Gobble, Gobble. Who's ready to hobble?

A tradition like no other… Thanksgiving wine selecting.

We are having a large group of family anf friends over a few days of gatherings. Was starting to contemplate wines and out of the blue, Zachy’s had a Big Bottle blowout. Yes, I know, their prices are generally full retail. Never the less, I quickly scanned to find a 6L of 1995 Le Pergole Torte at a price that seemed too good to be true. A few clicks later, a home delievery and finally it is in my possession for $209. Whoah… ~$26/750ml is my kind of Turkey wine. Big bottle fun with a crowd that is happpy to drink just about anything. This will definitely give Uncle Hooter his gansta lean for the couch. That will be my anchor and will fill in with others along the way.

Any fun wine choices being contemplated?

Only domestic wines on Thanksgiving/Memorial Day/July 4th. I do like LPT though!

I used to bring great wine for my in-laws, but they drink it the same way they’d drink cheap wine, so I just bring a “pretty good” bottle and tend to enjoy it with myself and maybe one other curious relative. People can drink it, don’t get me wrong, but I subtly point them to the cheaper bottle, whenever possible, whether that means placing the better bottle elsewhere or some other means.

It may seem petty, but seeing them take the equivalent of shots with $200 wine just hurts.

Oh I am completely sympathetic to that. I hate opening up something nice and having people drink it like two buck chuck. Alternatively we had someone over who did not know much about wine, but was very impressed that I had opened a 98 Rhone – and then really enjoyed drinking it. That felt good.

On Thanksgiving – we are going to a Friendsgiving this weekend – not a wine crowd. So bringing some random bottles that are okay but not amazing.For actual Thanksgiving, my wife is on call, so we are at home, and I might be eating alone. So… pulled out two 1993 Clos de Vougeot’s (Rion, and Haegelen Jayer). My wife loves Pinot (and she has not had much burgundy) so should be nice. And if I am alone… :slight_smile:

There seem to be three major approaches we WBer types take to the family Thanksgiving dinner:

1. Just bring decent QPR stuff because nobody is going to appreciate it enough

2. Try to make a more perfect food-wine match by bringing sparklers, roses, obscure white varietals, Beaujolais, etc.

3. Just bring wines that your company would like which are at least passably suitable to the dinner and don’t worry about wine pairing perfection – pinot, zins, chardonnay, etc.

I tried (2) once or twice, it was a flop (for me and my Thanksgiving crowd - not to say it might not go over well for others) with a table full of 80% empty bottles of Greek whites, Spanish roses and so forth at meal’s end, and so now I do (3). Good wines that work well enough, don’t worry about the pairing perfection. Pinots, chards and zins with decent acid, for the most part, plus something like sauvignon blanc in the mix. Just put them all out there and people can drink what they want.

As with most big meals that aren’t wine tasting events, most of the wine gets consumed before you all formally sit down and after you all formally get up, anyway, so all the more reason just to open good bottles people will like on their own merits, rather than worrying about what goes with all the particular dishes.

Remember, for Thanksgiving, it’s not about the wines, and it’s not really about the food, either, though there are usually copious amounts of both present. But the fact that there is good food and drink and friends or family to share it with are perhaps the centerpiece: to celebrate life, blessings, and one of the few times a modern family can partake of these together.

Thanksgiving is always with Laura and my folks, so it’s 4 people who are into wine around the table. We will drink exceedingly well. No decisions yet, but I am considering a Kutch Pinot Noir and a J. J. Prum Spätlese as the dinner wines. There will also be bubbly. I was hoping to showcase an Ultramarine, but they just announced a shipping delay, so that’s out of the question.

My Dad, my brother, and me almost always get deep into an aged bottle of Port, which will probably be '85 Graham’s. Gotta have a bottle of Riesling for my nieces and my wife, so that’s probably gonna be another standard: JJ Prüm. Got an ace in the hole from 1979 also. Not sure yet what other bottle(s) I’ll be bringing along.

You guys, if you want to enjoy wines, celebrate family and help someone else in need, you can drink Pinot Noir and post to the charity thread that will start in about 10 days. You’ll raise money for Laura’s House and also have a story to share with those who enjoy the bottle with you.

Look at the top of the Wine Talk page and you will see the thread that is stickied there.

There are only six of us for Thanksgiving and we tend to drive, so I’ll just be bringing three bottles:

• 2010 Bonneau de Martray Corton-Charlemagne
  • 2012 Baxter Oppenlander Pinot Noir
  • 1997 Philip Togni Cabernet

I may toss in a port or sauternes if I remember too.

Drink pinot and put a hurt on Frank’s wallet!

We always open a few pinot, zin, cab, and chard. Never put too much thought into the bottles other than the pinot.

I have a rather large Turkey day group (12+ adults), all of whom appreciate good wine. This is a fun time to break out food friendly goodies. Sure, the great bottles disappear quickly. But it’s a real treat for everyone.

I recently took delivery of Roederer Estate’s Magnum Club shipment, so probably one of those will be up. Maybe a bottle of Bordelet Poiré Granit which my younger daughter likes. Something red.

T-Day is one occasion on which I feel totally and utterly justified and guiltless in having a side bottle.

I’m visiting a close friend this year for Thanksgiving and she is a bible thumper so I won’t bring any wine but will drink a bottle when I return home in the evening. I haven’t put much thought into which bottle but more than likely a Beaujolais or a Chablis.

Haven’t put much thought into what to open on Thanksgiving yet. Unfortunately, I am the only one in my family who appreciates a good bottle of wine so it will most likely just be good QPR stuff

I always start with some bubbles to go with nibbles (will likely pop an Under the Wire this year). Then serve the '07 Biggio-Hamina Pinot and some Riesling at the table. Amaro as a digestif. Will open a couple of randoms at some point.

I usually bring a Riesling to my family Thanksgiving lunch at my aunt’s independent living facility. Almost none of my relatives drink wine.

Since I won’t have time to cook dinner we’re going to Marea to make up for the institutional food we’ll be eating for lunch. I’m eyeing a glass of Lauer riesling and a glass of SP68. Or maybe I’ll bring a bottle of Riesling, $50 corkage is less than the cost of 3 glasses of wine.

I don’t understand: since when are people who read the Bible against drinking wine? There are certain Protestant Christians who abstain from alcohol, but the two should never be conflated together.

I learned my lesson on wine for family dinners several years ago, not long after first getting serious about wine. I brought a collection of nicer bottles that would pair well, and so on. Didn’t get any farther than the initial bubbly ('88 Pol Roger) before I was asked by one family member if I had brought any “wine” instead of this fizzy stuff (which of course being an '88 wasn’t all that fizzy).

Since then, Thanksgiving and Christmas are served by reasonably priced drinkers that I don’t care about parting with or having a “wine experience”. Family seems to enjoy it more too. Last Christmas I brought three rather different reds, none rare or expensive, and they all enjoyed seeing the differences between them. I looked the other way when someone decided to combine two of them to make an “ideal” glass…