Didn't quite make it to 100

• 1916 Château Durfort-Vivens - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (11/17/2015)
    A little cheesy and adehydic but certainly interesting for its age. You get plenty of antique furniture smells with some grilled nuts and cedar as well. It is a bit skinny and very savoury in the mouth. The finish is punctuated by balsamic like volatility.

Posted from CellarTracker

I thought this was about the number of bottles you drank.

Hi Jeremy,

Nice note, as usual!

A couple of the lads (you have met) and I got a chance to share a couple nearly 100 year-old Bordeaux this month also.

We had 1916 Domaine de Chevalier, which was very nice but showed its age. Not quite balsamic notes, but definitely some oxidation and “rust” in keeping with the age.

However, the 1919 Cantenac Brown we had at the same event was stunning. I could easily have thought the wine was from the 1960s if it was served blind. Strong wine - balanced, elegant, full-flavored, and even showing a little finishing tannin…remarkable bottle!

Cheers,
Blair

We had a 1916 Gruaud Larose last week, still had fruit and drank really really well.

Seems like a few of us on the board feel like it’s about time to bust the’16’s!

That '19 must have been something Blair.

Best Regards
Jeremy

Actually the 1916 GLR didn’t show as well as the 1920 we had the day before, that was one of the best wines I’ve ever had.

Hi Jeremy,

Amazing to think of the context of these 1916 French wines being made…during the Battle of the Somme!

The 1919 was by far the best non-fortified wine I have ever had with this much age on it…I’ll remember it for a long time.

All the best to you,
Blair

Hi Steve,

I have not had Gruauds from that era, but would love to try some soon - will especially look for any chance to try the '20 based on your praise. It is a producer I enjoy a lot in terms of wines of the last 40 years.

Cheers,
Blair

Sounds premoxed.

Baby killer

[cheers.gif] Wow! It seems Rudy is selling all his"oldies but goldies" stocks

So, are you recommending drinking up all of our '16’s our holding them for further development?

With a little more discipline, it would have made it.

Might have been worth the struggle…and a better story. [cry.gif]

Didn’t the Battle of the Somm just happen in that other thread?

[rofl.gif] [welldone.gif]