Consolidated off-the-beaten-path Burgundy TNs

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Gary Zimberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#251 Post by Gary Zimberg » May 30th, 2017, 10:12 am

Tom Moore wrote:I've really enjoyed the wines of Domaine Charles Audoin Marsannay - Champs Salomon, Charmes aux Prêtres, Le Clos de Jeu, Les Favières, Les Longeroies vineyards. I went deep on the 09 vintage and they are all drinking fine now. More on the elegant side for me. All of them around $25 locally.
I drank a '14 Audoin Marsannay Favieres on Friday.... really lovely, nice red berry fruit with nice framing. Great QPR.

Seth Rosenberg

#252 Post by Seth Rosenberg » May 30th, 2017, 4:52 pm

2014 Domaine Pierre Guillemot Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Les Serpentières

5/23/2017 - PnP. The nose is beautiful, fragrant, light and red: roses, a herbal/vegetal/green pepper thing (which works nicely here), red spices, some sweet and perfumed red fruits: wild strawberry and Ranier cherry (yes, they are yellow, I know), there is almost a crystallized-candied element to the fruit at moments which is very pretty. This is bright and red on the palate, entering with sweet fruit and then lots of the savory herbal thing going on, then tart red cherry and berries and more florals. When trilled the fruit shows deeper reserves and a bit more darkness. Very pure and light. All of this moves smoothly into the finish, which is savory, light red, tart, with some minerality showing now. I figured 2014 and Guillemot would be a classic combination and I was not disappointed. Classic Red Burgundy.

2013 Domaine Duroché Gevrey-Chambertin Le Clos

11/30/2016 - Open about 18 hours. Right now the nose is showing stemmy green and tart red cranberry and cherry fruit, and then quite a bit of perfumed rose petal. There's also stones, iron, dirt and a little spice. This is quite young, linear, and taut, like many 2013s, with quite a bit of acid. The palate is very similar - both in flavor and texture, to the nose. It's got lots of stems/green, tart red fruits, some stones and earth, and herbal and floral aspects. Both the nose and palate have a slightly deeper/darker layer to them that adds some extra complexity, moving them from simply good to very good. The palate is high acid, transparent, and quite pure, with a little bit of sharp and bright tannins showing up towards the end. The finish is red fruit, acid crunch and stones.

Update on 12/4/16: Still going strong (about 1/5 bottle sitting on counter, cork in, no gas) black cherry, game, iron, stones, some herbs, marzipan, some zingy orange peel. Much more resolved now on palate: dark fruits - black cherry and blackberry, game, iron, bit of blood and citrus/zest. Finish is red cherries, stones with bright acid and a bit of resolved and very fine tannins.

2014 Digioia-Royer Bourgogne

9/3/2016 - Bottle opened on 8/3/16. Stored in the corked bottle in the fridge, no gas. I couldn't get around to trying this again quickly, and once it had been a week or two, with about half the bottle left, I figured it was shot and I got demoralized. Turns out I was wrong. The nose on this is pretty wonderful now: creamy blue-red fruits with a citrus/acidic crunch at the end: black raspberry, blackberry, cranberry, with some orange zest, but not the agressive zest that you get in a lot of young american Pinot, this is really nicely integrated. The nose is quite perfumed and deep, with wood, a good amount of dark and purple spice, and some minerals/stones. This is really primary. The palate is quite tart on entry, but it rounds out a bit and shows itself to be pretty resolved, with just a touch of soft fine tannins surrounding the flavors, along with prominent but integrated acidity. Tart raspberry and cranberry on entry carry through and some minerality shows. The midpalate is not complex (not showing the spice or wood flavors) and a bit bony at points, and I may have missed the peak of the palate with the month gap between tries. The finish is similar: good feel but not too much going on flavor wise, with muted tart red fruits and balanced acid. For a 14 Bourgogne to be where this after a month open is pretty damn impressive.

Kent Comley

#253 Post by Kent Comley » June 4th, 2017, 2:42 am

2015 Domaine de Villaine Mercurey Les Montots

Very primary, all black cherry and chalk dust trimmed with lipstick. Not VA type lipstick just a sweet fruit impression. Quite soft and slippery, with good persistence. Fun drink now. Very sessionable.
ITB

P. Moy

#254 Post by P. Moy » June 4th, 2017, 8:01 am

Not a Burgundy per se, but definitely off-the-beaten-path.

