New wine deal site, Wine Kloud

Anyone seen the wine deal website called Wine Kloud? Full disclosure, I worked with the two founders when we all worked for the same distributor back in the day, but I have zero financial interest here and wouldn’t have posted if I honestly didn’t think the concept was interesting and beneficial to the wine community. Slightly different concept than something like winesearcher in that you don’t search for a specific wine, though you have that ability. Rather, they are a deal browsing site that apparently sources daily wine deals from over 1,000 retail stores and posts the deals that they’re offering in a constantly updated browser experience at the site. You don’t buy from Wine Kloud, you buy directly from the store offering the deal. It only went live a few weeks ago and they told me they’ll still be adding some features, but I think it’s a cool concept and has potential. I have played around on the site and have found some interesting items at solid discounts. Curious what you think.

Cheers,

Brad

I hate websites where I need to give them an email to do anything. I want to at least get an explanation of what they do and/or see an example before I give them an email address.

+1000

Even after you give them your email, it simply leads to a page that wants additional personal info, too. Now way to look around before committing.

I guess I will never even get a peak at what they are doing.

Brad! If you see the owners, tell them they need to add a “tour” page or a way for people to see what up without giving up their personal info.

It makes for a somewhat fishy experience, IMO.

Agreed about the providing info first. I have the same issue and dislike. Talk about customer response, though, my buddy said he’s taking down that requirement as we speak.

Still there as off 4:38 EST. If they were Premier Cru, they would be crucified by now.

Hey guys. I am one of the founders (and former Co-workers of Brad’s) who started Wine Kloud. Your comments regarding a required email sign up prior to learning more about us are totally valid. We’ve been live for about 3 weeks and that has been a consistent theme of feedback. To that end, we started redesigning the landing page last week to be much more informative and give you a good look at Wine Kloud prior to sign up. We aim to have that live in the near term.

We conceived WK with the consumer in mind. We’d never expect any of you to take our word for it as the far majority of you don’t know us from a hole in the wall (although some of you do), but we can assure you that we take everyone’s privacy as serious as possible. Emails are a requirement for you to utilize our wine and retailer notification feature and we would never, ever share your information with any person or entity. We’ll go on record with that. That is something we believe strongly in as we would not want our info shared either. And we won’t pepper you with unwanted marketing communication. We don’t believe in that either. Sometimes you forget that other people don’t know you as well as you know yourself.

We hope you guys take WK for a spin and give us a shout. It’s our aim to provide you guys and the rest of the wine drinking world with a service that they find useful and meaningful. In the meantime, please check out this link which will hopefully provide some insight: https://www.winekloud.com/how_it_works

Thanks everyone (and Brad)…

This thread (not the company) made me think of Lot 18. Just looked, it’s still around. Wow, who knew?

Just signed up. . . pretty cool interface, but gotta say that the search function is pretty hidden on the side. There isn’t a way to sort by region - ie. bordeaux, champagne, burgundy, etc. . . there just seems like there are pages after pages of wine without a good way to view them sorted. I’m sure they will work out the kinks in the future.

Lot 18’s deals are long gone. The stuff they have now is either retail price or stuff I’ve never heard of. They still send me a $15.00 off coupon almost every day.

Slickdeals for wine?

I’ve blacklisted the emails so I don’t get them anymore. Bliss.

I’m a bit curious as to how they plan on making money on this site since the customers don’t pay and the retailers don’t pay to get listed. Do the retailers pay for sales or are there ads on the site?

In curious as well although I doubt the owners will be that transparent with their monetization strategies?
Who knows! Can’t hurt to ask.

I like the picture on the landing page, but I am not giving up my email without a fight.

It looks like the primary product is a teaser with some low end deals. The higher end items seem to be reserved for premium membership which looks like it costs $25 per year.

I believe the model is that the highest percentage discounts and highest rated wines require the $25 annual membership. In poking around, I did see a bunch of pricey Burgs and California cabs/blends that didn’t require membership.

Let me make a suggestion Darian. If you let wine-searcher pull your inventory, and folks consistently see things they are interested in at competitive pricing, you might get them to sign up. Sommpicks was like that for me, as an example.

Hey guys. Just make up a new Yahoo email and use that. I’m ashamed at you amateurs. Mine are all chess puns. Tarraschtalker and Taltales.

Hi J. You are correct. we opted for a higher deal filter functionality vs a sort feature, the filter being that pop pout on the side of the screen you referenced. . The feature you are referring to of sorting by region is not in play as of now. That may make sense as an additional filter. Thanks for the constructive feedback. Super appreciated.