Wines similar in style to Pegau

I’ve grown to really like the style of wine produced by Pegau. CDP bashing aside, which southern Rhone producers are making wine similar in style to Pegau?

I guess the answer to that question depends on which Pegau style you like; the brett or the non-brett.

Just buy more Pegau. Laurence will appreciate it.

Seriously, Pegau is such an individual and unique producer that it is very hard to suggest one that is really similar in style … and IF a traditional producer is close in quality THEN it´s even more expensive (e.g. Henri Bonneau) than Pegau.

Two producers I like very much and are at least in the same direction are Bois de Boursan (regular cuvee) and Domaine Ferrand - you might try a bottle, they are quite affordable.
Traditional but usually more rustic are Lucien Barrot and Eddie Feraud, but the overall quality is definitely not at the Pegau-level.
Vieux Donjon might be a good compromise, but they usually destem the grapes - and the texture is definitely quite different.

Reg. brett: Pegau´s style includes a certain amount of brett, but in a sound bottle usually on a low level that won´t be disturbing at all, sometimes even not noticable. IF the brett is really annoying and excessive something must have happened to the bottle during shipping or storage.
I have never had a bottle of Pegau here or at the domaine that was too high in brett (with one exception, but that one was brought from abroad by a friend…) - but if you don´t like brett at all … simply choose a different producer.

I have never had Bois de Boursan so I can’t comment on that one but I agree whole heartedly with the rest of his post.

Pegau really is Sui Generis, although some CdP’s from the 80’s approached it in funk and brett, but you asked about current bottles. Sad to say, Chateauneuf has cleaned up its act, eliminating many of its former “charms”.

While I agree that Pegau is “unique” in its own way i have had some variation in aromas/taste with numerous bottles. Some have shown Brett, funky earthy musky aromas, tobacco, herbs and even tomato juice. They def all showed the funk though.

I have had similar experiences with St. Cosme - chateauneuf du papes… most have been very traditional in style… tobacco… herbs and even brett. So i would def give one a try and they’re cheaper than Pegau (except for 2011 which were being sold for $39.99, cuvee reservee).

Another producer that brings the funk is Domaine du Gour de Chaule from Gigondas. Wines are vinified in a similar manner, 100% whole clusters and aged in old casks. Lots of funk earthy aromas… dry ass hell… havent found any brett in any yet i’ve opened… but a great QPR from the region.

anyways im a pegau fan and those two other producers are ones i find to be similar in that “rustic” kind of way…

hope it helps :slight_smile:

I’ll second Bois de Boursan.

You want to look for traditional styled wines from parcels more in the southern than in the northern part of the appellation. Eddie Feraud and Bois de Boursan are good suggestions. I would add Vieux Telegraphe.

I love Ferrand, but it is a Northerner, less animale, more floral (though in the CdP manner).

And Gerhard is finally right, really about all these wines. Each of them is its own beast. The only Pegau is Pegau, the only VT is VT, etc.

As others have said, Pegau is unique. Like you, I am a big fan of their CdP and nothing else really scratches that itch, but I have recently discovered two grenache based wines that I really enjoy. They are both made by the Reynaud family of Chateau Rayas fame, but are far more affordable. First, Domaine des Tours makes a VDP Vaucluse that is delicious. If you can find it, it runs about $30. The other is a cotes du rhone made under the name Chateau des Tours. It is in the $40 range and ages more like a CdP than cotes du rhone. Here is a link to a thread that discusses them. TN: 2010 Château des Tours Côtes du Rhône Reserve - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

I agree the Reynaud family wines are terrific, but they are very, very different than Pegau.

Yes, I did not mean to imply they were similar. Much more elegant and less powerful.

Cayron Gigondas.

David,
I agree completely about the wines of “Chateau des Tours” made by Emmanuel Reynaud of Rayas - great wines, I know them for almost 20 years, but the style is like day and night from Pegau … Grenache in a very Burgundian, cherry dominated style (like Rayas, the Vacqueyras even 100% Grenache), very elegant, nothing funky or bretty or chewy - the only think in common with Pegau: they are also “traditional” and high class - but otherwise totally different.
Highly recommended, but not as a Pegau-substitute …

Gerhard,

You are right. My intent was to share a southern Rhone wine that i recently discovered that was also mainly grenache. No doubt they are dramatically different stylistically. The des Tours wines are really impressive, but hard to find in the US. I’m not trying to hijack the thread, but Any suggestions for des Tours substitute?

Not really - as difficult as a substitute for Rayas. [scratch.gif]

15 years ago I would have said: Domaine Gramenon (Ceps Centenaire), but Phillipe Laurent died tragically then.
Nothing tasted after 2000.

Glad to hear Bois de Boursan is hitting other people’s radar. I’ve been scrambling to pick up bottles whenever possible. I especially like the cuvee Felix .

Some other great suggestions here. Thx.

I’ll fourth Bois de Boursan.

Not really sure why Rayas family wines came up here. I love them, but that have nothing in common with Pegau. Well, I guess they both don’t destem, but that’s about it. I’ve had a single bottle of late 2000’s gramenon. It was excellent and similar in its purity and red fruitedness, but didn’t quite have the same level of spice.

I had the 2010 Perrin et Fils Gigondas la Gille last week and it instantly reminded me of the 2011 Pegau. Great wine and can be found for around $25.

I find the Perrin and Cosme wines much more modern than Pegau. I’ll keep an eye out for the Tours and Boursan.