2007 Clos La Roque Pinot Noir Vin De Pays Des Cevennes

Fragrant and expressive nose of damp earth, black cherries and spice. Medium bodied, with flavors of sweet cherry fruit and spice. Good concentration, and the cherry fruit lingers at the end. Nice acidity and the tannins are resolved. This tastes like a blend of Gevrey and Vosne. Insert this as a ringer in a tasting of Gevrey or Vosne wines, and watch the jaws drop when this is revealed. It's that good, and priced at 5 euros.

I first drank this some years ago at my friend's home in the Languedoc, and we were so astonished at its quality that my friend drove to the domaine the next day and bought three pallets. He has been buying this every vintage. I drank the 2012 version this past March, and it's really good but nowhere ready. It costs 8 euros.

I don't think this producer is imported to the US, but if you're in the Languedoc...
Peter Moy

Kent Comley

#255 Post by Kent Comley » August 21st, 2017, 5:42 pm

Two 2015 Bourgognes from Benjamin Leroux

2015 Benjamin Leroux Bourgogne Blanc

Vivid, bright, green-tinged, with a puff of chalk dust. Citrics and just a hint of teh more exotic. Very good.

2015 Benjamin Leroux Bourgogne Rouge

Lovely nose, lifted violets, dark cherries, very Pinot. On the palate mid weight with slightly short palate, however it is an attractive drink today.
ITB

Martin Steinley

#256 Post by Martin Steinley » August 21st, 2017, 9:20 pm

Thank, Kent. It seems that the 2015 white Burgundies are going to have more energy and precision than the early reports suggested, and I expect that we are going to hear a lot of good things about 2015 Bourgogne rouge, consistent with your note.
ITB

Jeremy Holmes

#257 Post by Jeremy Holmes » August 21st, 2017, 9:54 pm

2015 Faiveley Mercurey 1er Cru Clos du Roy: The nose is vibrant and detailed with notes of pomegranate, raspberry, cherry and mineral. It has excellent flesh overlaying a stony base. There's more richness than you tend to see from this bottling yet the wine is light on its feet. It has excellent cut and really fans out on the finish. Possibly the best young Clos du Roy from Faiveley that I have seen.
ITB

Kent Comley

#258 Post by Kent Comley » August 21st, 2017, 10:17 pm

Snap - from another thread.

2015 Faiveleys just lobbed so took a peek at a couple of the Mercureys.

2015 Faiveley Mercurey Clos du Roy (750ml)
This is quite dark and brooding. Good underlying muscle and structure, without being heavy. It has good ripeness without being heavy, but really needs another few years in bottle to really strut its stuff.

2015 Faiveley Mercurey Clos des Myglands (375ml)
This is more open, vibrant, again with good density and generous mid palate. Finishes long and balanced. At the moment a better drink. Outstanding QPR here.

Excellent showing by both wines. Lots of wine for a modest entry fee. Load up. I did.
ITB

Martin Steinley

#259 Post by Martin Steinley » August 21st, 2017, 10:28 pm

The 2015 Guillemot Savigny-les-Beaune Gravains is from youngish vines, but they are well-placed. It is a more darkly-colored wine than I expected from Guillemot, and the red cherry aromas get up the nasal passages in a hurry. It is cool, fresh and pure on the attack, has good mid-palate flesh and finishes with a red fruit perfume and forest action. Some preferred Domaine Sigaut's 2015 Chambolle-Musigny Les Fuees. I preferred the Guillemot because it is prettier.
ITB

Martin Steinley

#260 Post by Martin Steinley » August 28th, 2017, 8:46 am

The 2015 Domaine De Cherisey Blagny Rouge 1er cru La Genelotte, from vines approaching 90 years-old, is aromatic, sappy, lithe and long. The vintage has contributed some flesh, color and alcohol (all the way up to 12%) not always found in this wine. For my palate, this wine is among the very best, unknown red Burgundies going. It's in the same league as Ramonet's Chassagne-Montrachet 1er cru Clos de la Boudriotte. Winemaker Laurent Martelet has or is developing a reputation for his focused, chiseled, mineral whites from up high on the Puligny-Montrachet and Meursault slopes, such that the Blagny rouge is the (under-priced) sleeper.
ITB

m. ristev

#261 Post by m. ristev » August 28th, 2017, 9:28 am

i am very curious to try this wine as i love low abv reds but at $80+ ws average i am not sure i see any value
mајкл

