Sub $30 white Burgundy

While predominantly a red wine drinker, l do enjoy an occasional white Burgundy. Spending as much as $150 (see other current Burgundy thread) would be financially irresponsible for me, and I assume many others. What would you suggest for decent white Burgundy with a $30 price cap. It should be easily sourced. And please, please provide full names, as I am often bewildered by the initials and abbreviations used on this forum. Grazie mille.

Would suggest the Macon wines from Domaine Lafon or Domaine Leflaive. Everything else which would money wise fit the bill as Bourgogne Blanc from Pierre Yves Colin Morey or Fourrier might not be widely available.

That’s a tough category. What immediately comes to mind is:

A&P de Villaine Bourgogne les Clos – perhaps not extraordinarily widely available but not too hard to find

Various Chablis AOC (e.g., Billaud-Simon, Fevre)

J.P. Brun Bourgogne Blanc (very tasty for $15 or so)

Can’t go wrong with this.
image.jpg

I was going to suggest the same thing as Mark. Droin’s Montmains is also excellent and should be available for that price.

Lafon’s Macon Villages is also good. Paul Pernot Bourgogne is good too.

I’d put Sauzet’s Bourgogne Blanc in this category too, though I think Pernot definitely outperforms, at least in the 12 and 13 vintages.

Quite a few Colin Morey (Santenay 1er, St Aubin vill, bourgogne and aligote).
Some st Aubin 1er cru from other Morey
Dauvissat (and others) Chablis
Chablis 1ers from many producers

Roulot Bourgogne Blanc as well as the Sauzet.

I’d look for 1er Chablis. Lots to choose from.

The white St.Aubins from Marc Colin are hard to beat:
I think he has 7 or 8 different 1er Crus … I like especially En Remilly, Clos du Meix and La Chatenière … all should be available for way beyond 30 (but I have no idea about US-retail …)

I recommend Dominique Lafon Bourgogne Blanc, which I paid $19.99 for.

Roulot BB is no longer sub $30.

Dauvissat Chablis is not $30 in the US. Closer to $50. Same with Roulot. Maybe if you know people, but the OP wants to know what he can actually find for $30. Marc Colin’s Saint Aubins are all in the $30s here.

Second tier producers’ Chablis 1er crus can be had for sub $30.

Paul Garaudet Bourogogne Blanc
Pascal Clement Bourgogne Blanc
Etienne Boileau Chablis
J-L & F Chavy Bourogogne Blanc

Paul Pernot has some decent wines you need to look at. Many of the wines mentioned above are in the $50+ range. Like others mentioned above, look for producers who are making wines from St. Aubin.

Montagny Premier Cru

Olivier Leflaive Bourgogne Blanc Les Setilles is about 20 bucks per

Alex Gambal and J.P. Fichet also make very nice bourgogne blancs in a steely, Puligny-esque style.

I have very little experience with white Burgundy, but recently went bonkers for a 2010 Jean-Claude Boisset Savigny-lès-Beaune. I bought it for around $21 on sale (regular price was $34) and I’ve seen other vintages for under $30.