Is good wine wasted if we have too much

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine

Which of the following apply

Screw it, I only live once and im going to go balls to the wall
13%
Who cares, wine is wine
9%
I buy the wine to drink, so ill just drink it whenever it feels right, drunk or sober
48%
I would never open a prized bottle in less than perfect settings and when im sober
29%

Total votes: 75

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1 Post by Alan Eden » October 30th, 2015, 8:06 am

OK

We all at some time imbibe a little to much, my question is when this happens do regret opening your 1982 Lafite during the fantastic night of fun ? In the heat of the moment you really really enjoyed the wine and had a blast with the party/dinner/BBQ etc and went to bed with a drunken grin with no care in the world but at the same token next morning you realize that you opened a prized bottle and did not wine geek it anywhere near enough, you just drank it
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Joey Cuccaro

#2 Post by Joey Cuccaro » October 30th, 2015, 8:15 am

I think I would only open a prized bottle for a very special event and with people who would appreciate the wine. It would have to be when I'm sober as well so I can really appreciate the wine for that it and take the time to taste it properly.

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 30th, 2015, 8:16 am

The words "too much" and "did not ... anywhere near enough" tend to answer your own question, I think.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Ian Sutton

#4 Post by Ian Sutton » October 30th, 2015, 8:21 am

One sign of a good wine is one where it is easy to get to the bottom of the bottle. I don't like the deification of wine, so finishing the bottle is no crime. I do worry that the Coravin etc will provoke a generation to have a miserly approach to drinking, where a bottle is eked out over months - and perhaps not shared amongst good friends.

That said, if you're already drunk and reach for the 1st growth / Grand Cru then you're less likely to notice it, which is a waste of money when a $20-30 bottle of wine would have served the same purpose.
Normal for Norfolk

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Alan Eden » October 30th, 2015, 8:28 am

That's the point Ian, I agree that you reach a point that in technical tasting terms you could not separate a $30 from a $300 but emotionally you enjoy the hell out of the $300 just because your getting pissed and having a good time.

Do you in the morning though feel really guilty about drinking that expensive wine ?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Markus S

#6 Post by Markus S » October 30th, 2015, 8:37 am

Wine is "wasted" whenever you pull the cork, yet when you pull the cork on a corked bottle, you feel like the schumuck. Cork: damned either way.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Ian Sutton

#7 Post by Ian Sutton » October 30th, 2015, 8:47 am

Alan
After a couple of experiences of opening more interesting wines (more like $75 wines rather than $300), now when it gets to the end of the evening, it's time for safe modest wines, not delicate or complex ones. I wouldn't feel guilty, but I would feel a little stupid.

I'm reminded of a friend who used to run a wine shop where they had regular tastings and a tradition of often writing TN's directly onto a substantial long old table. One year when doing the stocktake, one of the pricier wines was missing. They looked everywhere but couldn't see it. Just as they gave up looking and were assuming it had been stolen, one of them looked down at the table in front of him, to see the TN for the wine in slightly wobbly hand-writing - the wine having presumably been pulled off the shelf in a drunken moment & drunk as a bonus wine at the tasting.
Normal for Norfolk

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Alan Eden » October 30th, 2015, 8:52 am

Getting drunk in a wine shop would be very dangerous !!!

I do agree that normally I would open to good bottle early then have some $15-30 wines to back fill as things got rowdier but occasionally you just cut loose. The thing driving this is that I just started my vacation for a week and its the Breeders cup today so we will be drinking this afternoon but then having a nice dinner tonight so is it a waste to open a Saxum with dinner when your already way over DUI levels, of course if I take it then once time comes it will be opened as any reservations will be long since washed away !!