Martin Steinley

#262 Post by Martin Steinley » August 28th, 2017, 8:06 pm

I buy wholesale direct from Kermit Lynch and sell it for $55. I am not sure what a third tier adds, but $25 seems like a lot. The 2014 is 11.5% ABV per the label and palate - lovely wine.
ITB

m. ristev

#263 Post by m. ristev » August 28th, 2017, 8:13 pm

thanks for the information. i would probably give it a try at that price. marc soyard at domaine de la cras makes fantastic pinot near dijon and it usually clocks in at 11%. he formerly worked with jean yves bizot. it runs about $40 here, but in france it is under the 30 euro mark.
mајкл

Martin Steinley

#264 Post by Martin Steinley » August 28th, 2017, 10:10 pm

Thank you. I will track down Soyard as I like the style a lot as well.
ITB

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#265 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » August 28th, 2017, 10:17 pm

2013 Bruno Clair Chassagne VV

The wine is a beautiful light ruby in the glass with enticing aromas of strawberry, roses, and citrus notes. The palate demonstrates a light tannic structure with more ripe fruits and ample acidity. It isn't an overly complex wine but is a delicious one!

Martin Steinley

#266 Post by Martin Steinley » August 29th, 2017, 8:38 pm

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:2013 Bruno Clair Chassagne VV

The wine is a beautiful light ruby in the glass with enticing aromas of strawberry, roses, and citrus notes. The palate demonstrates a light tannic structure with more ripe fruits and ample acidity. It isn't an overly complex wine but is a delicious one!
Sounds really good, Michael. Might this have been Bruno Colin and not Bruno Clair? After a bunch of premoxed Colin-Deleger white Burgundies, I gave up on that domaine and those of his sons after they split most of their father's domaine, but I probably should have a look at the sons' wines, particularly the reds.
ITB

Ian Fitzsimmons

#267 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » September 1st, 2017, 6:31 pm

Kent Comley wrote:2015 Domaine de Villaine Mercurey Les Montots

Very primary, all black cherry and chalk dust trimmed with lipstick. Not VA type lipstick just a sweet fruit impression. Quite soft and slippery, with good persistence. Fun drink now. Very sessionable.
I bought a stack of these in 2009, after trying a bottle, which didn't really show its quality until the fourth or fifth day after opening, when it spread its wings to very great effect. Based on this experience, I'm holding my bottles the 10 or so years recommended on the de Villaine website for this bottling (or formerly recommended - the cellaring indications no longer appear now). In any event, a wine with outsize potential in a good vintage.

m. ristev

#268 Post by m. ristev » September 3rd, 2017, 7:13 am

it has been quite some time since i checked in with the 2014 marc soyard les cras. this is the only producer at the moment who is granted a coteaux de dijon appellation. the color is bright ruby, almost electric like a jura red. immediately the stem inclusion wafts from the glass along with red pinot fruit and a bit of spice. on the palate it is very svelte at 11.5 abv yet has a lovely concentration of fruit. the wine finishes with a very fresh acidity and some earthy flavors (potting soil?) offsetting the juicy fruit. with 30 minutes in the glass the tannins flesh out considerably. by no means a complex wine, but then again the vines are only 30 years old. perfectly crushable with more than enough intrigue to keep one's attention. priced in the same spectrum as cru beaujolais, however i much prefer this.
Attachments
IMG_0701.JPG
IMG_0701.JPG (22.38 KiB) Viewed 2337 times
mајкл

Martin Steinley

#269 Post by Martin Steinley » September 3rd, 2017, 9:15 am

The Soyard sounds really good, M. The domaine's young history is intriguing and Soyard's training at Bizot should give him the tools to do good things here. I also like the northern location, and the low alcohol and style that you have described. I believe that you are on to something here.
ITB

