$25 California Cab-off

Tonight’s “panel” consisted of 9 group regulars doing a blind tasting of 4 sub-$25 bottles of Napa Cabernet at Petruce in Philadelphia (BYOB on Sundays). The wines:

2009 Hagen’s Reserve - $23.66
2010 Conn Creek - $24.99
2012 Textbook - $22.98
2012 Hardin - $23.98

The Hardin and Hagen’s Reserves were both solid recommendations by Mike ‘King Cab’ Pobega. The Conn Creek was suggested by a local liquor store, and the Textbook was an internet find. Nobody disliked any of the wines, and the scoring was tougher than the $50 Cab-off we did at the end of August. However, just like that first blind tasting, there were two bottles that finished well above the other two and were only a few points apart.

The gold went to the 2009 Hagen’s Reserve with 31 points (4 firsts, 5 seconds) followed closely by the 2010 Conn Creek with 29 points (4 firsts, 3 seconds, 2 thirds). Taking the bronze was the 2012 Hardin (1 first, 1 second, 6 thirds, 1 fourth), but most agreed it might have scored better if given more air as it opened up a little by the end of the night. Bring up the rear was the 2012 Textbook (1 third, 8 fourths), but it really wasn’t as bad tasting as the scoring would seem to show.

Overall, I don’t think anyone involved would pass on any of these if offered as they were all pretty good. Somebody has to lose, and on this night it was Textbook. In it’s defense, it had the brightest fruit of the bunch and an interesting element that reminded a couple of us of raking dried oak leaves. The Hardin was the only bottle that had a hint of green pepper. Notice that the more aged the bottle, the better it scored. The biggest rift between the Hagen’s Reserve and the Conn Creek was a preference for peppery spice, dark fruit & menthol versus cinnamon spice & cranberry / red fruit. Personally, it was damn tough deciding between the two, but in the end the cranberry / red fruit and cinnamon of the Conn Creek on the nose and palate tipped the scale in that direction for me.

[cheers.gif]

*edited for spelling

Hey Dennis, whats the full name of the Hagan’s Reserve? I am trying to look into it but all it has on cellartracker for a Hagan cabernet sauvignon is from Galilee.

Thanks,

Greg

I misspelled it Greg - it’s Hag**e**n’s Reserve. Doh! blush

Anyway, Gary’s Wine in NJ sells it, where I caught a sale:

http://www.garyswine.com/fine_wine/california/16497.html

It’s from Palmaz - here it is on CellarTracker:

and I did a quick note on it a few weeks back:

No Clos du Val?

No, because it’s tough to find under $35 let alone $25. If you’ve got a tip though I’d be happy to take it!

I was j/k. My fav that’s consistently under $25 is Educated Guess, and that’s sub $20/btl.

I’ve gotten several emails for it at $27. last one was from grapeswine.com

As for these price points Buehler and Ruston have been my favorites though the 2013 Rutherford Ranch for $17 is quite the price performer.

I figured you were being a little facetious, but didn’t want to fire a smart ass comment back. I’ll check out Educated Guess - thanks.

My favorite wine store has the Rutherford Ranch. Adding it to my list of errands today. [cheers.gif]

Nice to see Conn Creek mentioned. Their Herrick Red is also a great value–Bordeaux blend under $20.

+1 on Ruston as a great value choice in California Cabernet.

Tried Trig Point Diamond Dust Vineyard, ± 20.00. I thought a terrific value, good structure and nice fruit. Also Worthy Sophia’s Cuvee, Around 25.00. Nice Bordeaux blend.

Sebastiani Alexander Valley----Ages very nicely.

A house favorite. Popped one a couple weeks ago and it just didn’t seem to be in as good a place as it was upon release a year and a half ago. Maybe it was a bad bottle. We went through 7 bottles out of the case within 2 or 3 months back then I think.

Anyone tried the Fisch cab Gary’s is pushing? $20pb

I have. It’s okay. Not in the same league as their Hagen’s Reserve. Actually, I went out and bought a bottle of Educated Guess this afternoon and I prefer that ($17.49 at my local Canal’s) to the Fisch.

The 2012 Chateau St. Jean is pretty damn delicious if you can find it for >$25.

The Hagen is at a whole other level compared to the Fisch.

I’ve had the Fisch 2013 Cabernet. It is from Round Pond (Thomas Rivers Brown consulting winemaker) and it is very good; a true bargain @ $20. Dense and delicious. Have not tasted the Hagen.

Went to a winery sponsored dinner tonight and have two potential new house favorites at the same price point - 2014 Daou Cabernet Sauvignon (list $30, found at $25) and Daou Pessimist Red Blend (list $24, found at $20.98). Gonna order some of each tomorrow.

Their 2012 Soul of a Lion blend had a very Phelps-ish profile. More expensive, but a few here would probably like it quite a lot.

I just picked up an 07 Textbook, never had one before. Sounds like a good tasting.