Storing other things in wine cellar

I was wondering what people think.

I store unopened olive oil in there, cheese wheels, and flavored oils I’ve made, as well as various weird things like milk liquor (Milk and Booze! How To Make Sweet Milk Liqueur | Kitchn). I never really had any concerns about those things.

What about pickling or fermenting? Specifically, I was wondering about sour kraut. I like the cool temps during fermentation, but should I be worried about that being in the wine cellar? I don’t think it would have any effect. Any thoughts?

I once put pizza dough I was fermenting and it exploded all over some labels of pycm charmes/perrieres mags. tears.

This of course is a wine cabinet not a wine cellar.

Olive oil, opened or unopened. Chocolate. Fermenting things (kimchee, sriracha, etc). Vinegar (I buy some in quarts or half gallons). Pu-ehr tea, which comes in a large came, which I divide and vacuum seal. Coffee beans in warmer weather.
More specifically to your question, it works great for fermenting, as long as you guard amply against the possibility of spills and overflows.

Currently my cellar also holds our supply of pint and quart jars of homemade tomato soup, BBQ sauce, Marionberry jam, applesauce, and the allowed legal limit for a certain kind of flower that is now 100% legal in the state of Oregon. [tease.gif]

About 3 weeks ago my cellar was the site of hang drying and curing that particular flower, of which several plants grew (legally) in my back yard… so something tells me I have the best ancillary cellar use of all WB users. I would love to hear something better! neener

I’d post a pic but not sure if that would be well received here on the forum. It was a beautiful sight to behold. And in relation to the security thread, said cellar is protected by a keyed lock and deadbolt. [cheers.gif]

Guanciale

This is the time of year when I lose most of my wine cellar floor space to my wife’s flower bulbs: California doesn’t get cool enough to activate them, so they rest in my cellar for awhile before we plant them.

I store aged tea in the cellar. Wheels of tea that are meant to be aged 5-20 years just like wine…does that count?

Ever go into a cellar or cave in Europe? One that isn’t part of a huge chateau made for tourists? They didn’t dig those things into the hills because they read some internet blog that said wine should be stored in a cool, dark place, they dug those things to store stuff that they didn’t want to spoil and wine happened to be one thing that held up better in the cellar than out in the sun. And since they didn’t have electricity, they didn’t have lights, so the places were dark by default unless someone came in with a candle or torch. So they stored and still store lots of things in there, including hams, sausages, cheeses, fermenting vegetables like cabbage, grain to be ground into flour as needed, root vegetables, etc. It’s good for chocolate too, but make sure you wrap that stuff well because it picks up flavors.

I hang ducks, geese, pheasant. Grow mushrooms, brew beer. Store cheese, chocolate, mushrooms, olive oil. And from time to time, the cellar is overflow for cakes, fruit, squash, etc, until I can clean out the fridge to make room. I like a warmer ferment on my kimchee and hot sauces but I’d be reluctant if only for the smell.

olive oil. chocolate. cheese. cured meats.

Remember putting a wheel of Reblochon in my previous’ house cellar for 4 -5 days before a dinner party when my wife said the fridge was just too stinky. Even with the cooling unit running and exchanging air, it took quite a while for the smell to dissipate.
I wouldn’t put anything fragrant in a passive cellar with little air-flow, unless I had no choice.

Funny! I have this exact one in my wine cellar right now!

Winter squash and olive oil.

What? You guys have room in your cellar for other things? I went down there yesterday during half time to enter some data into CT and the only place I had to rest my laptop was on three boxes piled up on the floor.

Best one yet. +10000

Since I only have wine cabinets that are always full to overflowing, I have no room for anything else.

I wish it were Spanish hams and olive oil. My wife views the cellar as another closet. It’s a constant battle against abandoned lamps, forgotten artwork and other home decor items. Crazy making!

Chocolate and oils/vinegars

Sodas and beer - plus extra wine glasses for when we host tastings - and then we bring the dog down there to cool down after he’s been playing with an extended session of fetch. He overheated once, and the vet charged $150 to put him in a cold room. 10 minutes on the floor and he’s stopped panting entirely, and he loves it own there. Plus I get to open up something to monitor the process.