Give CO wine a taste...

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Kyle Schlachter

Give CO wine a taste...

#1 Post by Kyle Schlachter » November 10th, 2015, 1:31 pm

As some of you know, I work for the Colorado Wine Industry Development Board and we're sending samples of our Governor's Cup winning wines to a few media to participate in #UncorkColorado Virtual Wine Tasting via Twitter, beginning next week. I'd like to invite this crazy community to join in, too. [drinkers.gif] We have planned three virtual tasting events for Nov, Dec and Jan. Each virtual tasting will stream live with winemakers/winery representatives and utilize Twitter for communication. I am not expecting anyone to participate via Twitter, but you may if you like.

What I am proposing is sending three of you a few bottles of CO wine so you may share your thoughts (good or bad) here with the community. Each tasting will feature 4-6 wines. grouphug

The Uncork Colorado Tasting Series dates, times, and featured wines are as follows:

Thursday, November 19, 2015 | 6:00 p.m. MST - 7:00 p.m. MST
Featuring Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Petit Verdot

Thursday, December 10, 2015 | 6:00 p.m. MST - 7:00 p.m. MST
Featuring Viognier and Syrah

Thursday, January 21, 2016 | 6:00 p.m. MST - 7:00 p.m. MST
Featuring Cider(hopped), Peach Wine, Mead(hopped) and Dessert wines

If you would like to taste a few CO wines, I am offering the first three people interested to post which group of wines they'd like to try. Only one person is getting the Bordeaux box, one person the Rhone box and one person the 'niche' box. TomHill is banned from participating because he is old and full of it. [snort.gif] Just kidding, actually he is banned because he was a judge at the competition and tasted all of these already and posted on his time here as a judge... I'll PM the three lucky people to get shipping info. [cheers.gif] Also, cannot ship outside of lower 48...
Last edited by Kyle Schlachter on November 10th, 2015, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

Give CO wine a taste...

#2 Post by Anton D » November 10th, 2015, 1:36 pm

I'd love to try the first or second flights! (First would be most exciting, but I'd be willing to try #2, as well.)

We'd throw a party.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Cool...

#3 Post by TomHill » November 10th, 2015, 3:56 pm

Kyle Schlachter wrote:As some of you know, I work for the Colorado Wine Industry Development Board and we're sending samples of our Governor's Cup winning wines to a few media to participate in #UncorkColorado Virtual Wine Tasting via Twitter, beginning next week. I'd like to invite this crazy community to join in, too. [drinkers.gif] We have planned three virtual tasting events for Nov, Dec and Jan. Each virtual tasting will stream live with winemakers/winery representatives and utilize Twitter for communication. I am not expecting anyone to participate via Twitter, but you may if you like.

What I am proposing is sending three of you a few bottles of CO wine so you may share your thoughts (good or bad) here with the community. Each tasting will feature 4-6 wines. grouphug

The Uncork Colorado Tasting Series dates, times, and featured wines are as follows:

Thursday, November 19, 2015 | 6:00 p.m. MST - 7:00 p.m. MST
Featuring Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Petit Verdot

Thursday, December 10, 2015 | 6:00 p.m. MST - 7:00 p.m. MST
Featuring Viognier and Syrah

Thursday, January 21, 2016 | 6:00 p.m. MST - 7:00 p.m. MST
Featuring Cider(hopped), Peach Wine, Mead(hopped) and Dessert wines

If you would like to taste a few CO wines, I am offering the first three people interested to post which group of wines they'd like to try. Only one person is getting the Bordeaux box, one person the Rhone box and one person the 'niche' box. TomHill is banned from participating because he is old and full of it. [snort.gif] Just kidding, actually he is banned because he was a judge at the competition and tasted all of these already and posted on his time here as a judge... I'll PM the three lucky people to get shipping info. [cheers.gif] Also, cannot ship outside of lower 48...
Cool idea, Kyle. I won't take my banishment as personal.

I'm here to tell you all that the 3'rd box is not to be sniveled at. There are some very interesting wines/beverages in that set. Based on what I tasted, anyway.

Tom

JPWilley
GCC Member
GCC Member

Give CO wine a taste...

#4 Post by JPWilley » November 10th, 2015, 4:05 pm

I'd take the Rhone box (and do my best to join the virtual).
Skewing old
Joe

Kyle Schlachter

Cool...

