Handbook for a good Wineberserker

I would love to get the ball rolling and initiate a handbook for ‘Good Wineberserker Forum Participation’. Not because I feel I have good skills myself, because mine can suck but because the only way I see this place thriving and self-sustaining is the ‘stepping-up good and dropping of bad’ habits many have all fallen in to. I know many wonderfully ‘knowledged’ folk who avoid participating because of the levels of rudeness, aggression and downright nastiness that some seem to contribute here. I would like to take this moment and say let’s stop it all now, as a group of adults, it’s the least we owe ourselves and one-another. Let us take the time and add here and now a list of do’s and don’ts. I want to say this last thing: if you have more than 500 posts and do not participate in this thread you show zero goodwill. Not that that’s a bad thing, but for the sake of the betterment of the board in general, I beg you to make yourself heard. One post per person for the first four pages is all I ask. If it fails, so be it but if it succeeds, think of the better times ahead where we can all learn from one-another and help newbies find themselves. I see one once in a while place a toe in seeking help, let’s be helpful and patient if we can. Collectively we probably have one of the world’s greatest databases of knowledge, what we choose to do with it is up to us. I have made many friends here and am grateful for it all. I have met interesting people and enjoyed many great wines and it’s all due to this board. I am not about to throw my towel in just yet.
As I hurdle over 9800 posts I have really reflected on my time and how could it be better used and if it’s not here, then elsewhere, even if that elsewhere is searching EBAY for cool watches and old books.
I will start.

1)I firmly believe that tasting notes are the cornerstone of this and any forum. We are not a board that looks forward to any one entity, no Parker Laube etc., so let’s explore all the democratic and critical wine this place has to offer. Take notes away and all we have is chatter. Some may fee apprehensive about adding a note here due to the lack of note-making skills. I say BS. Write down what you find and share it. 6 words? No problem. Nobody will fault you for it, or at least should not fault you for it. Be fair and honest and sleep comfortably. I do. I would love to see a ten-fold growth in notes myself. Gets people involved with the board, you’re either on the board or in it. Be in it. Come out of the shadows and be heard.

2)If you have nothing good to say, don’t say anything. Mom taught me that young and it still holds true right alongside the ‘golden rule’. I try to live by both but being human I fall short from time to time, ok hourly, but I am willing to look inward :slight_smile: . Can you?

Cheers!

Anyone that’s willing to read my meager notes is ok by me. The thing I like best here on Wine Berserkers is the give and take that goes on in many threads. 99% of the time it’s informative. I’ll deal with the 1% because that’s part of the online mentality. I know, because that’s what I’ve dealt with all these many years on Flyertalk. There’s always 1 or 2 guys, yes guys, that don’t get it.

Maintain a sense of humor about this thing of ours, it is wine and is meant to be enjoyed and better with great company.

Make a habit of reading and replying to tasting notes. Talking about the actual wines is pretty much what got this all started years and years ago, so let’s not forget that.

If a newbie, or anyone for that matter, asks for help don’t be a lazy ass and tell them to use the search function. They can figure that out when they become comfortable with the site. Welcome them by being more helpful.

Once they are regulars you can tell them there’s a search function for that all you want. [stirthepothal.gif]

Offering opinions is fine, remember there is a person on the end of the other side of the screen.

Also, opinions are just that. There are precious few “right answers” in wine.

Be wine scholars, instead of snobs. Old world vs. New world need to respect each others taste as wine tasting is subjective. Look to help, joke and add value istead of criticizing. My $.02

Be nice.

I’ve been seeing a dwindling of tasting notes, from myself included. Usually I would clump my notes together as it is easier than to post one at a time, but maybe I should do that more often. I wish people would be willing to interact more off-site, and perhaps it’s busy schedules, families, and all that, but it would be nice to be able to step out of one’s comfort zone once in awhile.

Mike, great sentiment. This is one of the best communities I’ve discovered in nearly 25 years of digital activity. So I’ll offer:

Post on obscure wines. The breadth of discussion is one of the best things here.

If you feel the need to write a snarky, obnoxious, rude or combative post, go ahead. Just don’t hit the submit button. Instead email it to yourself, laugh at your all too human weakness and hit delete.

Ignore the offensive. There will always be jerks in large public forums. Just ignore the flame bait people/threads/posts. It’s really easy to do, and it’s the simplest way to stay sane and be a positive member of a positive community. If people leave because of jerks then communities of good will cease to exist.

If George Carlin were a member of this board he’d simplify things:

Post often.

Don’t be a dick.

this^

2)If you have nothing good to say, don’t say anything. Mom taught me that young and it still holds true right alongside the ‘golden rule’. I try to live by both but being human I fall short from time to time, ok hourly, but I am willing to look inward > :slight_smile: > . Can you?

Ummmm, what?

About people, sure.

About wines? really? You think people shouldn’t post bad tasting notes?

About people. point No 2.
Nope, I did not say that, just honest tasting notes. Post them bad, good or indifferent.

Golden rule works for me.

Shoot Tom Hill numerous PM’s and let him know just how grateful you are for all that he has done to further your understanding of the history and wonders of California wine :slight_smile:

One that’s hard for me to remember: Conversations are about sharing knowledge and impressions, not scoring points.

Michael

Until it’s time not to be nice.

Then go to PM! [cheers.gif]

For those who have been around a while, I will just say that it’s nice to see us “talking about talking about wine.” :wink: