Consolidated off-the-beaten-path Burgundy TNs

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Nikolai Navrozov

#201 Post by Nikolai Navrozov » July 24th, 2016, 1:39 pm

2011 Mercurey Domaine de la Monette

This small domaine in Mercurey makes what might easily be mistaken for a light lunch wine when it's young. I remember tasting it a few years ago and finding it perfectly good but simple and one-dimensional. Then this month I was lucky enough to find a few bottles of the 2011 left over at the back of my cellar. These "little wines" had opened up and blossomed into a serious fruit medley with ample tannins and a powerful perfumed nose you can smell from across the room. Dark cherries, bright undergrowth, and a polished, powerful verve you'd be happy to find in top category red Burgundy. Serious power here, and from a wine was under €5 ex-domaine... Now I think it's been scouted by Howard Ripley in the UK so we may see more of it, but not for that price!

Martin Steinley

#202 Post by Martin Steinley » July 24th, 2016, 3:13 pm

Nikolai Navrozov wrote:2011 Mercurey Domaine de la Monette Dark cherries, bright undergrowth, and a polished, powerful verve you'd be happy to find in top category red Burgundy. Serious power here, and from a wine was under €5 ex-domaine.
You win, Nikolai. Welcome to the board.
ITB

Martin Steinley

#203 Post by Martin Steinley » July 25th, 2016, 9:53 pm

Martin Steinley wrote:
Jeremy Holmes wrote:One of he other areas worthy of exploring in this thread are excellent red wines made by white wine makers. Ramonet are right at the top of this pack. They make pure, fresh, fragrant reds that have a track record of aging for decades. They are very much under-valued.

2010 Domaine Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 'Morgeot' 1er Cru Rouge: Looks like top tier Volnay 'Caillerets' but perhaps a little more chunky. Delicious strawberry and cherry fruit. Excellent minerality. Flesh overlays structure. Some violets come to the fore with air. Lovely balance and proportion.
To borrow from Jeremy's vocabulary, we punched in the 2013 Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet La Boudriottes Rouge last night. I took one smell and sip and dashed to my laptop to see if the importer had any more (alas, no). Kathleen put her nose in the glass and looked at me as if to say "are you kidding me?" After she took a sip, she began doing backflips around the table (which is quite a scene as she is 6'1" and our old Craftsman has box beam ceilings). In any case, this wine is a poster child for Jeremy's point above. Definitely Volnay-like - fragrant, rich, pure, with a luxurious texture and lingering perfume. Quite simply a beautiful bottle of Burgundy that I expect will drink well for all of its long life.
The 2013 Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet Rouge tonight was not far off the Boudriotte. The fruit is of the pale, red variety, strawberry as Jeremy describes above. The nose is nicely fragrant of those red fruits, and the palate is full of sappy, earth-driven fruit which culminates with a high, pine needle top note. In Chambolle-Musigny and Moret-St.-Denis they get $75-$100 for this, in Chassagne-Montrachet they get about $40.
ITB

Jeremy Holmes

#204 Post by Jeremy Holmes » July 26th, 2016, 1:44 am

Well done Martin.
ITB

Martin Steinley

#205 Post by Martin Steinley » August 6th, 2016, 8:56 am

The 2013 Jean-Marc Pillot Chassagne-Montrachet Clos St. Jean VV has simply beautiful dark red fruit on both the nose and palate. The attack comes fast and it is loaded with that sweet red fruit. The mid-palate is nicely swollen where some underbrush action and some firmer things emerge. Bright acids keep the whole affair sappy and fresh and the 110 year-old vines make for a luxurious texture. It finishes with persistence and perfume. For my palate, this is near the pinnacle of reds made south of Volnay. About $60.
ITB

KatrinaBI

#206 Post by KatrinaBI » August 7th, 2016, 6:44 pm

2013 Regis Bouvier Marsannay Les Longeroies VV. Just delicious. A somber nose of macerated ripe fruits with a touch of framing oak spice and some subtle compost notes. After a week of indifferently made wines, I could sit here and smell this all evening. On the palate, good density with nicely plump fruit while the supporting acids provide more agility than the nose would suggest. Long finish with soft tannins. Quintessential Marsannay that competently scratched our burgundy itch tonight. $30.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#207 Post by Howard Cooper » August 8th, 2016, 7:12 am

When we were in Burgundy, we had some really good wines that fit this category. I would start with a fabulous Bourgogne Rouge from Mugneret-Gibourg, but I doubt anyone (myself included) will find it.