#5 Post by Kyle Schlachter » November 10th, 2015, 4:15 pm

TomHill wrote: If you would like to taste a few CO wines, I am offering the first three people interested to post which group of wines they'd like to try. Only one person is getting the Bordeaux box, one person the Rhone box and one person the 'niche' box. TomHill is banned from participating because he is old and full of it. [snort.gif] Just kidding, actually he is banned because he was a judge at the competition and tasted all of these already and posted on his time here as a judge... I'll PM the three lucky people to get shipping info. [cheers.gif] Also, cannot ship outside of lower 48...
Cool idea, Kyle. I won't take my banishment as personal.

I'm here to tell you all that the 3'rd box is not to be sniveled at. There are some very interesting wines/beverages in that set. Based on what I tasted, anyway.

Tom[/quote]

Well, that last one is the only one still up for grabs...
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

Give CO wine a taste...

#6 Post by Michael Martin » November 10th, 2015, 6:12 pm

I'd take any. I am CO wine fan anyway.

B i l l Z h a n g

Give CO wine a taste...

#7 Post by B i l l Z h a n g » November 10th, 2015, 6:19 pm

Hello Kyle,

I may be a bit late, but how would this work, exactly? Perhaps you can enlighten me and any curious viewers.

mseeber

Give CO wine a taste...

#8 Post by mseeber » November 10th, 2015, 6:23 pm

I'd take either of the first two, but being a Front Ranger I'm sure the effort would be wasted as I am already a convert (especially Colterris and Canyon Wind). I'm looking forward to the results of virtual tasting.
M a r k S e e b e r
CT=mseeber

GregT

Give CO wine a taste...

#9 Post by GregT » November 10th, 2015, 6:32 pm

We included a few CO wines in our tasting group a few years ago. Lots of promise. Would love to try more. I've been very impressed by the wines from MI and even Ohio as well. It's all to the good IMO, but I kind of wish people would start to get away from more "Bordeaux" blends.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Kyle Schlachter

Give CO wine a taste...

#10 Post by Kyle Schlachter » November 10th, 2015, 7:09 pm

B i l l Z h a n g wrote:Hello Kyle,

I may be a bit late, but how would this work, exactly? Perhaps you can enlighten me and any curious viewers.
Bill, the idea for WB is just to give a few board members a chance to taste something different and report back to the board. It be great if they invite friends/berserkers over to taste, too. I'm not suggesting WBers follow on Twitter, but feel free to if you desire.

The larger idea is to get a few local media and bloggers across the country, that regularly use Twitter, to all gather at the same time to taste the wines and discuss them with the winemakers, and perhaps write about them. A few other regions do this, but this is the first attempt by CO. Does that help clear that up?
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

Kyle Schlachter

Give CO wine a taste...

#11 Post by Kyle Schlachter » November 10th, 2015, 7:12 pm

Michael Martin wrote:I'd take any. I am CO wine fan anyway.
Didn't ban Coloradans, just TomHill!
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

Kyle Schlachter

Give CO wine a taste...

#12 Post by Kyle Schlachter » November 10th, 2015, 7:14 pm

mseeber wrote:I'd take either of the first two, but being a Front Ranger I'm sure the effort would be wasted as I am already a convert (especially Colterris and Canyon Wind). I'm looking forward to the results of virtual tasting.
Happy to hear! Both are making good wine. Have you been up to Creekside Cellars in Evergreen? Anybody that heads up there should tell Bill, Anita, or Michelle I sent you!
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

Kyle Schlachter

Give CO wine a taste...

#13 Post by Kyle Schlachter » November 10th, 2015, 7:17 pm

GregT wrote:We included a few CO wines in our tasting group a few years ago. Lots of promise. Would love to try more. I've been very impressed by the wines from MI and even Ohio as well. It's all to the good IMO, but I kind of wish people would start to get away from more "Bordeaux" blends.
Yes, I keep suggesting wineries try something different. Anything from Aglianico to Zweigelt! I had a killer Counoise at Creekside a few weeks ago. More need to follow suit...
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

Give CO wine a taste...

#14 Post by Michael Martin » November 11th, 2015, 7:54 am

Kyle Schlachter wrote:
GregT wrote:We included a few CO wines in our tasting group a few years ago. Lots of promise. Would love to try more. I've been very impressed by the wines from MI and even Ohio as well. It's all to the good IMO, but I kind of wish people would start to get away from more "Bordeaux" blends.
Yes, I keep suggesting wineries try something different. Anything from Aglianico to Zweigelt! I had a killer Counoise at Creekside a few weeks ago. More need to follow suit...
Could anyone in Colorado make an Aglianico?

Kyle Schlachter

Give CO wine a taste...

#15 Post by Kyle Schlachter » November 11th, 2015, 8:03 am

Well, we don't know because none is planted. Maybe Aglianico isn't the best example as it buds early and ripens late, but my point is more diversity beyond Bordeaux varieties would be welcomed.
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Yup...

#16 Post by TomHill » November 11th, 2015, 8:09 am

Kyle Schlachter wrote:Well, we don't know because none is planted. Maybe Aglianico isn't the best example as it buds early and ripens late, but my point is more diversity beyond Bordeaux varieties would be welcomed.
Yup...preachin' to the choir here, Kyle. At the levels of production of most CO wineries, I think it would be far easier marketing
some of these other varieties than just anuther Cab or Merlot. Can we say Teroldego or Schioppettino???
Tom

Kyle Schlachter

Give CO wine a taste...

#17 Post by Kyle Schlachter » November 11th, 2015, 8:40 am

Unfortunately, too many wineries think they can only sell Cab, Chard, and Merlot.
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

Frank Smith

Give CO wine a taste...

#18 Post by Frank Smith » November 11th, 2015, 2:10 pm

What are some recommended CO producers? I travel there at least once or twice a year, but have only tried wines from The Winery at Holy Cross Abbey in Cañon City after we toured the old abbey. That was at least 5 years ago and I don't recall my impressions of the wines.

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

My Impression...

#19 Post by TomHill » November 12th, 2015, 7:45 am

Frank Smith wrote:What are some recommended CO producers? I travel there at least once or twice a year, but have only tried wines from The Winery at Holy Cross Abbey in Cañon City after we toured the old abbey. That was at least 5 years ago and I don't recall my impressions of the wines.
My impression of the wines was not very favorable. Not bad...just not very interesting. Plus loads of gee-gaws for sale at the tasting room.
Tom

Kyle Schlachter

Give CO wine a taste...

#20 Post by Kyle Schlachter » November 12th, 2015, 7:57 am

Frank Smith wrote:What are some recommended CO producers? I travel there at least once or twice a year, but have only tried wines from The Winery at Holy Cross Abbey in Cañon City after we toured the old abbey. That was at least 5 years ago and I don't recall my impressions of the wines.
Depends what style you like.
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

Ian Sutton

Cool...

#21 Post by Ian Sutton » November 12th, 2015, 2:02 pm

TomHill wrote:

Tom
OBJECTION YOUR HONOUR!!!!

Leading the witness! [wink.gif]
Normal for Norfolk

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

Give CO wine a taste...

#22 Post by Michael Martin » November 12th, 2015, 4:42 pm

For consistency and variety, it's hard to beat Creekside Cellars. She makes a great Cab Franc, Petite Verdot and a BDX style blend called Robusto. Her whites and Rose' can be good too. I also like Cottonwood cabs, but they may be a little inconsistent. I've had good cabs from Colterris and a nice Meritage from Grand River.

Kyle Schlachter

Give CO wine a taste...

#23 Post by Kyle Schlachter » October 5th, 2016, 2:11 pm

Let's give this a go again. I've been shipping the 2016 winners to various wine media and now it's time for 6 Berserkers to get some wine [berserker.gif] . What I am proposing again is sending six of you a few bottles of CO wine so you may share your thoughts (good or bad) here with the community. Each person will get 2 wines. If you would like to taste a few CO wines, the first six people interested to post will get a box of wine via FedEx. TomHill is unbanned because he was replaced by Mike Dunne at the competition this year. [snort.gif]

If you're interested, here is Mike's article on the competition.

