TN: 2005 Clos de l'Oratoire des Papes - Châteauneuf-du-Pape (France, S. Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape)

2005 Clos de l’Oratoire des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (10/5/2015)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over approx. 3 hours –
– 80% Grenache, 10% Syrah, 5% Mourvedre, 5% Cinsault –

NOSE: red-fruited — ripe; gently spicy; hint of garrigue.

BODY: violet-garnet color of medium to medium-deep depth; medium-full bodied

TASTE: still some bitter medium-fine tannins hanging around; ripe/sweet Grenache flavor, with a hint of bitter flowers; strawberry jam; hint of alcohol taste; not funky; no brett; tannins softened over the course of three hours; solid, but not exciting; still pretty primary, but this is obviously starting to relax and loosen up; no tertiary flavors yet; Drink or Hold.

50, 5, 12, 15, 7 = (89 pts.)

This has got maybe the most ugly label in the whole Rhone valley … [shock.gif]

However, the wines were for a long time quite mediocre … since it has been purchased by a major negociant app. in 2000 the wine seemes to be slightly better, but is arely really profound, quite commercial …
but I´ve not tasted many vintages (and not 2005) …

I enjoyed this wine immensely in its youth (8 years ago), but my preferences have changed since then, and I have to believe the wine has changed, too. I wouldn’t exactly recommend this wine to anybody, but I think I paid less than $25 for it back in the day, and I find that to be acceptable. As solid of a QPR as it may be, I don’t see myself buying it again.

2005 Clos de l’Oratoire des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (1/31/2020)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 2 - 3 hours –

NOSE: “dark”; strong cigar note; hint of red berry jam.

BODY: medium-full bodied; dark, rust-garnet color of great depth — shows just a little age on the color.

TASTE: strong raisin flavor; “dark”; still tannic; long finish, with flavors of raisins and black licorice ; alc. pokes-through a bit; probably best to Drink Now and over the next few years. Somewhat surprised at how well this showed, considering this is a grocery store wine: I did buy and cellar from release. It is a big wine, but it’s not terribly overblown like many CdPs. Gut impression score: high 80’s, maybe 90.

The few vintages of this I’ve tried have left me underwhelmed. I think Gallo (or someone comparable) distributes it so it can indeed be found in some supermarkets.