Cameron Hughes Private Reserve

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Greg Smith

#1 Post by Greg Smith » November 4th, 2015, 11:25 am

Cameron is out today with a 6 bottle vertical (2006-2011) from a "cult" producer. Looking at the description and COLA could this possibly be Harlan The Maiden? Someone tell me that is impossible.

Kyle Schlachter

#2 Post by Kyle Schlachter » November 4th, 2015, 11:34 am

Pretty sure Harlan did not change ownership...
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Anton D » November 4th, 2015, 11:46 am

Is Cameron Hughes wine what they have tastings of at Costco?
Anton Dotson

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Nate Simon » November 4th, 2015, 12:08 pm

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#5 Post by Todd F r e n c h » November 4th, 2015, 12:19 pm

Cameron sent me a pack of this vertical to try with some Berserkers, and we're scheduled to do the tasting on the 16th. Won't help those of you who plan to purchase it, though, sorry, but that's the soonest I could get an OC gang together, as apparently no weekends are available...ever.

I know nothing more about them other than the 'cult' story shown on the website, but we'll be posting notes after the tasting. I'm told I will need to open them for quite a few hours, or double decant them.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

david.heath

#6 Post by david.heath » November 4th, 2015, 2:57 pm

Could this be a Napa Valley Reserve bottling? I think I read you can transfer your NPR membership, which could be what Cameron is referring to with "quietly changed hands between two individuals of considerable wealth."

Jeff Stettner

#7 Post by Jeff Stettner » November 4th, 2015, 3:18 pm

My father forwarded me the email today and my immediate thought was Sloan Estate. Pieces all would fit together...

Winery sold without the existing inventory, expensive consultant, $200-300 price tag. Pure speculation on my part, but at least there's some logic to it?
ITB...

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Alan Eden » November 4th, 2015, 3:25 pm

Anyone tried the wines, it is tempting but not knowing what your drinking is somehow disconcerting to me
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

D@v1dZ

#9 Post by D@v1dZ » November 4th, 2015, 3:36 pm

If the bottles were sold to CH as "shiners", wouldn't the cork give away the producer?

Kyle Schlachter

#10 Post by Kyle Schlachter » November 4th, 2015, 3:40 pm

Jeff Stettner wrote:My father forwarded me the email today and my immediate thought was Sloan Estate. Pieces all would fit together...

Winery sold without the existing inventory, expensive consultant, $200-300 price tag. Pure speculation on my part, but at least there's some logic to it?
Was my thought too, but... Timing doesn't quite work. Vineyard changed ownership. Alcohol levels posted in Herr Heimoff's reviews don't work. So probably not Sloan.
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

Nolan E

#11 Post by Nolan E » November 4th, 2015, 4:37 pm

DavidZ wrote:If the bottles were sold to CH as "shiners", wouldn't the cork give away the producer?
I haven't been involved in tons of shiner bottlings, but the ones I've done have been with unbranded corks.
ITB
Nolan Ellis

Greg Smith

#12 Post by Greg Smith » November 4th, 2015, 5:55 pm

But why would the most recent COLA registry (label approval) by Cameron Hughes (9/15/15) list Harlan Estate Winery? Those more familiar with COLA than myself might provide more insight.

Rick Price

#13 Post by Rick Price » November 4th, 2015, 6:22 pm

Could the dates of the vintages be a clue (through 2011, but not 2012, meaning the winery was sold in 2012)? Araujo matches that description; how many others would fit?

AlexO
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by AlexO » November 4th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Rick Price wrote:Could the dates of the vintages be a clue (through 2011, but not 2012, meaning the winery was sold in 2012)? Araujo matches that description; how many others would fit?
Pillar Rock Perhaps?
_________
@lex Offutt

2016 WOTY - '13 MacDonald (The total package and monster in the making!)

Carlton McCrindle
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Carlton McCrindle » November 4th, 2015, 6:40 pm

Nolan E wrote:
DavidZ wrote:If the bottles were sold to CH as "shiners", wouldn't the cork give away the producer?
I haven't been involved in tons of shiner bottlings, but the ones I've done have been with unbranded corks.
A reviewer on the CH website noted that between the "design" on the cork and Cam's notes, he believes he knows who produced the wine.