Here are the wines:
2016 GOVERNOR’S CUP CASE (Top 12 scoring grape wines)
Bookcliff Vineyards (Boulder) - 2013 Ensemble Red Blend, Grand Valley AVA BEST IN SHOW
Bookcliff Vineyards (Boulder) - 2013 Cabernet Franc Reserve, Grand Valley AVA
Bookcliff Vineyards (Boulder) - 2014 Syrah, Grand Valley AVA
Colorado Cellars (Palisade) - 1991 Cabernet Sauvignon, Colorado
Fox Fire Farms (Ignacio) - 2015 Traminette, Colorado
Kingman Estates Winery (Denver) - 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon, Grand Valley AVA
Plum Creek Winery (Palisade) - 2015 Dry Riesling, Grand Valley AVA
Red Fox Cellars (Palisade) - 2015 Rosé of Tempranillo, Grand Valley AVA
Snowy Peaks Winery (Estes Park) - 2013 Petit Verdot, Grand Valley AVA
Whitewater Hill Vineyards (Grand Junction) - 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve, Grand Valley AVA
Whitewater Hill Vineyards (Grand Junction) - 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon , Grand Valley AVA
Whitewater Hill Vineyards (Grand Junction) - 2014 Shiraz, Grand Valley AVA
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

Give CO wine a taste...

#24 Post by Anton D » October 5th, 2016, 2:17 pm

I had my turn last time and it made for a fantastic tasting and discussion over an evening of wine and food.

I would encourage people to take Kyle up on this generous (amazing) offer! It was an exciting thing to get to do.

Kyle kicks booty! [cheers.gif]
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

David_S

Give CO wine a taste...

#25 Post by David_S » October 5th, 2016, 2:40 pm

I'll give it a shot [cheers.gif]
Spr3ch3r

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

Give CO wine a taste...

#26 Post by Bob Hughes » October 5th, 2016, 2:46 pm

Color me skeptical about Colorado wines, but I would be willing to try them and share my thoughts with the Board.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

Give CO wine a taste...

#27 Post by Michael Martin » October 5th, 2016, 4:06 pm

Anton D wrote:I had my turn last time and it made for a fantastic tasting and discussion over an evening of wine and food.

[cheers.gif]
Me too. Very fun. I'll let someone else have a try this year.

mseeber

Give CO wine a taste...

#28 Post by mseeber » October 5th, 2016, 6:48 pm

I'm in if you still need tasters...
M a r k S e e b e r
CT=mseeber

Tom Wheltle
GCC Member
GCC Member

Give CO wine a taste...

#29 Post by Tom Wheltle » October 5th, 2016, 8:13 pm

We're moving to Colorado in the spring, so maybe a jump start on the local vino?

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

Give CO wine a taste...

#30 Post by Anton D » October 5th, 2016, 10:38 pm

Well, if you end up short contact me.
Anton Dotson

greg gartland

Give CO wine a taste...

#31 Post by greg gartland » October 6th, 2016, 6:57 am

I'd very much be into doing this.

Kyle Schlachter

Give CO wine a taste...

#32 Post by Kyle Schlachter » October 6th, 2016, 11:26 am

Anton D wrote:Well, if you end up short contact me.
Who knew giving away wine would prove so difficult! Only 5 takers as of now. I'll give it a few more hours for a final willing participant to volunteer. [whistle.gif]
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

Mike Stoneking
GCC Member
GCC Member

Give CO wine a taste...

#33 Post by Mike Stoneking » October 6th, 2016, 11:47 am

I will take them and share with my weekly wine Cellar tasting group. Thanks.
ITB..............Someone has to drink all this damn wine.
Viva Berserkers!!

stewart lancaster

Give CO wine a taste...

#34 Post by stewart lancaster » October 6th, 2016, 12:25 pm

I am up for it. I have a small wine group with 3 others who we brown bag taste all the time

Kyle Schlachter

Give CO wine a taste...

#35 Post by Kyle Schlachter » October 6th, 2016, 12:30 pm

We have our six.
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Give CO wine a taste...

#36 Post by Cameron Hughes » October 6th, 2016, 1:25 pm

hey - anybody falls out, I'm game.

David_S

Give CO wine a taste...

#37 Post by David_S » October 16th, 2016, 11:16 am

Would like to thank Kyle for his group's generosity. I was sent 2013 Kingman Cabernet and 2014 Whitewater Hill Cabernet. Both from the Grand Valley AVA.
Two glasses were coravined from each and sat for an hour before tasting.
Both wines have a dark ruby colour, and that's where the similarities end. I started with the Whitewater Hill if for no other reason than the label was more elegant. It smelled of red fruits, plum, and vanilla. First impressions were it was much thinner than I thought it would be. More like a Pinot. Medium tannins and fairly acidic and tart with a green apple taste to me.
The Kingman smelled of earth and moss as a polar opposite to the Whitewater. Again medium tannin and the taste mirrored the smell with wet earth and tobacco, with a lingering bitter finish.
After a few tastes we added in cheeses and meats and the wines were sipped over the next hour. The Whitewater tartness was tamed somewhat with food but the bitterness of the Kingman was still present even after various meats and salamis.
Spr3ch3r

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

Give CO wine a taste...

