2014 Dirty and Rowdy White Oak Flats Mourvedre

2014 Dirty and Rowdy White Oak Flats Mourvedre - This is a phenomenal wine. It comes across more like a 1er cru Chambolle Burgundy or Foillard Beaujolais than a California Mourvedre. Its very light red in color. Aromatically it has intense floral perfume with a bit of earthy wood. Lovely and captivating. Great acidic energy drives red fruit and flower flavors and it finishes with great vibrancy. This is pretty much my platonic ideal for young red wine.

Interesting. Where is White Oak Flats? And your description of the acidity makes me curious about picking time, Brix, ABV, etc. Any info on those things?

Not sure exactly. There is a skinner vineyard on Green Valley Rd in Rescue Ca. Perhaps it is that one. There are lots of Oaks around there still so the name would fit.

Based on the 12% alcohol it was probably picked around 21ish brix I’d guess. Don’t know for sure though.

Berry- Glad you dug it. We are really happy with this one.

White Oak Flats is in El Dorado County in the town of Rescue, CA (next to the elementary school). It sits at about 1000Ft elevation. The vineyard is owned by Skinner Vineyards / Winery. The soils are a mix of clay and decomposed granite. Google Maps (The Mourvedre is the block in the bottom right corner.)

In '14 we got it up to about 21.5brix (soaked up to 22) and we picked the last weekend of Sept. Though low brix, we do not pick this one early- The Mourvèdre on this vineyard has never seen 23brix. The canopy is close to gone by the last week of Sept. and we have to pick. It is an ideal site for the type of wine we make.

Ok, million dollar question (ok, $90 question): I have exactly one magnum of this coming. Drink soon or age for how long? I tend to dive right into the D&R wines as they come off the delivery truck, but I generally have two bottles of each wine.

I’d hold it. In 1.5L I’d give this wine at least 2yrs.

I think the 750s of this have stunning aromatics and show a lot of charm now, but they should have the structure and balance to evolve into something really pretty. (That being said, I think the '13s of this will outlive the '14s.)

Hardy,

Quick question. How are these wines developing on day 2 or 3 after opening? Curious to hear.

And viva Mourvèdre!

They completely fall apart. :wink: Just kidding-

I haven’t taken a '14 past day 3. It showed really well- It lost some of its primary / sexy perfume, but picked up some oomph & bass and the tannins felt more clicked in.

(By neglect) I left a '13 open for about 10 days and it was still a baby. It was like a day 2 bottle.

That’s what I figured, brother. Thanks for sharing! And when am I going to get my hands on some of those 14s? Will you be visiting the area soon?

Larry- Kate and I will be in Los Olivos for Thanksgiving. Will you be around? I’ll bring some down.

Let’s make it happen, brother! Just give me a heads up.

Hardy, of all the wines just shipped, which should I open tonight? I’m thinking the Enfield wine.

White Oak Flats is out because I only have 1 750 and 1 mag, I’ll wait on that.

Hardy mentioned elsewhere that the Enfield collaboration was pretty tight.

I thought the same, when drinking one of the '13’s. Definitely picked up new world Rhone on the nose, but after plenty of air, the freshness and overall palate impression had me thinking CdN Burgundy.

I opened all three of the wines this AM for a tasting and it is a tough call. I’d probably open the Stoney Creek. I think they all show some lovely and compelling stuff, but they are babies. Besides the Dirty Rowdy and Enfield (hold), Evangelho is the one I’d probably open last- It is kind of stunning / “wow” now, but it has so much more to give and there is so little of both that and the White Oak Flats.

Thanks Hardy

You may not remember, but we tasted the Evangehlo from barrel last December it was a WOW for me. Best D&R wine ever and I think I’ve had most.

Luckily you wish listed me, so I have 2 mags and 2 750’s of that. Will open one this holiday.

Opened the D&R&E last Friday. Really tight for the first hour. Opened up nicely after 2 hours and began to show some real depth after 3 hours.

Chuck, I remember well. It was great tasting with you. The Evangelho is special. The '14 is killer and the '15 shows a lot of promise, too.

We agree, the DRE is very tight upon pop and pour (though the nose is there early), it needs a few hours, but better yet some time in the cellar.

As mentioned above- On Fri I opened all three of the Mourvèdre from the Fall release. I still had them open today (Day 5), and they were still showing great. All of these wines should be able to go for awhile.

Holy cow this is singing now. One of my favorite D&R reds to date. Props to Hardy, and I wish I had more!

Note from CT:
Pomegranate syrup nose with hibiscus floral notes, a touch of cinnamon and a hint of eucalyptus (?). Supple yet light-bodied, a bit of tannin hanging in there (popped and poured) on the finish, but so drinkable and alluring. Bright cherry love juice. In a super place right now.

Great note, bradkaplan!!!

It sounds like this wine has really harmonized over the last two years or so.

FYI, night two felt a bit off - more grippy, slightly more sour - but saved just enough for a small glass night 3 and it came back with a vengeance. So good.