The 2014 Bourgogne Blanc from Bernard Moreau was fabulous.

As was the 2009 Chorey les Beaune from Drouhin.

And, I really enjoyed a 2014 Jean Claude Ramonet CM Clos St. Jean (red). Bought some 1/2 bottles of this to bring back - I love having really nice half bottles of wines as good as this.

Then, we had a plethora of great value wines from Dublere. This is a fabulous source for well priced Burgundy. And, the 2014s and 2015s are going to be really good. Among the well priced off the beaten path wines we had were a 2014 Bourgogne Blanc, a 2015 Chorey les Beaune la Malderette, 2014 and 2015 wines from Savigny les Beaune Les Planchots du Nord and SlB Talmett and a 2015 Beaune la Blanche Fleur.

In Chablis, the 2014 Vaillons from Christian Moreau and the 2014 Vaillons from Moreau-Naudins were real highlights in an outstanding group of Chablis that should be well priced (we also had some outstanding grand crus, but they likely do not fit in this thread).
Last edited by Howard Cooper on August 8th, 2016, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Mike Grammer

#208 Post by Mike Grammer » August 8th, 2016, 9:28 am

Thanks everyone for all of these---somehow I have missed this thread up to this point. Will provide a very nice "marker" for me for my next foray to Burgundy next spring...and things to look for on the shelves before then.

Slainte,

Mike

Kent Comley

#209 Post by Kent Comley » August 9th, 2016, 8:53 pm

Last night's 2013 Faiveley Mercurey Clos Du Roy was chiselled and energetic with chalky, powdery tannins. Red fruit spectrum, nicely delineated and naturally way too young. Does not show the lushness of the 2010 or 2012, but will improve for a long time.
ITB

KatrinaBI

#210 Post by KatrinaBI » August 12th, 2016, 6:54 pm

2010 Domaine Des Croix Beaune, 1er Cru Bressandes Still not really knit together. Lovely finessed nose of ripe plum and violet and some meatiness and a hint of vanilla. On the palate, quite acidic, with the fruit taking a back seat. Something bitter/harsh comes and goes on the finish, making the wine more and less disjointed. This was a disappointing showing as I bought a bunch of these on close out some years ago for $25. Happily, however, I saved a glass and drank after 4 days in the fridge. It is just gorgeous tonight, with sapid fruit, silky mouthfeel and a long, smooth finish. When this comes around, it's going to be delicious. Glad I have some more bottles which I'll tuck away for a while.

Domaine Des Croix is a really underrated producer, I think. (Or maybe I just have crap taste in burgundy). Galloni gives his recent vintages quite high scores, but I still keep picking up his wine heavily discounted from various outlets. May he continue to be under-rated while I add to my stash....

Ian Fitzsimmons

#211 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » August 27th, 2016, 4:08 pm

I don't have a recent note, but Rollin's Sous Fretilles is, imho, a truffle - that is to say, a hidden-from-site gem. A few years ago, I drank through a pile of 2002s, and around age 10-12, omg. The only white Burg from south of the Yonne that has really stolen my face.