#38 Post by Bob Hughes » October 18th, 2016, 5:18 pm

In the interests of keeping Kyle's thread on page 1, my first TN (and I believe my inaugural Colorado TN) will be the 2015 Fox Fire Farms Traminette. Color is a lemon yellow, and the nose has a sweetly fruity note.

Light-bodied on the palate, decent persistence on the finish - not bad at all. I checked the website out, and they indicate that Traminette is a hybrid grape - they compared it to Gewurztraminer, but other than a floral note on the nose, I don't think I would make the same comparison. Not overly complex, but certainly pleasant enough for an aperitif/quaffing. [cheers.gif]

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

Give CO wine a taste...

#39 Post by Anton D » October 18th, 2016, 5:44 pm

Bob Hughes wrote:In the interests of keeping Kyle's thread on page 1, my first TN (and I believe my inaugural Colorado TN) will be the 2015 Fox Fire Farms Traminette. Color is a lemon yellow, and the nose has a sweetly fruity note.

Light-bodied on the palate, decent persistence on the finish - not bad at all. I checked the website out, and they indicate that Traminette is a hybrid grape - they compared it to Gewurztraminer, but other than a floral note on the nose, I don't think I would make the same comparison. Not overly complex, but certainly pleasant enough for an aperitif/quaffing. [cheers.gif]
Heck, I enjoyed it and I am only reading along!

If I read your note without knowing what you tasted, I would have guessed viognier.
Anton Dotson

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

Give CO wine a taste...

#40 Post by Michael Martin » October 24th, 2016, 8:35 am

stewart lancaster

Give CO wine a taste...

#41 Post by stewart lancaster » October 26th, 2016, 6:01 am

last night I tasted the Snowy Peaks vineyard 2013 Petit verdot. I was quite impressed. It needed about 2 hrs to open up. Medium in color, on the nose, plum, anise. Taste-dark berries, sl. celery, graphite,good acidity and moderate tannins. Long finish. My score-90. Don't know the price point-but well worth trying. Thx for sending! champagne.gif

Kyle Schlachter

Give CO wine a taste...

#42 Post by Kyle Schlachter » October 26th, 2016, 6:29 am

Glad you enjoyed it. It's about $27. Only ~80 cases produced.
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

Tom Wheltle
GCC Member
GCC Member

Give CO wine a taste...

#43 Post by Tom Wheltle » October 26th, 2016, 8:59 am

We tried the Plum Creek 2015 Dry Riesling and the BookCliff 2013 Cabernet Franc. The riesling was indeed dry, in the Alsatian style. A pleasant floral nose and the palate was dominated by grapefruit flavors.

The cab franc had a beautiful nose of spices and flowers, followed by very Bordeaux-like flavors. The middle was pretty thin and the finish was practically non-existent. At the same time, I didn't really get the impression that more age would round this out.

Everyone in the group at our friends' lake house enjoyed the wines but we quickly moved on to other bottles. Like many Maryland and Virginia wines I've tried, these wines were quality-wise about what I expected, but at their price points ($17 for the riesling and $26 form the cab franc) you have to be willing to spend up to support local producers

Thanks again for putting this together, Kyle.

PS - I wonder if Boulder-based BookCliff is channeling TomHill-style punctuation? :-)

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Give CO wine a taste...

#44 Post by TomHill » October 26th, 2016, 9:44 am

Tom Wheltle wrote:We tried the Plum Creek 2015 Dry Riesling and the BookCliff 2013 Cabernet Franc. The riesling was indeed dry, in the Alsatian style. A pleasant floral nose and the palate was dominated by grapefruit flavors.

The cab franc had a beautiful nose of spices and flowers, followed by very Bordeaux-like flavors. The middle was pretty thin and the finish was practically non-existent. At the same time, I didn't really get the impression that more age would round this out.

Everyone in the group at our friends' lake house enjoyed the wines but we quickly moved on to other bottles. Like many Maryland and Virginia wines I've tried, these wines were quality-wise about what I expected, but at their price points ($17 for the riesling and $26 form the cab franc) you have to be willing to spend up to support local producers

Thanks again for putting this together, Kyle.

