TN: 2010 Fattoria di Fèlsina Berardenga Chianti Classico Riserva

• 2010 Fattoria di Fèlsina Berardenga Chianti Classico Riserva - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG (10/20/2015)
    Fantastico! Big step up from the reg….this is dark and really smooooth….creamy black cherry, plum, blackberry fruit….really great dryness to the ripe fruit…dusty woods, graphite powder, cherry/menthol spice……very complex and inviting…drinks well right out of the gate….damp forest, fresh herbs, dried blood orange/roses/cherry……licorice….bella florals galore!! SO SO good…especially for the $! (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Shhh shhh my QPR of the year.

Has anyone tried the base Chianti Classico? Is there any compelling reason to buy both given the small price difference?

This wine is no secret here. One of the very few wines I’ve bought more than 3 btls of. Remarkably, its still on the shelves at a great price.

Liked this one so much I did a rare (for me) case buy and a magnum.

It inspires that sort of buying. I still have a hard time not grabbing more when I see it on the shelf, even though, I have plenty.

I suggest a 7AM decant for a 7PM readiness and even an overnight cork pull would help. This is a mighty wine on PNP.

Great wine to a great price.

Thanks for the note, Brian; I’ve tried one from a six pack I bought and drank it over three evenings. It was nice on night 1 but really, really nice on nights 2 and 3, which is exactly as I’d hoped.

Another qpr champ to look for is the 2012 Il Poggione Rosso di Montalcino; not hard to find at around $20 and worth twice the price, IMO.

How do the 2010 and 2011 Riserva compare?

There really is no comparison between the Classico and the Riserva, and not much of a jump in price.

Yes, I had them side by side, and I’m only buying/drinking the Riserva.

By the way, the 2010 Fontalloro is amazing.

yeah, the regular 2010 classico was not that impressive. I felt it needed alot more time.

Last night we had a delicious bottle of the 2001 base CC. Still very youthful color with wonderful depth and some preserved fruit notes just beginning to emerge. Tannins nicely resolved (a big clump left in bottle after we carefully decanted). Still many years to go and such a bargain at the original price.

I bought both the 2010 Felsina CCs and CCRs, but have tucked them all away til at least 2020.

How does the Riserva compare with the Rancia? (Either this vintage or just as a general matter.)

In the past, I’ve felt like the Rancia is riper, more generous, more concentrated, and more structured of the two. But I haven’t opened any of my 2010 Rancia.

This.

Thanks for the note. I recently bought a case of this for a ridiculously low price from Vinopolis in Portland. Waiting for my next pasta dinner to open a bottle. When that happens, I will add a tasting note.

We just had the 2010 Riserva a few nights ago and it’s pretty special for the price. I also appreciate that it’s generally available at local grocers when we need a quick Chianti fix.

(On a side note, I just found and bought 6 of the 2010 Rancia for the absurd price of $26.99 at Seattle Wine Co. in Bellevue. I even asked if the price was incorrect after mentioning that the Riserva is priced at this point.)

Wow! thats a good price…I thought $37 from Wine Library was a great price?