Martin Steinley

#212 Post by Martin Steinley » August 28th, 2016, 11:13 am

Ian Fitzsimmons wrote:I don't have a recent note, but Rollin's Sous Fretilles is, imho, a truffle - that is to say, a hidden-from-site gem. A few years ago, I drank through a pile of 2002s, and around age 10-12, omg. The only white Burg from south of the Yonne that has really stolen my face.
I can well imagine. At that age, I expect that wine would be difficult to distinguish from a good Corton Charlemagne. It is among the very best under-the-radar white Burgundies going. For about $50, one gets a Corton-Charlemagne-like experience.
ITB

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#213 Post by Howard Cooper » August 28th, 2016, 11:36 am

Martin Steinley wrote:
Martin Steinley wrote:
Jeremy Holmes wrote:One of he other areas worthy of exploring in this thread are excellent red wines made by white wine makers. Ramonet are right at the top of this pack. They make pure, fresh, fragrant reds that have a track record of aging for decades. They are very much under-valued.

2010 Domaine Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 'Morgeot' 1er Cru Rouge: Looks like top tier Volnay 'Caillerets' but perhaps a little more chunky. Delicious strawberry and cherry fruit. Excellent minerality. Flesh overlays structure. Some violets come to the fore with air. Lovely balance and proportion.
To borrow from Jeremy's vocabulary, we punched in the 2013 Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet La Boudriottes Rouge last night. I took one smell and sip and dashed to my laptop to see if the importer had any more (alas, no). Kathleen put her nose in the glass and looked at me as if to say "are you kidding me?" After she took a sip, she began doing backflips around the table (which is quite a scene as she is 6'1" and our old Craftsman has box beam ceilings). In any case, this wine is a poster child for Jeremy's point above. Definitely Volnay-like - fragrant, rich, pure, with a luxurious texture and lingering perfume. Quite simply a beautiful bottle of Burgundy that I expect will drink well for all of its long life.
The 2013 Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet Rouge tonight was not far off the Boudriotte. The fruit is of the pale, red variety, strawberry as Jeremy describes above. The nose is nicely fragrant of those red fruits, and the palate is full of sappy, earth-driven fruit which culminates with a high, pine needle top note. In Chambolle-Musigny and Moret-St.-Denis they get $75-$100 for this, in Chassagne-Montrachet they get about $40.
Last night, I had a 2014 Jean Claude Ramonet Clos St. Jean red. Just as pure and beautiful as it could be. Yes it needs time. Yes it was not the richest wine in the world and did not have gobs and gobs of fruit. It was just what it should be.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Ian Fitzsimmons

#214 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » August 28th, 2016, 5:05 pm

Martin Steinley wrote:
Ian Fitzsimmons wrote:I don't have a recent note, but Rollin's Sous Fretilles is, imho, a truffle - that is to say, a hidden-from-site gem. A few years ago, I drank through a pile of 2002s, and around age 10-12, omg. The only white Burg from south of the Yonne that has really stolen my face.
I can well imagine. At that age, I expect that wine would be difficult to distinguish from a good Corton Charlemagne. It is among the very best under-the-radar white Burgundies going. For about $50, one gets a Corton-Charlemagne-like experience.
Didn't know that, thanks. Certainly, the 02 was special; the last two bottles were like halucinating, gustatorially.

Would like to read more about Jean-Marc Vincent, especially his whites - white Santenay being something of a black swan. I saw your emailer on this producer the other day, and then pulled up the Kermit Lynch fiche on them.

I've tended to look towards Savigny and Pernand to sustain my Burgundy habit on a shoestring (well, more or less), but the few bottles of Red Santenay I've tried (02 Pousse Tavannes) were noteworthy.

Oh, an off-path red: Occhipinti Frappato, with age. Opened a '10 a few weeks ago that could have been a GMO splice of a good Burgundy-style Pinot and a good Barbaresco-style Nebbiolo, in a good way. I'm adding this wine to my annual 'buy' list, which is saying a lot.

