TN: 2010 Novy Family Wines Syrah Rosella's Vineyard

• 2010 Novy Family Wines Syrah Rosella’s Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (10/20/2015)
    This wine may get better every time I taste it. Starts out with smoked meats, black and blue fruits and cracked pepper. Gets better and adds weight with time, but big flavors are kept in check by an amazing spine of acidity from start to finish.

Posted from CellarTracker

Any of the Rosella’s “grapefruit” profile?

I have picked it up other times I’ve had the wine and in other vintages, but not really tonight. [cheers.gif]

Honestly, as the vines have gotten older at Rosella’s I’ve seen less of that grapefruit character in all of the wines. What I’ve seen more of is a seamless texture that I think is pretty remarkable.

Adam Lee
Siduri and Novy

Adam,
Has the 2012 been released yet? I haven’t seen anything. [cheers.gif]

Say it ain’t so! How will I nail it at blind tastings?

We actually didn’t bottle a 2012. I liked it, but didn’t love it. The 2013 is bottled and it is tight. Most of our 2013 Syrahs really tightened up after bottling. The 2013 Susan’s is coming out of that first and we have released it…the others we are tasting and waiting on.

Adam Lee
Siduri & Novy

One of my favorite syrah vineyards in all of CA. If the grapefruit starts to fade out, Adam, that will be bummer but your comment about the vineyard maturing and exhibiting a new quality is intriguing to me. Where do you foresee the 2013 landing in terms of quality/success laid against the past several vintages you have made?

Bob, thanks for the note. I’ve got one left and the last time I opened one was about a year and a half back. When you drank your bottle above, did you see any of the aromatic sequence that I found in my last bottle?

• 2010 Novy Family Wines Syrah Rosella’s Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (3/21/2014)
    This has a good mix of new and old world elements. A distinct funky note, saddle/barnyard too, that gives it an old world sense. Then, the darker fruit, yet nicely balanced with good acid and a roasted quality. I suspect the wine will change overnight as this impression is merely after twisting off the top about 45 mins ago…with one day of slox ox, the aromatics now express graphite. The palate has fattened up a bit more and the funky note has evolved to something more bloody, red and black fruited, tight, finishing with a good dose of acid and black licorice. god, this wine is all over the place in flavor and expression! One more glass for Day 3, tomorrow.

Franklin Delano Murray,
My wife opened and decanted for me while I traveled home from work, so it was open for at least an hour. I got no funk to start but the usual smoky dark fruit notes I see in a lot of the Novy Syrah’s. As always with air it takes on weight but the acid never leaves. I agree from sip to sip the wine changes, a real pleasure to drink. [cheers.gif]

Currently it is more backward and more tannic than previous releases. I think it is all there, just not giving up a lot after bottling.

Adam Lee
Siduri Wines

An update to my thread a few years ago, and opened tonight in the spirit of support of the area. As some may know, Adam’s winery (Siduri/Novy) is in the area being hit by the fire and while I cannot be there to help, I can show some solidarity and drink something made by a guy who I greatly respect, and someone who has done a lot for the business and been a part of the SR area for a long time. Hang in there, Adam and Diana.

• 2010 Novy Family Wines Syrah Rosella’s Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (10/11/2017)
    About 3.5 years since the previous bottle, and for the bottle I twisted the top on tonight, this is my final 2010 in the cellar. I feel like I am losing a friend, as I really appreciate this vineyard and Adam’s craft with it over the years. Open now about 2 hours. As to the wine, listed ABV of 13.8%. Interestingly, the same barnyard note from 2013’s TN, that essence is here again. It’s faint but it caught my attention right away when I tasted the wine, and I recalled it from the note back in 2013, so it’s fair to say it’s a confirmed impression. I also recall Adam using some stems in the wine (I think), and some of that seems to still influence the aromatic, along with a bloody note. The palate tastes of rosemary/herb, dark fruit, tar, iron and brewed coffee. It closes with tarry, red fruited licorice note and medium plus weight. There is still intensity here, but the wine as a whole is really starting to soften. It’s a mix of plush texture, yet some remaining grip in the finish. In total, distinctive and lightly savory. My sense is that the wine is at peak, balancing the plush fruit and remaining energy well, and with age, you’ll lose that balance and the wine will fade. Get after it now and enjoy what’s here, which is quite nice.

I posted a note on this wine on another board. No grapefruit in two days of looking! Sort of disappointing. I got an overwhelming sense of smoked meats from the wine. It is ready to drink; didn’t think it would be.

I think it was my Berserker wine from a few years back, but the '09 vintage was my WOTY back in '15. I sure liked it a lot. [cheers.gif]

Is Adam still making a Rosella’s?

FMIII
Thanks for the note, I am currently in Milan but when I return I will open one of my last two bottles and post a note and hope that things get better for everyone in the area.

I get that grapefruit thing BIGTIME from Carlisle Syrahs, particularly SLH Syrahs.