Jayson Cohen

#270 Post by Jayson Cohen » September 3rd, 2017, 9:17 am

Martin Steinley wrote:The 2015 Domaine De Cherisey Blagny Rouge 1er cru La Genelotte, from vines approaching 90 years-old, is aromatic, sappy, lithe and long. The vintage has contributed some flesh, color and alcohol (all the way up to 12%) not always found in this wine. For my palate, this wine is among the very best, unknown red Burgundies going. It's in the same league as Ramonet's Chassagne-Montrachet 1er cru Clos de la Boudriotte. Winemaker Laurent Martelet has or is developing a reputation for his focused, chiseled, mineral whites from up high on the Puligny-Montrachet and Meursault slopes, such that the Blagny rouge is the (under-priced) sleeper.
Unknown to me. But if in the same category as Ramonet Boudriotte, that's high praise. The latter isn't such an insider wine anymore unfortunately.

Martin Steinley

#271 Post by Martin Steinley » September 3rd, 2017, 9:49 am

Jayson Cohen wrote:
Martin Steinley wrote:The 2015 Domaine De Cherisey Blagny Rouge 1er cru La Genelotte, from vines approaching 90 years-old, is aromatic, sappy, lithe and long. The vintage has contributed some flesh, color and alcohol (all the way up to 12%) not always found in this wine. For my palate, this wine is among the very best, unknown red Burgundies going. It's in the same league as Ramonet's Chassagne-Montrachet 1er cru Clos de la Boudriotte. Winemaker Laurent Martelet has or is developing a reputation for his focused, chiseled, mineral whites from up high on the Puligny-Montrachet and Meursault slopes, such that the Blagny rouge is the (under-priced) sleeper.
Unknown to me. But if in the same category as Ramonet Boudriotte, that's high praise. The latter isn't such an insider wine anymore unfortunately.
Jayson, Cherisey is a Kermit Lynch import. Like Ramonet, the red(s) are on equal footing with the whites, although not discussed much. I understand your point about Ramonet's Boudriotte, but most still pass it by in a rush to get to more expensive village-level bottlings from the likes of Dujac, Fourrier, etc. Also, it is one of the few wines that I buy the wholesale cost of which is about the same here as in France. $75 retail is not inexpensive for a bottle of wine, but it's good for 1er cru red Burgundy the quality of Ramonet's Boudriotte. And, indeed, the 2015 Cherisey is a comparable wine. The 2014 may be too lean for some (11.5% ABV), but it sings at the dinner table.
ITB

Ian Fitzsimmons

#272 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » September 3rd, 2017, 2:37 pm

I'm intrigued by the Cherisey, Ramonet, and Pillot Clos St. Jean, but observe with chagrin that this trio starts near $50 and ends up near $90 (for the Ramonet 1ers).

No harm in this, if you have the disposable income to shop in this range, and the discussion in this thread is of relatively obscure good Burgundy, not inexpensive ones. But Gillemot, Prudhon, Cornu, de Villaine, are especially good buys, imho, in $30-$40 range.

Robert Panzer

#273 Post by Robert Panzer » September 4th, 2017, 9:56 am

I drank a bottle of Vincent Dureuil Janthial Rully En Guesnes '14 over the past 3 days.
A delight.
He isn't as known for his red wines as his whites, but that is a major oversight, perhaps if only because there is far more white made.
On day 1, it was more muddled between its structure and fruit, displaying some of the lightly coarse tannin that its clay dominant soils afford. It is medium weight, moderately extracted, its fruit somewhere at the threshold of dark red/light black fruits. It has at once a sense of black fruited succulence with fruit skin crunchiness/tart that renders it wonderfully refreshing. Its length and purity never wavered a bit, and only got more harmonized on day 2 and 3, in both its clarity of flavor and structure. In purity, pleasure, refreshment, spice, and length, a yum yum yum award recipient.
I import and sell his wines.
This costs $32.
I T B - Down to Earth Wines

Martin Steinley

#274 Post by Martin Steinley » September 4th, 2017, 11:33 am

Ian Fitzsimmons wrote:I'm intrigued by the Cherisey, Ramonet, and Pillot Clos St. Jean, but observe with chagrin that this trio starts near $50 and ends up near $90 (for the Ramonet 1ers).

No harm in this, if you have the disposable income to shop in this range, and the discussion in this thread is of relatively obscure good Burgundy, not inexpensive ones. But Gillemot, Prudhon, Cornu, de Villaine, are especially good buys, imho, in $30-$40 range.
As you know, Ian, there are innumerable really good Burgundies in the range that you describe, and for even less if one is willing to explore the likes of Marsannay, Rully, Givry and even Maranges (I expect there will be a fair bit of action here in the coming years). For my palate, $20 in one of these appellations will get me a better wine for the dinner table than any other region of the world - fresh, appetizing aroma; cool, restrained, fruit; and acids and tannins providing delineation and structure. In my experience, no region can do this like Burgundy. A good example is Danjean-Berthoux in Givry (which I no longer sell, but wish I did) - Bourgogne rouge for $15, Givry village for under $20, and 1er cru Givry for just over $20. And there are many, many more like him. There are some who maintain that good Burgundy can't be had for under $100. That is, of course, borne out of ignorance, or simply looking for something Burgundy generally does not provide - unbridled concentration and power.
ITB

Kent Comley

#275 Post by Kent Comley » September 4th, 2017, 6:04 pm

Robert Panzer wrote:I drank a bottle of Vincent Dureuil Janthial Rully En Guesnes '14 over the past 3 days.
A delight.
He isn't as known for his red wines as his whites, but that is a major oversight, perhaps if only because there is far more white made.
On day 1, it was more muddled between its structure and fruit, displaying some of the lightly coarse tannin that its clay dominant soils afford. It is medium weight, moderately extracted, its fruit somewhere at the threshold of dark red/light black fruits. It has at once a sense of black fruited succulence with fruit skin crunchiness/tart that renders it wonderfully refreshing. Its length and purity never wavered a bit, and only got more harmonized on day 2 and 3, in both its clarity of flavor and structure. In purity, pleasure, refreshment, spice, and length, a yum yum yum award recipient.
I import and sell his wines.
This costs $32.
Robert, The 2010 was a delight.
ITB

Ian Fitzsimmons

#276 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » September 5th, 2017, 4:03 am

Martin Steinley wrote:
Ian Fitzsimmons wrote:I'm intrigued by the Cherisey, Ramonet, and Pillot Clos St. Jean, but observe with chagrin that this trio starts near $50 and ends up near $90 (for the Ramonet 1ers).

As you know, Ian, there are innumerable really good Burgundies in the range that you describe, and for even less if one is willing to explore the likes of Marsannay, Rully, Givry and even Maranges (I expect there will be a fair bit of action here in the coming years). For my palate, $20 in one of these appellations will get me a better wine for the dinner table than any other region of the world - fresh, appetizing aroma; cool, restrained, fruit; and acids and tannins providing delineation and structure. In my experience, no region can do this like Burgundy. A good example is Danjean-Berthoux in Givry (which I no longer sell, but wish I did) - Bourgogne rouge for $15, Givry village for under $20, and 1er cru Givry for just over $20. And there are many, many more like him. There are some who maintain that good Burgundy can't be had for under $100. That is, of course, borne out of ignorance, or simply looking for something Burgundy generally does not provide - unbridled concentration and power.
Yeah, Martin, I tend to tunnel-vision along my own buying preferences, disregarding the fact that for a fair segment of the fine wine market, Burgundy priced between $50 and $100 is still inexpensive. (I need to work on that next promotion [cheers.gif])

You are better-placed, naturally, to sample and judge Burgundy at under $30. For my part, I look to Burgundy for my 'fancy' wine fix, and, near $20, I'm finding I'm often happier with cru Beaujolais than Burgundy regionals, or a Piemont Barbara (not to divert the thread). There are exceptions, of course - Lafarge Bourgogne is kind of unbelievable, for one - and I'll seek opportunities to try the wines you name.

Martin Steinley

#277 Post by Martin Steinley » September 8th, 2017, 10:07 pm

Inspired by M. above, I arranged for some of the 2015 Domaine de la Cras wines to arrive in my warehouse today. Given my concerns for bottle shock in a young wine, I let them rest for the afternoon and then opened the 2015 Coteaux de Dijon Bourgogne Rouge "Cras." This is much like M. describes the 2014 above: Vibrant color; fresh, pure, lively Pinot fruit on the nose and attack; some flesh through the mid-palate; and invigorating finish with some sweet forest action. I believe that young Marc Soyard has a future.
ITB

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#278 Post by Howard Cooper » September 8th, 2017, 11:24 pm

Ian, for $25-30, try Hudelot-Noellat Bourgogne Rouge (can get at MacArthurs). Also, Givry from Domaine du Moirots (at Weygandt Wines).
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Ian Fitzsimmons

#279 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » September 9th, 2017, 6:25 am

Thanks, Howard. I've dabbled in the H-N from McArthurs in years past, and think I sampled the Moirots, on Warren's recommendation, a couple of years ago - impressive. I'm going to the Hirtzberger tasting there today and will check it out again.

As I wrote, though, when I'm buying in this range, I feel I'm getting more satisfaction and interest from wines of other regions, notably cru Beaujolais (including Wegandt's Vissoux, BTW). So I'm concentrating my Burgundy $ on reasonably-priced 1ers, where, imho, Burgundy can offer great value. Anyway, variety is the spice of life.

Apropos, I opened my last bottle of David Clark Bourgogne (2009, purchased from Weygandt) last night - very good with a chicken and rice dish. A bottle of the same wine opened a week earlier was a mess, but must been flawed.

m. ristev

#280 Post by m. ristev » September 9th, 2017, 6:45 am

Martin Steinley wrote:Inspired by M. above, I arranged for some of the 2015 Domaine de la Cras wines to arrive in my warehouse today. Given my concerns for bottle shock in a young wine, I let them rest for the afternoon and then opened the 2015 Coteaux de Dijon Bourgogne Rouge "Cras." This is much like M. describes the 2014 above: Vibrant color; fresh, pure, lively Pinot fruit on the nose and attack; some flesh through the mid-palate; and invigorating finish with some sweet forest action. I believe that young Marc Soyard has a future.
have yet to see the 2015s anywhere in new york. who imported the bottles you acquired? glad you enjoyed it by the way! marc also has two parcels of old vines which he owns and releases simply under marc soyard. one is a hautes cotes de nuits and the other a ladoix. i am not sure these are imported but the ladoix, which is called hermaion, is a stunner.
mајкл

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#281 Post by Howard Cooper » September 9th, 2017, 7:43 am

Ian Fitzsimmons wrote:Thanks, Howard. I've dabbled in the H-N from McArthurs in years past, and think I sampled the Moirots, on Warren's recommendation, a couple of years ago - impressive. I'm going to the Hirtzberger tasting there today and will check it out again.

As I wrote, though, when I'm buying in this range, I feel I'm getting more satisfaction and interest from wines of other regions, notably cru Beaujolais (including Wegandt's Vissoux, BTW). So I'm concentrating my Burgundy $ on reasonably-priced 1ers, where, imho, Burgundy can offer great value. Anyway, variety is the spice of life.

Apropos, I opened my last bottle of David Clark Bourgogne (2009, purchased from Weygandt) last night - very good with a chicken and rice dish. A bottle of the same wine opened a week earlier was a mess, but must been flawed.
Fair enough. I like Burgundies like the ones I suggested more than Beaujolais, but it really is a matter of taste not quality.
Howard

Martin Steinley

#282 Post by Martin Steinley » September 9th, 2017, 9:02 am

m. ristev wrote:who imported the bottles you acquired?
Paris Wine Company, San Francisco.
ITB

Martin Steinley

#283 Post by Martin Steinley » September 11th, 2017, 8:02 am

The 2014 Henri Prudhon & Fils Bourgogne Les Charmeaux is, as always, a lip-smackin' good red Burgundy and a bargain at under $20. It's all St.-Aubin fruit. The color is about as pale as red Burgundy gets and it is slightly opaque. The nose is fresh and all red, and the palate is nicely concentrated with tender, supple Pinot fruit. Without knowing what we were drinking, my wife said "that is such as pretty, elegant wine." As a bonus, the low alcohol (12% ABV on the label and I doubt that it is that) enables one to share a bottle at dinner and still read a bed-time book to a child or grandchild without taking an elbow in the ribs for falling asleep.
ITB

KatrinaBI

#284 Post by KatrinaBI » September 12th, 2017, 6:27 pm

Finally got out to K and L to pick up a couple months worth of orders, including my first 2015 burgundies. Opened this one tonight with home-made Indian food. The overt fruitiness made this a good match.

