You may want to consider buying your 2013 Napa favorites soon

“Last month Robert Parker told Aaron that he thinks the 2013 vintage in Napa Valley is the equivalent to Bordeaux’s legendary 1982.” …

The quote struck me from the Pott Wine mailer yesterday. I believe WA releases their Napa 2013s reviews end of October. So about 2 weeks away. Regardless of your views on WA, Parker moves inventory and if scores are indeed very high, it may be tougher post report with the potential points barrage. That being said, away from mailers, it seems some of my standby’s are still not in the market yet.

Parker’s reviews for Napa Cabernet will be split in two this year with the first installment in Oct. and then Dec. I agree the scores will be high.

Scores will be high …and now so will prices. Direct correlation

Unfortunately, yes. That’s the model these days, like it or not. rolleyes

I get the feeling that Napa is already pretty expensive. I dont think the market will stand for big price increases with the exception of a few wines in high demand. If the prices are to high especially considering the large harvest then i think wineries could end up with a lot of inventory

Or low scores and high prices?
image.jpeg

Wine Spectator recently released scores and prices for 138 Napa Valley Cabernet’s (almost all 2012). First 70 scored 91 -96 points and average price was $133/bottle, not including the 6 or 7 Harlan/Bond wines which were labeled “$NA” but are, I believe, about $800/bottle.

Jody, but hasn’t Kapscandy been a wine that has scored extremely high the past few years? I don’t own it but this is what I recall.

Question, is a $25 91 point bottle the same quality as a $575 91 point bottle

Honestly, this has always driven me crazy and shows how the rating system is a joke. I believe that a 91 point wine should be given that score regardless of price but we all know that doesn’t happen that way.

Mathematically, they are identical.

If they are identical, therefore, they cannot be distinguished from one another.

Number theory teaches us that, in the world of wine, there are only 11 different “outstanding” wines.

So anyone buying the $575 wine is going to be really really pissed

I just find it hard to believe that the Kapcsandy really tastes like a entry level napa cab from a grocery store

It doesn’t and while I haven’t had the 12 yet I’ve had 07-10 and they are terrific wines. Parker gave the 12 a 100 and I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t give the 13 a 100 as well. I think JL has scored it around 94-95 in the past but here is some of the reason for the difference.

The Kap style is not nearly as full throttle as other top cult cabs. Parker regardless of what some think still appreciates a variety of styles and obviously really likes the wine. I think though the biggest difference is when he and AG taste there they taste at the winery and the winery gives the wine a lot of air prior to tasting. These wines demand 10-12 hour slow ox and then 1-2 hour decant if you want to catch them at their peak young. I believe JL tastes everything blind and they are opened about an hour before he tastes it. Big difference in how the wine is prepped before tasting and that you are not sitting with the vintner when you taste it.

I think JL and WS can attract new buyers so a high score or profile in WS is a good thing and will sell wine but I don’t believe JL significantly moves the market like Parker can. A 91 from WS is not concerning when it’s a Parker 100 if you care about selling the wine in the future( I don’t) AG scored it pretty high as well so I think Laube is the outlier.

Average prices on CT is $342 so most folks are paying a lot less on the mailing list.

I think in this day and age it is near impossible NOT to take the price into account when rating and yes, even for a ‘pro’.
In reading the Kapcsandy note and knowing who the author is I just know it’s based on a style thing and those who enjoy Kapcsandy will not be disappointed, but again, one must read the note. I say no, the 91 point $25 wine and the 91 point $575 Kapcsandy are of a different ilk.

I hope you realize that “points” aren’t the same as flavor profile, right? Regardless of price, two wines can have the
same point rating and taste completely different…

Bruce

That is true Frank, however Kapscandy is one of the very few producers who will adjust price downward on score. I think as noted in the related thread posted yesterday, Laube doesn’t move markets like Parker does (Parker scored this highly, so I guess Lou sees no reason to price down).

If your influence is in decline what is the easiest way to liven things up?

Start dropping point bombs all over the place and compare your swan song in Napa to the vintage that put you on the map.

Genius move for him.

fify [snort.gif]

I got an offer yesterday for 2012 Chappellet Pritchard Hill for $189.00, at that price I’m pretty iffy, how much could they possibly raise it for the 2013?

The Kap 2012 Grand Vin is an absolutely amazing bottle of wine and the real acquisition cost is around $300, so not cheap, but the quality at Kapcsandy has only peers and not many of them. The style is so refreshing compared to the cult cabs of California.