TN: Value wines under $25

VALUE WINES UNDER $25 - Lou’s (10/28/2015)

Last night, my tasting group got together to search for value in the wine world. While hoping, we were not expecting to be blown away, but we were looking for daily drinkers, wine to order at restaurants, and just something good and interesting that would not break the bank. It turned out, we did pretty well. No dogs. Nothing not worth drinking. There were no restrictions on the wines (in fact we all brought reds), but we were supposed to bring something we knew that we liked and was good. The wines were served blind over three hours. Breads and cheeses were available.
A white starter.

• 2014 Elk Cove Vineyards Pinot Gris - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
    Always a favorite of Lou’s and with good reason. There is a value here. Silvery gold in color. The nose has a slightly lychee note. Fresh. Also a slight green apple note. Slightly oily texture. On the palate, there is some green apple with tea tree on the finish. Nice acidity. Around $20. (89 pts.)

The Red flight:

• 2009 Château Thieuley - France, Bordeaux
    Nice to revisit this one. I had a bunch of these on release and while I think it may be fading, it is still drinking well. The group liked it much more than I did. Purple/ruby in color. The nose has xmas spice and dark cherries. On the palate, tart cherries and spice. Very smooth. No tannins. Not drinking old, but the oak seems to be outlasting the fruit. Still, it has a few more years left. Pretty impressive for a $13 Bordeaux. (87 pts.)
  • 2011 Château de Beaucastel Côtes du Rhône Coudoulet de Beaucastel - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône
    A new label on this wine. Ruby/purple in color. The nose is tight at first. With air it shows sandalwood, lavender and some raspberries. Medium bodied. On the palate, black cherries. A streak of acidity. Slight tannins. Probably not as long an ager as this can be in great vintages, but drinking well right now. $25 (89 pts.)
  • 2010 Château La Fleur Morange Mathilde - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion
    I drank a lot of these in 2009, but it never made my radar in 2010. Too bad, it should have. I thought, blind, this was for sure California (Cab or Zin) and was surprised to see this. The overwhelming WOTN for myself and the group. Inky purple in color. The nose has black raspberries, blueberries, cedar and dark chocolate. On the palate, this is juicy with just the slightest funk to it. Medium tannins. Long finish. This is apparently 100% Merlot. I think I heard about $20. (91 pts.)
  • 2011 John Robert Eppler (JRE) Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley, Diamond Mountain
    I think Chris said, this was heavily discounted to $20. Purple/ruby in color. The nose has cassis and pencil lead. I was thinking this was Bordeaux. On the palate, black raspberries. Slightly bitter on the finish. Medium bodied. Nice wine at under $25. I don’t recall having this producer before. Wonder how they did in better vintages. The groups #2 WOTN. (89 pts.)
  • 2012 Churchill/Graham Douro Churchill’s Estates - Portugal, Douro
    Purple in color. Slightly flat. On the nose, dried meats, boysenberries and slight coffee grounds. Slightly thin texture. Good acidity. Raspberry fruit on the palate. Around $20. It was the group’s last place wine, but I don’t think anyone trashed it. At under $18, there is some value here too. (88 pts.)
  • 2014 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Old Vine - USA, California
    This just came, so I added it. $21 delivered. Always a great QPR. Perhaps some rest would have helped it, but there it is. Purple in color. The nose was very tight. With air, it showed kirsch along with some black pepper. On the palate, very nice texture. Black raspberries. There was some alcohol/heat on the palate. Blind, I was thinking more of an Aussie Shiraz. Still, aside from the heat on the finish, I liked this very much and it was my #2. The group had it middle of the pack. (90 pts.)
  • 2012 Celler Cal Pla Priorat Black Slate Porrera - Spain, Catalunya, Priorat
    Another wine that is a perennial value. Purple/ruby in color. The nose has a slight earthy funk to go with some red raspberries and some charred wood. On the palate, more black cherry fruit with some anise, especially on the finish. Medium bodied. Good acidity. A hint of alcohol on the palate. Around $17. (90 pts.)
  • 2013 Cellers Can Blau Montsant Blau - Spain, Catalunya, Tarragona, Montsant
    Ruby/purple. The nose is dusty black raspberries with slight vanilla notes. On the palate, tart acidity. Red apples and raspberries. Medium bodied. Was helped by cheese and bread more than most wines on the table. Around $15. (89 pts.)

And a dessert wine:

• NV Penfolds Club Tawny - Australia, South Australia
    This had been decanted for 24 hours. Ruby with some purple in color. The nose has caramel, toffee and slight black raspberries. Sweet on the palate but not cloying. It has a freshness that is very nice. Smooth and easy to drink. At under $15, this is a nice finish to the evening. (88 pts.)

A nice evening and easy on the wallet. Next month - 2012 CdP.
Posted from CellarTracker

Mathilde is a consistently good bottle of wine for $20. Not sure why I don’t get more of it.