TN: 10 Bibi Graetz 'Its a Game' [Toscana]

10 Bibi Graetz ‘Its a Game’ [Toscana] I’d heard about Graetz but had not tried any of his wines, which seem to have pockets of enthusiasm, although not vocally here on WB. Strange name but apparently this is the rebadged ‘Grilli’ bottling. It’s shows oak and leather on the nose. Medium body with 14% abv. On the first night it had light tannins, which surprised me but that was gone by the second night. Label states all sangiovese, and it went fine with roast chicken. I’d call this a popularly styled, early drinking kind of Tuscan – something that would appeal to a certain cravat crowd – but it seems just a shade pricey for what it is. Finish is 15-20 seconds, kind of international. An enjoyable 2010 Tuscan sangiovese (only entitled to an IGT DOC for whatever reasons) but I would not buy it again. I’m enjoying the traditional Chianti’s and I think they offer a touch more food friendly acidity, and might last longer. It’s a B for me.

Following up with the 15 Bibi Graetz ‘Casamatta’ [Toscana] another rosso that is all sangiovese, and cut on the cool side at 12.5%. Pretty label of his homemade artwork. It’s pretty solid for a screwtop kitchen Chianti like quaffer. Clean, cherry fruit, medium bodied ruby hued. I like it but the SO finds a bit too zippy for her tastes. Although labeled a 2015 I thought these are actually multi vintage blends for 3 vineyard sites. The name is similar to their flagship Testamatta, but its 1/10 the price or so, so don’t get confused if looking at a wine list. I liked it and would give it a solid B+. It’s a fair deal all things considered.

Arv - We’ve gone through cases of the white and now this rosso. It’s a brilliant wine for the price. We buy it at $5.99 but get a 20% discount if we buy six. Insane value.

He doesn’t label the vintage and does something like a solera to keep the fresh Sangiovese fruit quality. A perfect bistro wine you can have in the afternoon. Really bright and fresh. He gets his grapes from a few places around the Chianti area but doesn’t bother following the rules so just makes a really solid wine without any regional designation. And what’s astonishing is that he can do it for such a great price. Not many people in the US are able to do what he does with these wines. If you’re looking for something to pour into super expensive glasses and opine on, it may not be the wine for you. But it’s exactly what we like wine to be - something to enjoy with dinner or a snack.

The ‘16 Bibi Graetz Grilli has been offered in our local grocery outlet for $6.99

Unbelievable deal

Not Sangiovese from what I understand but rather Bordeaux varietals

Granted a little international in style but Structured fruity yet with some lift and freshness to it

Crowd pleasing and food friendly. Picked up a couple cases for a (now delayed) dinner party

Wow I thought the Cassamatta was a good deal for $10 ! I was going to say that it sort of reminded me of Vitiano back in the olden days.

I have not tried either Graetz’ blancs nor his higher end stuff. I have a Chianti DOC from him on the rack though.