Nolan E

#16 Post by Nolan E » November 4th, 2015, 6:41 pm

AlexO wrote:
Rick Price wrote:Could the dates of the vintages be a clue (through 2011, but not 2012, meaning the winery was sold in 2012)? Araujo matches that description; how many others would fit?
Pillar Rock Perhaps?
If they're shiners, it's the wrong shaped bottle (assuming they didn't change bottle shape just to bottle shiners).
ITB
Nolan Ellis

david.heath

#17 Post by david.heath » November 4th, 2015, 6:45 pm

Greg Smith wrote:But why would the most recent COLA registry (label approval) by Cameron Hughes (9/15/15) list Harlan Estate Winery? Those more familiar with COLA than myself might provide more insight.
I'm not that familiar with COLA, but Harlan does handle the Napa Valley Reserve wines and many (all?) of them are registered on COLA by Harlan. Napa Valley Reserve wines have appeared on flash sites before near that price range ($80 or so).

Rick Price

#18 Post by Rick Price » November 4th, 2015, 6:54 pm

Pillar Rock is a good guess, but it won't work because the land was sold, but not the winery or the brand -- with the CH wine it's the reverse.

The clues here are:

- Vintages from 2006-2011
- The winery changed hands between two individuals, i.e. the purchaser was not a corporation
- Normal pricing of the wine (presumably full retail) is $200-$250/bottle
- Vineyards in Oakville, Rutherford, Yountville, and St. Helena
- One of the "most iconoclastic" cult producers
- Produced in 100% French oak (interestingly this part seems to have disappeared from the CH website, although it's still on line elsewhere -- I thought this was pretty common though)
- "Production overseen by the world's foremost wine consultant"

It's like one of the Garagiste mystery wines, except more promising...

Greg Smith

#19 Post by Greg Smith » November 4th, 2015, 7:05 pm

david.heath wrote:
Greg Smith wrote:But why would the most recent COLA registry (label approval) by Cameron Hughes (9/15/15) list Harlan Estate Winery? Those more familiar with COLA than myself might provide more insight.
I'm not that familiar with COLA, but Harlan does handle the Napa Valley Reserve wines and many (all?) of them are registered on COLA by Harlan. Napa Valley Reserve wines have appeared on flash sites before near that price range ($80 or so).
Napa Valley Reserve could be a good guess.

Dennis Kanagie

#20 Post by Dennis Kanagie » November 4th, 2015, 7:06 pm

Purple Drankin' Cretin

Andrew Breskin
Contributor
Contributor

#21 Post by Andrew Breskin » November 4th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Why not Bond? They have those plots all over the place

Nolan E

#22 Post by Nolan E » November 4th, 2015, 7:23 pm

As far as I know, Bond hasn't been sold.
ITB
Nolan Ellis

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#23 Post by Todd F r e n c h » November 4th, 2015, 7:28 pm

I'll post pics of the corks once we open them, but that's not for almost a couple weeks yet...someone else might get to open them sooner
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by brigcampbell » November 4th, 2015, 7:31 pm

We're the worst! I'm bummed I can't make this but traveling 10 straight days for work.

I really like blind tasting and this is shaping up to be a real treat.

Please make everyone that attends hang a score! champagne.gif
Todd F r e n c h wrote:Cameron sent me a pack of this vertical to try with some Berserkers, and we're scheduled to do the tasting on the 16th. Won't help those of you who plan to purchase it, though, sorry, but that's the soonest I could get an OC gang together, as apparently no weekends are available...ever.

I know nothing more about them other than the 'cult' story shown on the website, but we'll be posting notes after the tasting. I'm told I will need to open them for quite a few hours, or double decant them.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#25 Post by Todd F r e n c h » November 4th, 2015, 7:33 pm

brigcampbell wrote:We're the worst! I'm bummed I can't make this but traveling 10 straight days for work.