Martin Steinley

#215 Post by Martin Steinley » September 2nd, 2016, 10:43 pm

Kermit Lynch recently picked up the Francois Lumpp Givry wines. The 2014 Givry 1er cru Clos de Cras Long is an exceedingly succulent wine. The fruit is red, clean and fresh as a daisy. It has a nicely sweet and supple attack, good flesh through the mid-palate and finishes with easy tannins and a whisp of freshly-tilled soil (I was raised on the farm in western Canada and tilled my fair share of soil, so I know about such things, eh). This is a beautifully pure bottle of red Burgundy that can be drunk with much pleasure right now. How I wish it were $35ish and not $50ish.
ITB

BrianMarshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#216 Post by BrianMarshall » September 3rd, 2016, 4:18 am

Martin Steinley wrote:Kermit Lynch recently picked up the Francois Lumpp Givry wines. The 2014 Givry 1er cru Clos de Cras Long is an exceedingly succulent wine. The fruit is red, clean and fresh as a daisy. It has a nicely sweet and supple attack, good flesh through the mid-palate and finishes with easy tannins and a whisp of freshly-tilled soil (I was raised on the farm in western Canada and tilled my fair share of soil, so I know about such things, eh). This is a beautifully pure bottle of red Burgundy that can be drunk with much pleasure right now. How I wish it were $35ish and not $50ish.
I've never had this one, but the Denizot / Domaine des Moirots Givry are really nice wines in the $20 - $35 range.
CT: WMWG

Martin Steinley

#217 Post by Martin Steinley » September 10th, 2016, 10:59 am

Here are some short notes from recent wines, a few of which are off-the-beaten-path Burgundies:

14 Michel Chablis Montmain - about as naked as Chardonnay gets, pure, delicate, fine and chiseled
14 Lavantureaux Chablis VV - more flesh here, but equally pure and clean
12 Cherisy Meursault Blangy Genelotte - Roulot Schmoulot; all seven tasters where this was served said wow
13 Muzard Santenay Gravieres - pine needle nose, dark red fruit, firm and meaty
13 Vincent Santenay Gravieres - lovely floral nose, open and generous with fleshy/firm fruit and a perfumed finish; really good
13 Jean-Marc Morey Santenay Grand Clos Rousseau - lightly colored with equal parts fruit/savory stuff; love the wine
13 Jean-Marc Pillot Chassagne Montrachet Rouge Clos St. Jean VV - darkish wine, lots of old-vine energy and sap, broad and long
12 Regis Forey Vosne-Romanee - bright, forest-scented, gently spicy nose, good concentration/intensity on palate; liked by all
12 Gerard Mugneret Vosne-Romanee - not as overt as the Forey, but really pretty, quintessential village Vosne
10 Gouges Nuits-St.-Georges Chene Carteaux - gone are days of tough Gouges; lightly-colored, iron/soil driven, red-fruited wine
12 Chauvent Nuits-St.-Georges Damodes - Chevillon-like with dark, generous fruit, super-fine texture and nicely tannic grip
ITB

marc d

#218 Post by marc d » September 10th, 2016, 12:17 pm

KatrinaBI wrote:2010 Domaine Des Croix Beaune, 1er Cru Bressandes Still not really knit together. Lovely finessed nose of ripe plum and violet and some meatiness and a hint of vanilla. On the palate, quite acidic, with the fruit taking a back seat. Something bitter/harsh comes and goes on the finish, making the wine more and less disjointed. This was a disappointing showing as I bought a bunch of these on close out some years ago for $25. Happily, however, I saved a glass and drank after 4 days in the fridge. It is just gorgeous tonight, with sapid fruit, silky mouthfeel and a long, smooth finish. When this comes around, it's going to be delicious. Glad I have some more bottles which I'll tuck away for a while.

Domaine Des Croix is a really underrated producer, I think. (Or maybe I just have crap taste in burgundy). Galloni gives his recent vintages quite high scores, but I still keep picking up his wine heavily discounted from various outlets. May he continue to be under-rated while I add to my stash....
We drank a '10 Camus Bruchon Savigny Narbantons this week and it had similar thing going on with a slight bitterness to the finish. The upfront sweet fruit that this wine and a lot of the 2010s showed earlier was missing. I'm thinking some of the '10s are shut down right now. The Narbantons had a darker fruit profile, blackberry and blackberry leaf nose with a bit of volatile acidity, but the palate was disjointed and the structure and slight bitterness of the tannin was prominent.
I'm going to let these age some more for now.
Marc Davis

