Jean-Georges NYC Wine Recommendations? [Reporting back, with pics]

Hey Folks -

Taking my family to Jean-Georges in NYC this coming Saturday.

Assuming one white and one red, any recommendations on some fine selections that will pair well with the cuisine here? Pretty pricey wines so I need to have some semblance of reasonableness. Wife likes Riesling, Chenin Blanc, etc. I like old world reds but ok with white if that’s what pairs best.

Dinner menus looks fun.

Thanks all.

PS. Eating at Racines on Friday. Any recommendations on an old world red that is drinking great right now? Had the 2003 Baudry Franc de Pied last time I was there. Was thinking the '96 Joguet Clos de la Dioterie.

I was just at Jean-Georges for lunch today and yes, very pricey wine list. I had the 2012 Domaine Courtois “La Grange” Vinsobres which was excellant. A blend of 60% grenache and 40% syrah.

Yikes! $130 for a 375ml of VT CdP? $126 for a Morgon Cote du Py?

With prices like that, I wish you luck.

Ha, Ian, it tastes better priced that way!

Hey, Osprey Tavern has the 2014 Clos de la Roilette, Fleurie, Beaujolais, for $38!! Nice wine, pairs well and fair pricing.

Racines has Gonon, which is maybe your cup of tea (I’ve never had one). Their somm was really good, BTW

Robert, the Jean-Marc Pillot Saint-Romain La Periere and Montagny Les Gouresses are really bright, clean, mineral white Burgundy (super with fish), and they are only marked up 3 x retail vs. 5 x plus for most other wines. Good luck and here’s to a great dinner. [cheers.gif]

Looks like I’ll miss you by a day, Robert. I’ll be there on Thursday.

Plenty of interesting items on their list. I’d skip the '96 Joguet as the '90s were a difficult time for the estate. Instead, if you want some Loire Cab Franc with some age on it, look at the Pierre Breton items from '95 and '96. Some nice choices there. Also, some of my favorites that are around that pricepointt are the '04 Trevallon, '01 Vieux Donjon, '04 Barral- Faugeres Valinieres, '01 Pibarnon Bandol. A little higher, check out some of the '94 Tempier Bandols.

Great recommendation, Martin. Thanks!
I was thinking White Burg but was lost with the list.

Now I just need an interesting red.

I’d go for the Thierry Germain Clos de l’Echelier 2013, even if it’s still very young. You’ll catch it in its fruit phase though. Great wine and priced decently (it’s 30 Euros ex domaine). Alternatively, 2009 Mas Jullien Terasses du Larzac, a great vintage for that wine.

Another option is to bring a bottle and pay the corkage as I did recently, which I believe was $75 although it could have been $85.

That’s a really good recommendation, I did not see it first time through. I really enjoyed the 2012 version and Germain’s Franc de Pied. I have the 2013s on order but have not tried them. At $125 on the wine list, that’s barely over 2x what I paid retail ($55). I found the 2012 really exhuberant on pop and pour with a nice spline of acidity. Could make an excellent pairing. As I may be ordering a very mature Loire red from Racine’s the night before, I’m ok going young here.

Tell me a little about the Mas Julian. I’ve not had this before.

I remember many years ago in the fall at Jean-Georges my first experience with fresh white truffles, nice memories. I want to remember drinking Vieux Telegraphe blanc but not sure at all.

Since most reds exceed my tolerance for markup, would the least expensive bottle on the list be inappropriate? I’ve never had Austrian Zweigelt but at 36 bucks they are practically giving it away :slight_smile:, maybe for good reason, but that would let you splurge on a white if you wanted. And my understanding is that it is normally food-friendly.

That’s an interesting point, Stan. I always emphasize wine over food, but perhaps at a place like this, it should be the other way around. Less focus on the wine, more on the food.

It’s a Rosenthal import. Here you go, Robert: Mas Jullien | Rosenthal Wine Merchant

had lunch there again last week and it was brilliant start to finish. riesling always pairs well with the dishes there, and i would leave it in the hands of their very capable somm’s (with a price cap of course)

Robert, I think I got it. The 2012 Monier St. Joseph. The last part of the name is mis-spelled; it’s Perreol. Go here: Domaine Monier | Our Wines | Kermit Lynch Wine Merchant. You will really like the wine. I know some don’t like the term, but it is northern Rhone syrah with “soul.” Kermit only has a tiny bit to sell each year.

I don’t know if this is your copy of tea, Robert,

But I had the Jacky Confuron-Cotetidot 1999 Nuits-Saint-Georges @ 159, when I was at Racines last month. It was really singing–in a very good place.

Won’t go back to Jean-Georges ever after horrible experience with snooty host (was with my 78 year old mother no less). Really evil.

I’d probably order the '14 Huet Vouvray and '11 Cristom PN…and focus on food as the picture and wine as the frame…which isn’t normal for me.

My one piece of advice for JG is to check the temperature of your cappucino before you sip…was served one much too hot the last time I was there, fried my mouth for a week.

Thanks all!

And Martin, you know I like the word “soul” in reference to these old school Northern Rhones!