Dusty Gillson

#9 Post by Dusty Gillson » October 30th, 2015, 8:59 am

I am trying to get better about this sort of thing happening (the late night bottle pop after your teeth are well purple). Part of the problem is that the tasting crowd that I call my own cannot sync schedules very often, so when we do we always go overboard. The last such tasting (it looks formal, but it isn't) that I set up looked something like this:

Chardonnay and Pinot Tasting Flights – 19 September 2015

Amuse Bouche

NV Jean Milan Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Brut, Champagne, France

Chardonnay Maturity Flight

1988 Kalin Cellars Chardonnay Cuvee LD, Sonoma County, California
1990 Trefethen Chardonnay, Napa Valley, California
2005 Brewer-Clifton Sweeney Canyon Vineyard, Sta. Rita Hills, California
2006 Konggsgard Chardonnay, Napa Valley, California
2007 Conn Valley Vineyards Estate Chardonnay, Napa Valley, California

Old World v. New World Chardonnays

2002 Domaine de la Vougerie Le Clos Blanc de Vougeot 1er (monopole), Burgundy, France
2009 Louis Latour Chablis 1er La Chanfleure, Burgundy, France
2011 Louis Jadot Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Les Callierets, Burgundy, France
2013 Ceritas Peter Martin Ray Vineyard, Santa Cruz Mountains, California
2013 Liquid Farm White Hill, Sta. Rita Hills, California

Oregon (Shea) v. California (Bearwallow) Single Vineyard Pinot Noir Showdown

2000 Raptor Ridge Shea Vineyard, Yamhill-Carlton District, Oregon
2005 Ken Wright Cellars Shea Vineyard, Yamhill-Carlton District, Oregon
2011 Rhys Bearwallow Vineyard, Anderson Valley, California
2012 Rhys Bearwallow Vineyard, Anderson Valley, California

Old to Young Domestic Pinot Flight

1994 Hitching Post (Hartley Ostini) Sanford & Benedict Vineyard, Santa Ynez Valley, California
2009 Les Cousins, Willamette Valley, Oregon
2012 Domaine de la Cote Santa Rita Hills, Santa Barbara County, California
2012 Evening Land Seven springs Vineyard, Eola-Amity Hills, Oregon

Red Burgundy North to South

1988 Phillippe LeClerc Gevery-Chambertin Combe aux Moines 1er, Burgundy, France
1999 Vincent Girardin Bonne-Mares Grand Cru, Chambolle-Musigny, Burgundy, France
2003 Dominique Laurent Charmes-Chambertin Veilles Vignes dans les Mazoyeres, Burgundy, France
2006 Bouchard Pere et Fils Beaune Clos de la Mousse 1er (monopole), Burgundy, France
2005 Domaine Coste-Caumartin Pommard Les Clos Des Boucherettes, Burgundy, France

These didn't include the bottles that people brought on the side, and there were ~18 of us. By the time we got to the last couple, I'm sure we didn't enjoy the wines as much as was justified (but damn the 88' Leclerc was awesome). At least with the pre-planned tastings like this, you know to pace yourself.
Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever. - Aristophanes

Dennis Kanagie

#10 Post by Dennis Kanagie » October 30th, 2015, 9:04 am

Last edited by Dennis Kanagie on October 30th, 2015, 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purple Drankin' Cretin

Bruce Leiser_owitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Bruce Leiser_owitz » October 30th, 2015, 9:05 am

When I've hosted wine dinners at my place, I sometimes suggest to people that they not open the 2nd/3rd bottle they brought, esp. when we already have so much wine open that isn't going to be finished that night. It isn't that a bottle is going to be "wasted," it's that I don't want my guests wasted......

Bruce
"Bruce you are correct."--Andrew Kaufman, 3/24/13.

Markus S

#12 Post by Markus S » October 30th, 2015, 9:34 am

Dennis Kanagie wrote:.
You? Speechless? [wow.gif]
<heh heh>
$ _ € ® e . k @

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Anton D » October 30th, 2015, 9:40 am

A wine appreciated is never a wine wasted.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Dennis Kanagie

#14 Post by Dennis Kanagie » October 30th, 2015, 9:43 am

Markus S wrote:
Dennis Kanagie wrote:.
You? Speechless? [wow.gif]
<heh heh>
[rofl.gif]

Nah, I was going to tell Alan he missed an option or two but thought better of it since no matter how I worded it he might take it the wrong way.
Purple Drankin' Cretin

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Chris Seiber » October 30th, 2015, 9:49 am

Ian Sutton wrote:One sign of a good wine is one where it is easy to get to the bottom of the bottle. I don't like the deification of wine, so finishing the bottle is no crime. I do worry that the Coravin etc will provoke a generation to have a miserly approach to drinking, where a bottle is eked out over months - and perhaps not shared amongst good friends.
I respectfully disagree that this is a real risk. For one, Coravin is never going to be widely purchased and used by enough wine lovers to move the needle (no pun intended).

Second, there is nothing about using Coravin that is inherently anti-sharing. It's just as likely to facilitate sharing as it is to prevent it: maybe you're more likely to pour your friend a glass of Screaming Eagle at a time you wouldn't have chosen to kill the whole bottle, or maybe you and your friend try a small glass each of three vintages of Screaming Eagle together for a vintage comparison. And if you don't want to share your Screaming Eagle with anyone, you can just as easily drink it yourself without Coravin, spread over an evening, spread over two nights, whatever.

I think being generous or miserly is about the person, not about the technology.

Sorry for the thread drift, and I apologize if that comes off as soapboxy.

I don't really know how to answer Alan's poll, but to speak to the issue, I really only regret opening "caught up in the moment" bottles when they are special wines and doing so really kept them from being enjoyed properly. Less because people were too drunk or fatigued, but more because you make an impulse grab and that prevents the wine from having the air, temperature, food or whatever to show well.

But being the wine geek that I am, I usually plan out what wines we're having when people come over, including what to have on hand for late evening extra bottle revelry. And those late evening extra bottles are usually ones suited to that situation -- bigger style wines that taste good late evening and on their own, good but not rarities or special occasion wines. Things like zins, Rhones, big styled Napa, etc.

Ian Sutton

#16 Post by Ian Sutton » October 30th, 2015, 9:54 am

Chris
No offence taken. I don't own one, so can't speak from personal experience.
Regards
Ian
Normal for Norfolk

Joel W

#17 Post by Joel W » October 30th, 2015, 10:04 am

During 4th of July festivities at my house a few years ago, my guests and I definitely over-imbibed.

very late at night, I went to the cellar and pulled out a prized magnum, ready to pop it and drink it with everyone... A good friend of mine stopped me as I came from the cellar (before the guests saw me) and said. "Hey, why don't you put that back and pop it another time? We can have that at Mastros some time.. but now isn't the best circumstance."

I paused, and replied, "Dude... good save!" I pulled a much less expensive bottle instead.

The next day, with my head bumping, I appreciated his voice of reason much more than I did even at that moment"
J W.e.1.t.y
Calm Down...

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Chris Seiber » October 30th, 2015, 10:35 am

Ian Sutton wrote:Chris
No offence taken. I don't own one, so can't speak from personal experience.
Regards
Ian
I don't either, so I'm also just speculating on how it affects your habits. I like the idea of Coravin, but with overcrowded storage and challenges keeping up with record keeping, the last thing I need is a bunch of partially full bottles left in the racks.

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Doug Schulman » October 30th, 2015, 11:35 am

I like the option for never opening a prized bottle when sober.

CoryA

#20 Post by CoryA » October 30th, 2015, 12:22 pm

Joel W wrote:During 4th of July festivities at my house a few years ago, my guests and I definitely over-imbibed.

very late at night, I went to the cellar and pulled out a prized magnum, ready to pop it and drink it with everyone... A good friend of mine stopped me as I came from the cellar (before the guests saw me) and said. "Hey, why don't you put that back and pop it another time? We can have that at Mastros some time.. but now isn't the best circumstance."

I paused, and replied, "Dude... good save!" I pulled a much less expensive bottle instead.

