Favorite cheap wine with NY style pizza?

Cheap here means <$20 retail

I’ll throw out 2010 Monte Antico Toscana IGT SuperTuscan Blend ($10) Over-delivers every year.

I’ll list 2010 Moris Farms Morellino di Scansano. But this wine could be from most any vintage and fit in this thread ($15).

I would go with this one - Fattoria Viticcio: Bere Toscana IGT

Selvapianna Chianti Rufina. Too bad you cannot get NY style pizza anywhere but NY. Something about the water.

Other than all the of Italian options (which I’m sure will be spoken for here), I actually really like inexpensive Bordeaux with pizza (basic Bordeaux and Bordeaux Superior AC, Graves, the various Cotes ACs). I’m probably a bit of an oddball . . . . well that’s a given, but in this particular regard. :slight_smile:

Lambrusco from a good producer. Zinfandel or zinfandelish blends can also be good, though it’s depressingly difficult to find a good one under $20. Marietta Old Vine Red would fit the bill.

Blaufränkisch

C’mon people!

Pizza=Naples=Aglianico. I prefer a softer more open one, like something from Campania closer to Naples, or Aglianico del Vulture further inland. Taurasi is nice if properly aged, but probably well over $20/bot these days.

Really stupid question from me - how does a NY style pizza vary from a Neapolitan pizza? Deep crust?

I know food and wine ultra-purists will recoil in horror at this comment, but I find 90%+ of good Italian red wines go well with pizza. Not that pizza is the most perfect pairing or the traditional local pairing for all those wines, but just that they go perfectly well together in a “what to quaff with pizza on a weeknight” kind of sense. So my answer would be “whatever are your favorite Italian red wines at the price point you want.”

Barbera, Chianti, Etna, Rosso di Montalcino, Langhe Nebbiolo, those all seem like pretty obvious places to look. In that huge category, I’d say it’s more about what varieties, regions and producers you like, than it is one being more perfect for NY pizza than the other.

It is similar to Neapolitan. Just awesome. Thin crust and no ham and pineapple. [snort.gif]

Deep dish is popular in Chicago.

Thanks Nancy!

Rustic reds certainly work - a nice cut of acidity and not too substantial/rich. I agree Lambrusco can work, though it is my favourite food/wine pairing with cured meats - the pairing significantly improving both.

I wonder whether champagne would work well…? I’ve not tried it.

regards
Ian

FIFY

I’ve never been a fan of wine and pizza. Why drink cheap wine when you can just enjoy a great beer instead?

NY style is thin crust, you heathen! [berserker.gif] Always thin and crispy, or it’s cooked wrong.

My view is that it’s based on Neapolitan style, but the red sauce usually has a secret spice element to it (garlic, oregano, dried basil, s&p), where Neapolitan style tends to be fresh tomato diced/crushed without much else. Also the cheese is almost always some type of blend of mozzarella (not fresh), asiago, romano & parmesan, and most cheese on your typical NY pizza slice probably comes from Wisconsin.

Have to agree here.

Please explain to me the how the cost/benefit ratio of 5 servings of $4 beer or a $20 bottle of wine is unequal.

Eternally grateful. flirtysmile

True too…although, you can definitely get good beers to drink at home for less than $4/bottle.

There’s more to it than that - traditional NY pizza is made from NY flour and cooked in American gas ovens. That produces a different product that pizza cooked with European flour in European-manufactured ovens. Also, by-the-slice pizza has a distinct (and for my biased and native palate, superior) texture in the crust because of reheating - essentially toasting the bottom crust while the middle of the crush stays moister, which requires a thin crust to avoid a doughy slice.

Put differently, I would consider a slice of white pizza from a good NY slice joint to be a quintessentially NY pizza, though there’s no sauce at all. (FWIW, white pizza is one of the great wine pairings there is, requiring none of the machinations you see in this thread to pair with the high-acid/high-sugar tomato sauce). Similarly, I would consider a grandma slice to be NY pizza, even though many of those slices have little cheese, and the sauce is often generously spoon on TOP of the cheese.