What should I drink at Eleven Madison Park?

Wifey is taking me to EMP next week.

Any standout “deals” on the list? Whats the story with wine pairings? Will they do a more expensive/reserve tasting if I ask?

Looking to spend ~200 on wine.

Jesse- I’ve never been and it’s on my bucket list to get there. When I go i’m going to have the Somm drive. We went to Marea in NY about a year ago and the Somms did a great job with recos from the list paired with our dishes. We tried 3 different wines and probably spent about $150 or less on the wine.

I thought it really worked out better than getting 2 bottles or 2 halves…

Enjoy and post back what you do.

Cheers

Last time I was there (last July) I think I had a '98 or '99 Allemand for not too much more than your budget (probably mid-high $200s). I brought a Clos des Goisses to go along with it and was happy with that combo.

Only been once and I had a great time putting myself in the hands of the sommelier. Got by a lot cheaper, too.

Never mind… just checked the wine list and either my memory is bad or they went through stock and raised Allemand prices.

Yeah, I’d drink older Allemand at 200 all day.

Here’s the list:
https://www.binwise.com/print/WineList_PDF.aspx?ListId=210&LocationID=120

Thanks for the help everyone!

2010 Cappellano Pie Rupestris - $175
2012 Fourrier,Clos Solon - $135

Or bring a $135 wine and pay the corkage of $65.

They do two type of pairing, domestic wines at $155 and international wines at $225

Jesse - Great food, great place! You are going to love it!

I would trust the Somm…they’re working to make you happy.

I’d spend an extra $50 and go for the 2010 Chevillon Vaucrains at $250. Seeing the 2011 priced $290 and the 2012 going for $360 makes this all the more compelling.

I have always loved the pairing. I think.its worth the money though I usually bring a sqn on top of it because well, i like sqn
Though mind you they usually throw a beer or a cider in the pairing

2011 Domaine Roulot, Les Tillets $205

Fabulous wine, great price on a wine list, particularly this wine list.

Probably good stuff on their list, but we’ve done the BYO each time we’ve gone and and been happy but we like what we have in our cellar. They do have a thing where above a certain number of BYO corkage (3 maybe?) you also have to pay a somm fee in addition to the per bottle corkage.

I’d like to echo those who suggested BYO. Last year, I brought three outstanding wines to EMP to complement a fantastic meal - '04 Taittinger Comtes, '85 Haut Brion, '89 Pichon Lalande - and the wine service could not have been more attentive or professional. For the $195 in corkage, I was able to drink wines that matched some of the best food I’ve ever had. If there’s any excuse to raid the gems in your cellar, this would be it!

Bernard Boisson-Vadot, Les Chevalières 2012

I would BYO as I have in the past but I haven’t been in quite a while since they went all gimmicky and started the showmanship for the tourists. I can’t even remember when one of my local NYC food nutty friends have been and raved about it.

Something really simple off the list. It’s all about the food, and personally speaking - simple food = complex wine, and vice versa.

We did the suggested pairing when we visited a couple of years back. The selection were not super high end, but were thoughtfully done. As I recall there was at least one beer and maybe a cider in the mix, so the somms work with the full range of drinks available.

Normally we get a white burg and a glass of red when doing a tasting menu, but we were both pleased with the results of the somm pairings at EMP.

The German list is outstanding.

My wife and I just ate there Saturday night. I got the lower end pairing with a local beer/cider (from Transmitter Brewing). The som, don’t remember his name, was very good at explaining the various wines and how they pair with the dish. A lot of whites (obviously) and sparklers. They explain it beforehand as about one and half bottles, but it didn’t seem that much to me (although I didn’t finish each glass, but did get refills on others). If you finish your wine before the next course/pairing, they will typically add to your empty glass.
I thought it was a very good way to enjoy the food and enhance the experience through the various wine descriptions.
Either way, you’ll have a great time.
If you can, request the kitchen tour. We got a nice shaved ice desert (made in front of us) and they put you behind a table where you can see everyone working away.
Enjoy!
Tom

I disagree completely, Paul. It was a great dining experience, on par with most of the Michelin three star restaurants I’ve been to in Paris and elsewhere.