1968 Beaulieu Vineyard Pinot Noir Beaumont

Anyone know exactly where the fruit comes from? I think it is Napa fruit, and not Carnernos, which was planted only a few years earlier. Would it have been made by Tchelistcheff?

Thanks.

I have a bottle for my wife’s 50th so I’m following along.

Label has Napa Valley on it, so I suppose it is from the vineyards in Rutherford. I found some blog in which the writer claims to have conversed directly with Tchelistcheff - according to her (I think it is a her), he stated that after the 46 and 47 Beaumont PNs, the 68 was his favourite. Who knows.

I had two bottles of the 1969, back in 09 and 10. One was tired, but still drinkable and interesting if you appreciate old wines. The other was quite good. I think they were Carneros. Enjoy, if you get a good bottle it will be a nice experience.

1968 was a great great year for BV cab. Glenn, hope it is in good shape.

Remember buying three cases of half bottles at a cool $2 per. (In the 1970s)
Had mighty fine drinking for a few years.
I would think it likely that the wine is over the hill now…

TTT

Yup, wonderfully elegant Cab.
Does anyone know about the 1965?

Less than 3 years away from a duel uncorking.
image.jpg

Coincidentally, we poured this BTG last night.
The '68 BV Beaumont PNs are a bit hit-or-miss these days, at least for me.
I’ve had some really, really nice bottles, but lately some have been mearly “good” to “interesting”.
I’m not sure if it’s storage issues or simply age, as they’ve all come from the same source (bought on release and stored properly), but I’ve noticed a great deal more bottle variation recently than I remember 5-10 yrs ago.
That said, when they show well, they show WELL.

As for the '65 cabs, both the Rutherford and GdLT bottles can still be fantastic; my birth year, and I’ve had quite a bit:)

Sorry I don’t know the answer to your question, but remember that the Carneros AVA spans parts of both Napa and Sonoma AVAs. So it could say Napa Valley and still be from Carneros. Hope someone has the answer.

Not to hijack, but has anybody had the '77 BV Beaumont? Stumbled across a buried case and curious to the potential…

Cheers,

Jeff

When I started drinking wine in the late 80’s we snapped up all we could get of these late 60’s pinots.

I thought BV had a couple of Rutherford plots dedicated to Pinot Noir back in the 1940s. Am I wrong?

That’s my understanding too. Also that the 46 and 47 Pinots came from Rutherford. But in the early 60’s the Carneros holdings were planted, and the Carneros bottling then appeared sometime afterwards.