Todd F r e n c h wrote:Cameron sent me a pack of this vertical to try with some Berserkers, and we're scheduled to do the tasting on the 16th. Won't help those of you who plan to purchase it, though, sorry, but that's the soonest I could get an OC gang together, as apparently no weekends are available...ever.

With you not coming, who the hell is going to write down notes???

Sorry folks, no notes with no Brig.

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by brigcampbell » November 4th, 2015, 7:33 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:I'll post pics of the corks once we open them, but that's not for almost a couple weeks yet...someone else might get to open them sooner
Cut the foil and put a flashlight on the neck!

ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by ykwon » November 4th, 2015, 7:40 pm

Carlton McCrindle wrote:
Nolan E wrote:
A reviewer on the CH website noted that between the "design" on the cork and Cam's notes, he believes he knows who produced the wine.
Paging Jacob from Palo Alto. Speak up if you are a member of WB ;)
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by CJ Beazley » November 5th, 2015, 4:26 am

Rick Price wrote:Pillar Rock is a good guess, but it won't work because the land was sold, but not the winery or the brand -- with the CH wine it's the reverse.

The clues here are:

- The winery changed hands between two individuals, i.e. the purchaser was not a corporation
- Produced in 100% French oak (interestingly this part seems to have disappeared from the CH website, although it's still on line elsewhere -- I thought this was pretty common though)

If not for the price I would say Mayacamas, kind of a stretch to call it a "cult" but they are in business to sell wine.
It's C(raig)

Ian Dorin
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#29 Post by Ian Dorin » November 5th, 2015, 5:03 am

Gemstone?
ITB, Amanti Vino

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” -WC Fields

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by mike pobega » November 5th, 2015, 5:31 am

I just purchased this plus 4 other vineyard designates. I am wrapping CLONYC 48 around it. Seats filled in 6 hours. Tentative December 16th. Should be fun.

Steve Nordhoff
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#31 Post by Steve Nordhoff » November 5th, 2015, 7:19 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
brigcampbell wrote:We're the worst! I'm bummed I can't make this but traveling 10 straight days for work.

With you not coming, who the hell is going to write down notes???

Sorry folks, no notes with no Brig.
I will post some notes
ITB -Riverain Vineyards

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Kris Patten » November 5th, 2015, 7:49 pm

CJ Beazley wrote:
Rick Price wrote:Pillar Rock is a good guess, but it won't work because the land was sold, but not the winery or the brand -- with the CH wine it's the reverse.

The clues here are:

If not for the price I would say Mayacamas, kind of a stretch to call it a "cult" but they are in business to sell wine.
Mayacamas is a pretty poor guess, they are in Mt. Veeder to start and never sell for $200-250.

Can't sort out why everyone ignores the OP and the COLA that it comes from Harlan....which Harlan project would be the question. I'd bet Napa Valley Reserve is a solid guess.
ITB

Kyle Schlachter

#33 Post by Kyle Schlachter » November 5th, 2015, 9:00 pm

There is second COLA up with Lot 2012 listed as fanciful name. Yes, the vertical pack COLA was done by Harlan (Lot 2006). None of the changes on the label/wine through Lot 2011 necessitate a new COLA so presumably they all were labeled by Harlan. Most likely a different brand Harlan purchased and wanted to clear out old wine not associated with their future plan. Since this all happened "quietly" I doubt many people know about which other wine was involved. NVR and Mascot (maybe Maiden) are decent guesses. Harlan does also source fruit so "estate" could also mean any long-term contract vineyard and not Harlan or Bond fruit. Seems rather sloppy they put Harlan on CH COLA if they used him for his discretion. Either I'm sure Cameron has been following this thread with a big smile on his face...
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Kris Patten » November 5th, 2015, 9:21 pm

Kyle,

Why insinuate that a winery can hide selling finished alcohol to another entity.....do you think it's legal to sell it anonymously? The government tracks every transaction for tax purposes.
ITB

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Alan Eden » November 5th, 2015, 10:26 pm

Whats COLA please
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Dennis Kanagie

