What to expect at Berns

Im planning a trip to Tampa for a football game with the secondary benefit of Berns

Ive heard all the stories but im curious what to expect and how to approach

Is it just a huge list or do you give the somm a stlye age budget etc and let him do the picking ?

Any advice appreciated

The First Rule about Berns is that you don’t talk about Berns.

This.

And this.

What to expect at Berns…

Lots of red velvet…

A great wine list with some incredible bargains on older wines…

Ask the Sommelier for some suggestions for wines in your sweet spot…

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the unique experience…

call first and discuss wines/budget in advance.

Food pretty good–duck confit outstanding.

Dessert offers options like amazing old Madeiras in a private booth.

Enjoying the comments here, headed there next Friday!

No Saxum. Don’t bother.

Find out who will be the somm the nite you’ll be there. Leave a message indicating the regions you’re interested in for reds and whites and that you’re more interested in wines in their sweet spot for drinking than in labels and expect to be blown away. I asked for a northern Rhone and got a 64 Côte Rotie from a producer I’d never heard of but was the essence of what a mature Cote Rotie could be. Wine was not on the wine list and was $65. The Somms have lots of wines like this to regail those who will appreciate them with. Don’t try to choose wines yourself unless there is something you have to have. Do that at the bar with the 200+ wines by the glass before you’re seated.

If you’re a steak lover, get the dry aged chateaubriand. The Delmonico and filet mignon are great too. Pinot Noir reduction and Gorgonzola fondue are nice sides with their steaks. The white truffle mac & cheese really needs to be named something else because simply calling it “mac & cheese” does it an injustice. Even the freakin’ baked potatoes are killer.

Wine? Bring smelling salts and have your wife administer them when you swoon and pass out over the list. When you come to, you’ll pass out again or think you’ve died and went to heaven when the somm tells you they “found” a case of something you’d love.

Damn, any Booker ?

There must be a 50 - 100 threads on Berns. Search function will give you more answers than you can handle.

EDIT: My bad. I exaggerated. There is actually only 38 threads with “Bern” in the title. pileon

Too bad this is in a part of the country I wouldn’t think of going to.

Tampa/St. Pete?

Wow, some of the most gorgeous beaches that you will ever see in this Country. Powder white sand, clear water with a pretty greenish hue, placid, warm waters.

Bern’s is in a pretty cool old neighborhood right on the water with a gorgeous esplanade. I go there quite a bit and like it lots.

That’s funny!

You may laugh, but “we” are not necessarily the normal Bern’s customer. It never ceases to amazes me when I go there that most of the tables are drinking Cali cabs, mostly new releases. Was just there a couple months ago, and one table had a magnum of 2012 Caymus and another table had a newer Jordan.

Well, maybe true, but when it comes to travel, I really never think of traveling to Florida. I might make the exception to pay a visit to you if I ever go to the Everglades.

If you’re ever in that neck of the woods, the Dali museum in St. Petersburg is well worth the trip. The sheer magnitude of his masterworks will leave you breathless. Plus, the museum also houses its fair share of Picasso’s.
image.jpg

I asked the Somm once what was the most popular wine and he said they sell more Caymus by far then any other wine. My memory is fuzzy now but I remember being shocked at how many bottles of Caymus were sold every week.

On the wine side, there are fewer bargains than ever. Our usual strategy is to talk to the somm, give him a budget and some regions, and let him select. Ask if there’s some stuff that’s not on the list. We’ve never been disappointed or over budget. Want to try a $25 Cotes du Rhone Village from the early 80’s? We did and it was great for what it was. Inglenook charbono from the 70’s also a real bargain. I’m a porterhouse guy but the “Special” Chateaubriand is incredible (they don’t always have it). Carpaccio and tartare are excellent. DO NOT MISS THE BANANAS FOSTER.

Some suggestions having been to Bern’s many times (I’m a local):

1. If you are looking for a truly special wine, call one of the Somms in advance. Let them know what you are looking for and the price range. They will come up with amazing selections. I recently had a 1947 Haut Bailly this way, and it was wonderful.

2. Never fear asking the Somm for anything that is not on the menu that might be of interest. I was served a 1961 Pavie from half bottle this way.

3. The Bar is fun, I’ve eaten there solo many times. It’s a very convivial, loud, fun space. Your can order from the full menu, wine and food. The bartenders are quite knowledgeable. And best of all, they have many very mature wines on the “by the glass” list. Last time I was there they had open a Cornas from the early '70s at $7.50 per glass, a 1970s Mondavi Zin for less than $10, and a 1987 Napa Cab - can’t even remember the winery but it was an established one - that was smokin and was only $15 or so by the glass. I would be happy having a dinner just off that “by the glass” list.

4. Bordeaux is King at Bern’s. The depth of the Bordeaux list is staggering. Lots of half bottles, too. If you are going for something like a mature Cornas, or a Chinon, the list is far more limiting. I’ve heard that the Burgundy list has been picked through, but I’m do not have personal knowledge their.

5. The dessert room is overrated IMHO. The desserts are stylistically from the 1980s and many do no pair well at all with their staggering depth of vintage Madieras, Ports and Sauternes. I cannot stand bananas foster and do not know what you pair it with (scotch to kill the grossly sweet taste? :wink:) The space is also cramped and odd to me. If I go, it’s for a mature Madiera or Sauterne, skip the dessert, then leave. I usually just skip the whole experience.

6. The kitchen and wine cellar tour is a must for your first time there.

7. The Chateaubriand is a must. That’s the winner.

8. Stay at Bern’s hotel right across the street. Epicurean. Lets you crawl back to bed, no cars or driving.

No way!
I love the dessert room. An essential part of the night.
Your own little space pod-like nook with a personal jukebox and a mind-boggling assortment of scotch, bourbon, etc…
As weird and wonderful as everything else at Bern’s
I do agree on skipping the sweet desserts…just not the experience.