Are you smarter than a somm? 20 question quiz

20 minute quiz

Took less than five minutes. Got one wrong. Didn’t know that Italian wine.

(Edited to remove spoiler. Whoops.)

17, but I cheated with Greg’s post!

15/20. German questions threw me and I took it in 2 minutes.

18/20.

Didn’t know that MO had first U.S. AVA (apologies for spoiler).

19/20 and I’m usually useless at these. It was pretty easy though I thought.

17/20

Trick question of the AVA, and messed up on the Gironde and Greg’s one (no, I didn’t look at his answer first)

Only 17 :frowning:

Took about 2 minutes.

14/20. I passed! And I suck. :wink:

17/20, even tho I stupidly missed a few at the start (tho some others were sheer luck). Actually, MO had a large wine production before prohibition, and it’s been picking up lately. But last time I tried some they weren’t very good.

19/20, messed up on the Gironde, but have heard enough about the historic acclaim of MO Cynthiana (aka Norton) to get that one.

16/20. I don’t know much about wine compared to others on this board, but it’s hard to believe that a Somm would score lower than me.

18/20. Got the two American AVA questions wrong. I know nothing about wine from TX or MO…

19/20… but benefitted from the 1st post…

it must have more than 20 questions… I did not have any questions on US AVA’s…

18/20 as well. The Santorini grape question tripped me up. Took it again to see what the other question that I got wrong was and some of the questions did change.

1. Didn’t keep track, but couldn’t have taken more than 2-3 minutes.

Also screwed up the Italian Chardonnay nonsense and Gironde question, as well as vendange/veraison.

Having looked at the latter’s definitions and blushed a bit, I would claim that I hit the wrong button, but frankly I had no idea what either was save that they were wine words.

I only got ten, so I took it again and changed all my answers…but still only got a 10.

champagne.gif

I got 18, but I would think a somm would be wasting time on some of those questions.

Would he or she care about who founded biodynamics, when the Spanish DOC rules went into effect, whether Texas or Arizona has the most southerly wineries, or whether one body of water is an estuary or a river? (None of those should be spoilers.)

I missed Rioja Alta vs. Negro and the one about Vinho Verde DOC.

18/20

Looks like not everyone gets the same questions.

I took it again, got 3 new questions. I still didn’t get anything about TX or AZ wines.

Some of that stuff is pretty, er, niche.

Yeah, it’s basically a gimmick, not a serious test…