The next day, with my head bumping, I appreciated his voice of reason much more than I did even at that moment"
Now that's a good friend!
A n d e r s

Mark B

#21 Post by Mark B » October 30th, 2015, 1:05 pm

Great question, Alan. "Good wine" and "too much" are relative terms dependent upon the individual in question. Personally, I will always choose to drink down in price and perceived/actual rarity/scarcity as my consumption increases.
M@rk "Drinx" Boldizs@r

AnnetteH

#22 Post by AnnetteH » October 30th, 2015, 2:03 pm

I just had this type of situation. We don't really have "those" bottles of wine as we are new to this but we do have a nice selection of ports we've been saving. Last Sunday we had a small gathering for my daughter's birthday and decided to end the evening with a glass of port. My son and his roommate(who is like another son to us) had come up for the dinner and were spending the night. (The son's roommate had called me earlier to ask if he could stay the night as he had an appointment nearby in the morning). Neither of them had ever really had port and seemed interested. We had just finished up a bottle of our standby stuff and had to go down to the cellar and get a new bottle. Hubby decided it was a good time to open the good stuff, what the heck were we waiting for anyway? So we shared the bottle and had a blast. So lesson learned, I'm going to start opening more of my saved bottles and enjoy them now!

Annette
Annette H0lbrook

JPWilley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by JPWilley » October 30th, 2015, 2:31 pm

A couple of years ago , I came home from a business trip and went down to the basement to discover that my better half had consumed a bottle that I had really been looking forward to. So I started the "dot system". She can open anything that doesn't have a dot on it. A few months later, we had a party and I popped something that my palate was way too shot to truly enjoy. So we expanded the dot system to two dots. 2 dots means I'm not allowed to open it if I have a measurable BAC.
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (16.97 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
Skewing old
Joe

Chuck Anderson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Chuck Anderson » October 30th, 2015, 4:37 pm

So you drop $300 on a prime seat for a favorite band/theater/playoff game. You get plastered beforehand at the bar next door to the event space, stumble to your seat, fall asleep ten minutes into the performance/game, wake up afterwards feeling improbably refreshed. I guess your story is that you emotionally enjoyed the hell out of the $300 just because you got pissed and had a good time... and a good nap?

I guess if the enjoyment you might take in more fully appreciating the bottle isn't substantially greater than how much you enjoy being blitzed, well, there's no significant opportunity cost to account for. But then the regrettable event wasn't consuming the trophy bottle, it was buying it - there's no reason to spend so much.

Ian Sutton

#25 Post by Ian Sutton » October 30th, 2015, 4:54 pm

AnnetteH wrote:I just had this type of situation. We don't really have "those" bottles of wine as we are new to this but we do have a nice selection of ports we've been saving. Last Sunday we had a small gathering for my daughter's birthday and decided to end the evening with a glass of port. My son and his roommate(who is like another son to us) had come up for the dinner and were spending the night. (The son's roommate had called me earlier to ask if he could stay the night as he had an appointment nearby in the morning). Neither of them had ever really had port and seemed interested. We had just finished up a bottle of our standby stuff and had to go down to the cellar and get a new bottle. Hubby decided it was a good time to open the good stuff, what the heck were we waiting for anyway? So we shared the bottle and had a blast. So lesson learned, I'm going to start opening more of my saved bottles and enjoy them now!

Annette
Hi Annette
I reckon Port is an exception to the rule. It certainly has the impact to be noticed at the end of an evening, but also forces a necessary slowing down in drinking pace - as you can't carry on slurping it down (well you can, but Port hangovers can be extreme).

FWIW I still prefer port at the end of a sit down meal, having fun with the tradition of passing the decanter to the left, and if it lingers too long in front of someone, they are referred to as the Bishop of Norwich (presumably one of them was known for hogging the port?). This for me, makes it a more social drink.

regards
Ian
Normal for Norfolk

Richard Albert

#26 Post by Richard Albert » October 30th, 2015, 7:25 pm

Definition of a good time--getting seriously high and opening a 1971 DRC Richebourg mag, or a 1974 Heitz Martha's mag and turning it into expensive piss and which cannot be remembered on either end of the journey.
Hey, but you own it and can do whatever...right(and duh)?
ITB

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Alan Eden » October 30th, 2015, 10:08 pm

Richard

Do we buy wine to taste or to drink ?

Is ie better to taste a wine in ideal circumstances or to enjoy during a memorable night with friends even if you dont geek the wine ?

My vote is to enjoy with friends, otherwise what is the point ?