PS - I wonder if Boulder-based BookCliff is channeling TomHill-style punctuation? :-)
Yup, Tom.....they've followed me from the very start!! [snort.gif]
Tom

Bob Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

Give CO wine a taste...

#45 Post by Bob Hughes » October 27th, 2016, 8:08 am

I uncorked my 2nd bottle last night, and did a double-take when I actually looked at the label - a 1991 Colorado Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon. A 25 year old Colorado wine - who knew?

I didn't finish the bottle, so if I get the chance I will update my thoughts with a "day 2" glass, but it wasn't bad as a wine, and the fact that it was 25 years old and still drinking reasonably well definitely gives it "extra credit". As I tried it last night, I did get some green/vegetal notes that some folks might associate with underripe grapes - I like Togni wines, so those notes don't trouble me personally, but I could see someone commenting on that facet of the wine.

At any rate, I was glad to take part in Kyle's little "experiment"/survey - both wines I tried were certainly well-made at a minimum, and while neither of them would probably motivate me to seek them out, it was educational nonetheless. [cheers.gif]

Kyle Schlachter

Give CO wine a taste...

#46 Post by Kyle Schlachter » February 2nd, 2017, 9:34 am

For those interested... RH Drexel, who writes Loam Baby, just published a story over on Wine Advocate's Wine Journal: Shadows from the Starlight: Visiting Colorado Wine Country
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

Give CO wine a taste...

#47 Post by Michael Martin » February 2nd, 2017, 9:48 am

Nice article. I enjoy seeing an outsider's perspective when visiting our fine state. One of the first things they did was visit a pot shop. I find that odd, but I think that is what people associate with Colorado now.

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

Give CO wine a taste...

#48 Post by Peter Kleban » February 2nd, 2017, 9:55 am

FWIW, in 2013 I had a glass of

Colterris Cabernet Sauvignon 2010
Grand Valley, Colorado

No extensive TN but I found it a very nice Cab. At the time it was ca $20.
Bob Wood:
"Peter..your well-reasoned words were a waste of time."
WsOTY:
Vigot Vosne-Romanée Chalandins '16
Patricia Green Mysterious '16
Paetra Pinot Blanc Coast Rng '18
Terrien Chardonnay '15
Dirty & Rowdy Evangelho '17
Giacosa Arneis '16
Bêcheur Chardonnay Anderson Vly '18
Felettig Morey St. Denis VV '14

mseeber

Give CO wine a taste...

#49 Post by mseeber » August 29th, 2017, 2:28 pm

So I am finally getting around to posting my notes on the two bottles I received:
- Bookcliff Vineyards (Boulder) - 2014 Syrah, Grand Valley AVA
- Whitewater Hill Vineyards (Grand Junction) - 2014 Shiraz, Grand Valley AVA

I found the Whitewater Hill Shiraz to be a bit ahead of the Bookcliff Syrah for my immediate impression after opening (and overall impression), although the Bookcliff seemed to evolve more and reveal subtlety the longer it was open (whereas the Whitewater Hill tasted consistently over several hours). I perceive that both pair well with Colorado-inspired cuisine, in my case I enjoyed with Colorado Elk burgers with grilled Brussels sprouts & bacon...really any lean meat or earthy-spiced dishes like a braised beef short rib with chipotles, etc.

Both of these wines veered toward the ripe and bright, good acidity but not overly so, both had enough background interest to play off the smoky and gamey characteristics of the Elk and open-fire cooking, furthering the complimentary spice characteristics that make them interesting alternatives to California and Australia Syrah/Shiraz.

I'm not convinced either of these would deliver much from cellaring for any extended period, but certainly will drink well for the immediate future (5+ years). Especially at the price (each of these wines retails around $18), there is likely little to be gained. If nothing else, these wines provide a unique drinking experience to pair with your fall harvest (for the hunters out there) or perhaps the cuisine of the Rocky Mountains / Southwest.

Well-done, and thanks again Kyle!
M a r k S e e b e r
CT=mseeber

Kyle Schlachter

Give CO wine a taste...

#50 Post by Kyle Schlachter » August 31st, 2017, 9:48 am

Mark, glad you enjoyed the wines. I'll be doing the same thing this year in the next few weeks once all the new Governor's Cup Case wines come in to the office... [cheers.gif]
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

Return to “Wine Talk”