Classic Style Napa Cabs?

My palate is getting a bit tired of all these modern cabs. Are there any new wine makers making quality old school style napa cabs? Aside from the original gangsta’s like Montelena. Interested in food friendly Cabs balanced with acidity and freshness but still complex.

Phil, hey. So, try looking into Matthiasson. I just picked up two of them as I too don’t care for modern Napa Cab either.

And, for a little more data, you also have David’s recent TN inside this link.

Corison. Cathy’s not new but her wines are delicious and most certainly “classic-style.”

EMH black cat is a board favorite and would fit that description. I prefer it to corison but never had a side by side.

An old winery that just in the last few years starting making Cabernet that should be just what you are looking for is Stony Hill. Old winery but I think the first Cab vintage was 2007.

In no particular order:
Forman
Corison
Stony Hill
Frogs Leap
Mayacamas
Mondavi Reserve
Spottswoode
Ridge (I know its not in Napa)
Dominus

Smith Madrone

Thanks, sounds like my cup of tea so my wine merchant tracked down 6 for me locally. Can’t wait to try!

Check out Broman.

good list

Phil- lot’s of good suggestions in this thread and a good bit already mentioned here

I’ll 2nd Frank’s reco on Matthiasson and add Calluna( top of Chalk Hill) as right in the style your looking for. Great threads on some visits to Calluna on the board.

EMH, Seavey, Blankiet Prince of Hearts are all outstanding as well if not a touch closer to middle of the road then pure old school classic but would not come close to modern full bodied, highly concentrated, etc

cheers

Odette’s Adaptation and Mark Ryan’s Dead Horse were fairly tame compared to the “rock star hedonistic fruit bomb” bottles I’ve tried. They’re both blends and both in the $50 range. Might not be totally old school, but worth trying.

Killer. I loaded into my cellar 2 bottles of this the day before y/day. I appreciate David’s palate and the note came at the right time too, as I was contemplating an order. Be interested to see what you think of the wine, Phill, when you eventually taste it.

Matthaisson even makes great Merlot (Red Hen).

The ones that stand out to me as still being made in a “classic” style are freemark abbey and corison.

Corison
Smith Madrone - great price point too.

Great list but Mondavi has moved into the new school and while not super spoof, they’re no longer made in the same classic style they once were.

Heitz would be another one worth mentioning.

What happened to Boots Brounstein’s winery?

+1