2015 Jean-Michel Giboulot Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Les Gravain
s
Friendly and appealing. Ripe strawberries, ripe cherries and tart black fruits on the nose and palate, with the latter providing nice acidity which keeps the whole bouyant. Some spiciness too, which was accentuated when paired with food. Persistent, with the slight kick of liqorice on the back-end a reminder of the 30% whole cluster used. Not an overly complex or serious drink right now, but maybe time will rectify? 13% abv ($35)

Also opened this one:
2015 Domaine Tortochot Bourgogne Cuvée Fine Sélection Pinot Noir
Pretty magenta color. On the palate, a rush of ripe fruit up front bouyed by plenty of acidity. Drops off fairly quickly on the mid-palate and disappears. No tannins/grip that I could discern. Quite generic and lacking interest. Glad I just bought the one bottle to try it out. 12.5% abv ($25)

Martin Steinley

#285 Post by Martin Steinley » December 25th, 2017, 9:38 am

It seems that, after being in the bottle for just a couple of years, 2013 red Burgundies are coming together really nicely. There is ample concentration and good acids provide freshness and focus. I have had several recently from Gouges, Hudelot-Noellat, Barthod, Ramonet (rouge) and the like, and all have been excellent. Aloxe-Corton Valozieres is a nicely-situated, south-east facing 1er cru just below grand cru Corton Bressandes and abutting grand cru Corton Marechaudes. The 2013 Chandon de Briailles Aloxe-Corton Valozieres is, surprisingly for me, a step up from the domaine's very good 2013 Pernand-Vergelesses Ile des Vergelesses. Due to hail, the domaine de-stemmed its fruit, which seems to have contributed to unusually supple wines. The nose here features red, earth-driven fruit. The palate, from attack to finish, is fully saturated, with some nice flesh, but its cool, clean and focused by reason of the good acids. For my palate, this approaches grand cru quality (for about $65).

I sell Chandon de Briailles wines.
ITB

Martin Steinley

#286 Post by Martin Steinley » January 22nd, 2018, 8:15 am

I know that Claude Kolm and John Gilman are advocates of the Camus-Bruchon wines and I have now come around to their view. The 2014 Camus-Bruchon Savigny-Les-Beaune Lavieres has a soil-driven, dark red fruit nose (raspberry-like), the attack is cool and fresh, it expands through the mid-palate but with plenty of vigor and energy, and finishes with a lingering perfume of soil and red fruits and pleasing tannic grip. I drank this next to a good, albeit young, grand cru, and it more than held its own. This is a really good red Burgundy for about $30 (currently discounted by the CA importer).

Disclaimer: I sell Camus-Bruchon wines.
ITB

Ian H

#287 Post by Ian H » March 31st, 2018, 5:40 pm

Martin Steinley wrote:I know that Claude Kolm and John Gilman are advocates of the Camus-Bruchon wines and I have now come around to their view. The 2014 Camus-Bruchon Savigny-Les-Beaune Lavieres has a soil-driven, dark red fruit nose (raspberry-like), the attack is cool and fresh, it expands through the mid-palate but with plenty of vigor and energy, and finishes with a lingering perfume of soil and red fruits and pleasing tannic grip. I drank this next to a good, albeit young, grand cru, and it more than held its own. This is a really good red Burgundy for about $30 (currently discounted by the CA importer).

I picked up two of these yesterday and just saw your post. Now more excited. I paid 39 bucks for them but happy as I really really liked their 2014 Savigny Aux Grands Liards Vieilles Vignes. That one cost me 23 smackeroos and was incredibly balanced with nice fruit and length.
@@S

Jayson Cohen

#288 Post by Jayson Cohen » March 31st, 2018, 5:44 pm

Ian H wrote:
Martin Steinley wrote:I know that Claude Kolm and John Gilman are advocates of the Camus-Bruchon wines and I have now come around to their view. The 2014 Camus-Bruchon Savigny-Les-Beaune Lavieres has a soil-driven, dark red fruit nose (raspberry-like), the attack is cool and fresh, it expands through the mid-palate but with plenty of vigor and energy, and finishes with a lingering perfume of soil and red fruits and pleasing tannic grip. I drank this next to a good, albeit young, grand cru, and it more than held its own. This is a really good red Burgundy for about $30 (currently discounted by the CA importer).

