, while she reiterates, with a touch of an attitude, that an attempt was made and the driver says he/she went to the correct house. Little does she know that I pulled the door tag off the neighbors front door. Nice bit of customer service right there. She adds that they don’t deliver to my area on Saturday. I reply that is not my problem, that it is their drivers problem.

GSO refuses to deliver on Saturday so I rescheduled for Monday and told them if the wine is damaged they will be footing the bill.

When your singular job is to take something from point a to point b overnight it shouldn’t be that hard. That’s all GSO does. Too bad that this is only the beginning of shipping season. pileon

GSO seemed to have a lock on deliveries within California a few years ago, but enough mistakes like this are seriously problematic. More and more wineries seems to be moving to FedEx or GSO.

Sorry for your hassle–what a chafe.

I heard that the Wine Spectator board loves GSO.

I’ve always liked GSO - overnight delivery for ground shipping prices - but I haven’t had a negative experience like Brian’s.

I generally like them as well. Must have a new driver because the one I have had for the past couple of years would not have made this mistake. They have done this once in the past with a Flannery order with Friday delivery for a Saturday party. They were able to get the driver back out here the same day that time. Brian Flannery now uses FedEx Ground.
This time I couldn’t get over that fact that they would not accept responsibility for their error.

The problem is yours, you were in the wrong house. This can happen after a late night.

Ouch. I’ve always had good experiences with them.

No problems here either.

Had the same “delivery attempted” last week. Mine was 2 story grey, but my house is 1 story light brown. I think they will use anyone that shows up with a truck or van, and they just decide it is time to stop for the day and make shit up. Mine was a mid week delivery, and my work is one exit away so no big deal. There quality of service has gone down drastically over the past couple years in Ventura County. Never pick them if I have a choice.

Why is no one asking the most important question?

What did you order from last bottle?

Clearly it was the most AMAZING FIND EVER of some unknown juice being sold for $20 that can be found at 10 other online retailers for $21 yet is boasted as being 99% off… deadhorse

It was 2012 Barbed Oak Zara’s Vyd Pinot Noir for $24/btl. John Ratek is the winemaker. It was an easy buy. I’m on their mailing list and just got an offer this week containing the same wine @ $34.

Such a natural! You should write for LBW!

Cool score. How did you hear that Raytek made the wine? And do you know if this is just a one-off, or is he on board for the longer term?

GSO is in the habit of saying they attempted delivery and that the business wasn’t open at (say) 11:30 AM on a Thursday. You know, the San Francisco Wine Center.

He was the winemaker in '11 when I first tasted with them.

Brian - GSO is F’d up, but Last Bottle has problems too. I put on the address FedEx - Hold at Location. They ship GSO. I call them and write to them - please ship Fed Ex. They say OK. Then they ship GSO. Now I call and write until I get someone to confirm that yes, absolutely they will ship Fed Ex. After that they ship Fed Ex most of the time. But one never knows.

Ah, he Robert Downey Jr’d it.

GSO sucks.
Have had wine delivered and left in hallway.
GSO insists on delivering to my office at 8 am when they have been repeatedly told business does open till 9.
Have rescheduled between 12-4 and get a call at 6 saying they couldn’t make it.
GSO sucks.

I can go even better from several years ago…ordered a case from a Santa Cruz winery and they ship it GSO. Waiting around for a couple of weeks and finally call the winery and ask them where is the wine? They come back to me right away saying that the wine was delivered several days previously and send me all the tracking info, with me telling them I don’t have the wine.

So I calll GSO and they say yes the wine was delivered and that I signed for it in the middle of the afternoon…small problem as I was at the office. GSO insists and I ask them for a copy of the delivery signature…um not even close to my signature. The winery made good and sent me out a second case, but the driver ran some kind of scam and $600 of wne disappeared.

The horror stories on GSO are everywhere and I just don’t understand why any winery would use them. Last year I arrived in my office the same time as the GSO guy. Unmarked private vehicle (pickup with a camper shell on the back)…and the wine packages in the back looked like they had just been tossed into the back like airline baggage. They royally SUCK!