#36 Post by Dennis Kanagie » November 6th, 2015, 4:30 am

Alan Eden wrote:Whats COLA please
coke-peps-hed-2013.jpg
coke-peps-hed-2013.jpg (30.51 KiB) Viewed 5929 times
Purple Drankin' Cretin

Kevin Porter

#37 Post by Kevin Porter » November 6th, 2015, 4:55 am

Not positive myself, but quick google got this - http://www.ttb.gov/labeling/colas.shtml

M A T T H A R T L E Y

#38 Post by M A T T H A R T L E Y » November 6th, 2015, 5:22 am

Napa valley reserve or perhaps Ladera Lone Canyom shiners..

Walt Hoehler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Walt Hoehler » November 6th, 2015, 5:38 am

The guessing game is certainly entertaining, but think for a minute. The deeper this board digs, the more difficult (marginally) it will be for Cam to come up with these (and other) cherries. The disincentives grow for the next winery looking to move juice.

Let it go and enjoy the wine. We'll all be better off. Sorta like Fight Club and B*rn's. [cheers.gif]

Kyle Schlachter

#40 Post by Kyle Schlachter » November 6th, 2015, 7:58 am

Kris Patten wrote:Kyle,

Why insinuate that a winery can hide selling finished alcohol to another entity.....do you think it's legal to sell it anonymously? The government tracks every transaction for tax purposes.
Yes, wineries do it all the time!! Apart from knowing Harlan applied for the COLA and the juice is at least 75% from Napa Valley we know nothing else about wine for a FACT. We can trust CH, but that still does not necessarily mean the wine was produced by Harlan (or any of its subsidiary wineries). The team at Harlan knows how to get rid of excess wine without the public knowing that it is selling for 1/10 the price in a different label. Ttb does not track where grapes or bulk wine comes from, but wineries are required to keep records in case of an audit. I can't speak to CA law, but volume and appellation are the things tracked so excise tax and COLAs can be verified.
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

Kyle Schlachter

#41 Post by Kyle Schlachter » November 6th, 2015, 8:01 am

COLAs are Certificate Of Label Approval. TTB needs to approve that the alcohol and appellation on labels are accurate and that there is no lewd text or graphics. Also to be sure fonts are correct size and government warning is on (and spelled correctly)!
Colorado Wine Press
@COWinePress

ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by ykwon » November 6th, 2015, 8:54 am

Been tracking this thread. No closer to making a purchasing decision. lol
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

Corey N.

#43 Post by Corey N. » November 6th, 2015, 9:00 am

Certificate of Label Approval ( COLA)
http://www.ttb.gov/labeling/
Nøv¡¢k

David McMillen

#44 Post by David McMillen » November 6th, 2015, 9:01 am

I took a flyer on it.

ericleehall

#45 Post by ericleehall » November 6th, 2015, 10:59 am

COLAs (Certificates of Label Approval) from the Federal TTB...

I'm pretty sure that when a winery/distributor et al buys shiners, the bottling winery must get the label approval, on behalf of the new products owners.

I am excited to hear how this tastes....
All for the Love of Pinot!

keithevans

#46 Post by keithevans » November 6th, 2015, 5:03 pm

PM if you want to know what this stuff is.

Dave H.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Dave H. » November 7th, 2015, 6:32 pm

D@v1dZ

#48 Post by D@v1dZ » November 7th, 2015, 6:59 pm

If Heimoff thinks they are overripe, then NASA probably can use them to send men to Mars.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#49 Post by Todd F r e n c h » November 8th, 2015, 6:06 am

Dave H. wrote:First reviews I've seen of these.
http://www.steveheimoff.com/index.php/2 ... -vertical/
I wonder with the cult labels on them if these would have the same notes/scores

Corey N.

#50 Post by Corey N. » November 8th, 2015, 6:15 am

DavidZ wrote:If Heimoff thinks they are overripe, then NASA probably can use them to send men to Mars.
The alcohol levels alone were a no go for me.
Nøv¡¢k

Return to “Wine Talk”