Whisperkool ceiling mount split vs wine guardian split?

Thoughts? Cellar will be approx 13.5 x 11.5 x 8, underground on north side of house. Condenser outside next to a/c. Oh and cellar under sun/living room.

Oh and contractor suggesting some sort of rigid polystyrene (?) over the studs in lieu of closed cell insulation, claiming it’s better because covering the boards and not just around it. Agree?

get a professional split system that is easily services by any reputable A/C tech, not a wine cooling system. Mine runs at 50-51 degrees and 60-65% humidity even when it is 105 here in CA. If humidity low, add a humidifier though what I did was put wet towels in cellar till humidity rose and it has never fallen since the cellar has such a good vapor barrier.

Like what?

I would have a refrigeration contractor install. One I have contacted says he does wine cellars all the time but he seems to be pushing whisperkool (not through the wall units - split systems) or vinotech (sp?).

I can’t find the name of the unit or installer I have had working for ten years. Will keep looking for the make/model for you. I used a refrigeration company since my requested 50 degree temp was lower than what A/C guys work with. It is like a mini house A/C with a unit outside on a concrete block.

I would recommend the wine guardian for your application. An in ceiling evaporator is just a service nightmare. Wine Guardian has fantastic support and parts availability particularly on the East Coast.

You can use XPS extruded polystyrene Closed cell (blue or pink stuff) on the inside of the room as your contractor would like to do but it will make the drywall and racking installation much more difficult. I wouldn’t be so concerned with the thermal bridging I’d be more concerned about getting an airtight room. Given the above room is a sunroom you will want a lot of insulation in the ceiling.

Thanks Chris - does it matter split vs ducted - i could do either i think - pros v. Cons?

Notes taken while on a call with the contractor:

Forego framing – buy 4x8 sheets of polyurethane foam – glue and screw right to masonry wall – caulk all joints and then place wall board on top of the sheets of foam. R-21 on walls – more about heat and moisture exchange – getting the barrier proper – also putting rigid insulation below concrete floor poured.

And here is his description of what my architect recommended:
frame walls, in-between framing and above ceiling, spray closed cell polyurethane insulation in between each stud bay

You will be using a split system with the condensing unit outside with either of your proposed options. The question is ducted vs. ductless. With ducted there is no equipment to see within the cellar but requires running ductwork and will be a more expensive install.

I think that is the best plan.

Chris, if I can stand the price, am I better off with the ducted? The inside portion would, I think, be in a mechanical closet nearby. I had rejected the in-ceiling split system in part because the ceiling of the cellar is directly underneath my new sun room, which will function as my primary “living” room. The mechanical closet isn’t that far away, however, and it’s more inside the house and therefore underneath the den. Am I as likely to hear it on the first floor when it’s running as I would be able to hear a split system that is not ducted and therefore puts the evaporator in the cellar?

A split ducted is the best solution if you have the space and will pay the premium.
It will be quieter and allows you to add humidification if required.