New Somm Movie - Into the Bottle

The new movie, Somm - Into the Bottle debuted last night at the Napa Film Festival. While Somm was about a few people getting ready to pass one test, this is more about the wine business and individual passions that wine professionals really have. Many wine professionals (some often post on these bulletin boards) are in this flick and is a great movie for wine lovers and collectors. Full disclosure many of the people in this movie are great friends so I am biased. But do yourself a favor and check this one what.

I’ve been waiting for this flick to arrive! (I believe iTunes gets it on Dec. 18). Were you at the premiere or anyone else there that can dish about whether the movie lives up to some of the hype?

I think the movie becomes available on iTunes on February 2nd, or 9th. I’m assuming the movie will be better than the trailer

Ok – so first my apologies for posting bad information above… but second… iTunes released the movie early, so it’s now available for download! I guess I know what I’ll be doing tonight!

So we have the ‘Somm’ documentary, the Uncorked reality series, and now this…have we reached peak sommelier yet?

Would like to see more docs that take apart winemaking and the winemaking process, I feel like I don’t need a movie to tell me about tasting wine and studying wine, but winemaking is much more of a black box.

(Not that I haven’t enjoyed these movies too)

Yes, what he said. ^^^^^^^^^^^

The focus of this flick IS winemaking!

It’s much more fun to critique before partaking. That’s what the internet is for isn’t it? neener

touché, brian! :slight_smile:

I’d like to see that, but any investor/director would quickly realize that you’d lose people pretty quickly if you dive into the technical aspects (e.g., different oak types, pumping over vs. punching down, malolactic fermentation etc.). That said, A Year In Champagne did show some of the technical aspects of winemaking, and did a good job.

Old news, but if you want a documentary that doesn’t just address the sexy side of being a somm, Red Obsession was pretty good (although more about market trends than an exploration of Bordeaux).

I watched Red Obsession. It sort of put me to sleep. So maybe you’re right. A movie about wine making may not be as attractive as it sounds.

Sorry Brian, I didn’t see a summary of the film so I was going on the other comments here. My mistake.

Just poking fun, don’t sweat it. [cheers.gif]

Enjoying cigars and Calvados around a fire pit with Mr. Fred Dame a few years ago, he told me some fascinating stories regarding an 1870 Lafite, Navy Seal Teams, and duck hunting- All of which are touched on in the movie in some capacity I think. Looking forward to watching!

The film is really fun. I have an interview with Jason Wise coming out online for Decanter Magazine on February 2nd, which is the date the film goes live on ‘rest of the world’ iTunes.

I’ve seen the film (because I’m briefly in it and went to the premiere in Napa in November) and I must say I was quite impressed with it. The photography is beautiful, with vineyard shots all over the world and scenes in some great old cellars. And some quite notable people – I’m impressed with the access they were able to get.

It’s not about the technical side of grape growing and winemaking. It’s about the business and the soul of wine. It’s very different than the first SOMM film. It’s not about somms or exams. It’s about wine.

Carole

Its also on Amazon pre release for the DVD, order placed

Did Netflix buy it?

Anyone know when the rental release date is?

You can buy/stream it on Amazon instant video right now. I watched 2/3 of it before I cooked dinner and am now sitting down for the last three segments.

Watching right now (via iTunes), so will hold any overall thoughts except one: Carole has more than a “brief” appearance… she lends a wonderfully authoritative voice throughout!