I picked up two of these yesterday and just saw your post. Now more excited. I paid 39 bucks for them but happy as I really really liked their 2014 Savigny Aux Grands Liards Vieilles Vignes. That one cost me 23 smackeroos and was incredibly balanced with nice fruit and length.
I bought 3 bottles of this at $31.99 on closeout only 3 weeks ago. I couldn’t resist. Am looking forward to trying one soon.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#289 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » March 31st, 2018, 6:04 pm

Thoughts on clerget?

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#290 Post by Howard Cooper » March 31st, 2018, 8:33 pm

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:Thoughts on clerget?
I have had older wines made by the father that were good not great. The son supposedly is the real deal but I have not tasted them yet.
Howard

Kent Comley

#291 Post by Kent Comley » May 8th, 2018, 2:51 pm

A couple of cracking 2015s. This is the vintage to buy at the "off the beaten track level" based on these two.

2015 Domaine Lucien Jacob Savigny-Les-Beaune
Red fruit spectrum, crunchy cranberry, pomegranate, supoer purity, unadorned. Good tannin structure, has that just ripe feel but wonderful fresh fruit palate, surprisingly dense and with excellent length. Give it a few years. Bargain.

2015 Jean Fournier Marsannay Les Langerois

Darker fruit spectrum, refined, but with good density. The tannins are less obtrusive than the Jacob Savigny, just a tad riper. Nicely handled oak and again great fruit definition with some darker earthy notes. Delicious now, but with upside.
ITB

Ian Fitzsimmons

#292 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » May 9th, 2018, 9:29 am

Kent, thanks; may I ask what the Fournier goes for?

Kent Comley

#293 Post by Kent Comley » May 9th, 2018, 3:03 pm

Runs to about $US60 retail here - I would expect with the variation in taxes and other price comparisons you should be able to pick this up in the States for closer to $US40, if it is imported.
ITB

Kent Comley

#294 Post by Kent Comley » May 10th, 2018, 4:59 pm

2015 Jean-Marc Vincent Auxey-Duresses Les Brettarins

This is distinctly savoury, more about earth than primary fruit. It's textural, firmish at present, reminds me of some of the Engel wines, and will really benefit with some cellar time.
ITB

Ian Fitzsimmons

#295 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » May 11th, 2018, 12:15 pm

Thanks.

Kent Comley

#296 Post by Kent Comley » July 29th, 2018, 6:24 pm

2015 Catherine et Claude Marechal Auxey-Duresses
Bright, ripe, juicy cherry fruit. Juicy, slippery palate of good density, with good underlying structure and a creaminess at the back end, perhaps oak derived. Plush, polished, with just a hint of quinine at the finish. Yum.
ITB

Kent Comley

Re: Consolidated off-the-beaten-path Burgundy TNs

#297 Post by Kent Comley » September 16th, 2018, 4:23 pm

2008 Jean-Claude Boisset Ladoix 'Les Hautes Mourottes' 1er
This is stonkingly good. Energetic, detailed, savoury. Drinking wonderfully today. Blindfolded i would say a good Vosne premier cru.
ITB

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#298 Post by alan weinberg » September 16th, 2018, 4:25 pm

you’re tearing it up lately, Mr. Comley.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#299 Post by Howard Cooper » September 16th, 2018, 5:07 pm

A week ago we had a 2010 Dublere Savigny-lès-Beaune Les Planchots du Nord and a 2010 Cecile Tremblay Bourgogne Rouge. The Tremblay was the richer wine and it was the wine my wife favored. While it was excellent, I very much preferred Blair's wine. Not as rich or full of flavor, it really had a wonderful elegance and complexity to it. It was quite a seductive wine, albett in a lighter style. It is just why I enjoy Blair's wines so much.
Howard

Kent Comley

#300 Post by Kent Comley » September 16th, 2018, 5:25 pm

Alan,
I drink fairly consistently but only post on the wines that I find interesting.

Howard, agrred Blair's wines are good - almost opened his 08 Savigny Telmettes last night but instead went for the Boisset as it was adjacent to the Dublere.
ITB

Return to “Wine Talk”