Alan

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Anton D » October 30th, 2015, 10:18 pm

Richard Albert wrote:Definition of a good time--getting seriously high and opening a 1971 DRC Richebourg mag, or a 1974 Heitz Martha's mag and turning it into expensive piss and which cannot be remembered on either end of the journey.
Hey, but you own it and can do whatever...right(and duh)?
If you can't remember it, then how do you know you didn't enjoy the Hell out of it?

Life is a carnival.

We are all responsible for the price of our own piss.

In fact....What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Rick.T

#29 Post by Rick.T » October 30th, 2015, 11:25 pm

Interesting thread. IMO there is no right or wrong, it's up to the individual who's pulling the bottles.

I prefer to open my best bottle first and then drink down from there if I'm drinking with non wine geeks. When I attend wine functions with close friends who appreciate wine I like to bring nice bottles as I'm not worried about money. For wine dinners, tastings or special ocassions like birthdays, Christmas, and NYE, which are spent with family, I'll open pretty much any bottle I own. But, there are a few specific bottles I save to drink by myself.
T~@~n**d~y

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Kirk.Grant » October 31st, 2015, 6:34 am

I like the idea of having a few bottles set aside for a gathering in case I want to open more. I am a very happy person when I've had too much good wine. So it's not uncommon for me to run down to the cellar for more. With a good plan I have 1-2 bottles set aside just in case.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Dennis Kanagie

#31 Post by Dennis Kanagie » November 4th, 2015, 6:29 am

Joel W wrote:During 4th of July festivities at my house a few years ago, my guests and I definitely over-imbibed.

I have the solution to this problem - and I think I'm going to cross post it in the "How secure is your cellar door" thread.

Install a breathalyzer as your cellar door lock "combination". Just like they do on car ignitions! Voila!!!! No more dumb mistakes when your decision making is impaired.
Purple Drankin' Cretin

Tim Burnett

#32 Post by Tim Burnett » November 4th, 2015, 6:36 am

Anton D wrote:A wine appreciated is never a wine wasted.
I am a big believer in opening wine that is at some level better than the occasion in the hope of elevating the occasion if only a bit.

OTOH, I have been at a number of social wine occasions where so much wine got opened that a lot did not get finished and, worse, it was difficult to enjoy the full lineup even if normal social graces are ignored. Outside of fearing that one morning I will wake up to a guillotine outside, these "hedonistic" events seem to miss the point.
Tim
'16 WOTY-02 Turley Hayne Zin

Ryan M

#33 Post by Ryan M » November 4th, 2015, 7:16 am

I don't feel like there's enough distinction between the second and third options, and neither actually represents a truly 'moderate' option, so I will abstain from voting.

I never allow myself to get fully drunk, comfortably tipsy sometimes sure, but frankly, I don't really enjoy being tipsy, and I see it as distraction from fully enjoying the experience. Frankly, I generally run into palate fatigue before I would be having too much, and I will cut myself off at that point because I'm well into "diminishing returns." I drink wine to enjoy and to contemplate, and going too far interferes with that. I won't say that pulling out an outstanding bottle late in the lineup is a wasted experience, but if I'm fortunate enough to be drinking 1st Growth Bdx or the like, I'd rather take my time with it.

So on the balance, yes, I think going too far is going too far. ;)
R y a n M a d e r a k

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Mark Y » November 4th, 2015, 1:23 pm

Mostly 3 - it's wine. I buy it to drink and share with people. A bit of 4 - super prized bottles I still would share but wouldn't drink at the end of a long night.
Y.e.

B i l l Z h a n g

#35 Post by B i l l Z h a n g » November 4th, 2015, 1:27 pm

It comes down to money, quantity, and company. If you only have four Lafites and, in drunken splendor with less than ideal people, decide to open a bottle, then you'll have some regret, as OP experienced.

If you have plenty of champagne and open an excellent bottle with people you cherish, then that's another story. I'd go balls to the walls with people I enjoy being around. If it's anything less, I'm not opening my prized wines for them. Why should I? You're essentially treating them to the cash equivalent of ten serious dinners.

Return to “Wine Talk”