KatrinaBI

#219 Post by KatrinaBI » September 10th, 2016, 2:07 pm

marc d wrote:
KatrinaBI wrote:2010 Domaine Des Croix Beaune, 1er Cru Bressandes Still not really knit together. Lovely finessed nose of ripe plum and violet and some meatiness and a hint of vanilla. On the palate, quite acidic, with the fruit taking a back seat. Something bitter/harsh comes and goes on the finish, making the wine more and less disjointed. This was a disappointing showing as I bought a bunch of these on close out some years ago for $25. Happily, however, I saved a glass and drank after 4 days in the fridge. It is just gorgeous tonight, with sapid fruit, silky mouthfeel and a long, smooth finish. When this comes around, it's going to be delicious. Glad I have some more bottles which I'll tuck away for a while.

We drank a '10 Camus Bruchon Savigny Narbantons this week and it had similar thing going on with a slight bitterness to the finish. The upfront sweet fruit that this wine and a lot of the 2010s showed earlier was missing. I'm thinking some of the '10s are shut down right now. The Narbantons had a darker fruit profile, blackberry and blackberry leaf nose with a bit of volatile acidity, but the palate was disjointed and the structure and slight bitterness of the tannin was prominent.
I'm going to let these age some more for now.
Camus-Bruchon is one of my favorite producers but in my (limited) experience they take a long time to blossom. A 2012 Liards I opened a few months ago was gum-puckeringly harsh and hard as nails. Even an 05 Lavieres that I opened a year ago took a night in the fridge before it blossomed into a thing of beauty. Agree that many 2010s should be left alone now, even Domaine Des Croix, which is usually a soft-ish, accessible wine quite early on.

Keith Levenberg

#220 Post by Keith Levenberg » September 10th, 2016, 2:50 pm

The harshness of young Camus Bruchon is usually just CO2 in my experience. Shake up the bottle until the gas dissipates and then it ought to be friendly. (I still hate this trend.)

M. Meer

#221 Post by M. Meer » September 10th, 2016, 3:15 pm

KatrinaBI wrote:May he continue to be under-rated while I add to my stash....
I have really enjoyed "He-who-shall-not-be-named's" wines at Maison "Shall-not-be-named" for years, and more recently his own domaine. He has a new job which may one day elevate his name amongst the bigger fish, and allow us to say "At least we got in while we could..." [dance2.gif]
Mar.kus

KatrinaBI

#222 Post by KatrinaBI » September 10th, 2016, 4:19 pm

Keith Levenberg wrote:The harshness of young Camus Bruchon is usually just CO2 in my experience. Shake up the bottle until the gas dissipates and then it ought to be friendly. (I still hate this trend.)
Thanks for the tip! -- I will try it on my next bottle.
M. Meer wrote:

I have really enjoyed "He-who-shall-not-be-named's" wines at Maison "Shall-not-be-named" for years, and more recently his own domaine. He has a new job which may one day elevate his name amongst the bigger fish, and allow us to say "At least we got in while we could..." [dance2.gif]
Ah. I Did not know he had a new job. I guess I should be a little more circumspect :) Glad I'm not the lone admirer.

Josh Najjar

#223 Post by Josh Najjar » September 14th, 2016, 6:20 pm

Was quite impressed with a bottle of 2009 Prudhon - St Aubin - Les Rouges Gorges I sampled a few years back, and ended up buying a case.
It possessed a certain depth and complexity.
Will be curious to see how it evolves.

Ian Fitzsimmons

#224 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » September 15th, 2016, 5:50 pm

I bought several of the '12 Prudhon Sentier vv - which I believe Martin carries - after sampling one - the aroma and inner intensity were very good. And the price was right.

He-who-shall-not-be-named? Must be refering to the Trump winery in Charlottesville.

Ha, ha.

JulianD

#225 Post by JulianD » January 11th, 2017, 7:26 pm

Thanks for this thread - many wines added to the list
Davies

Martin Steinley

#226 Post by Martin Steinley » January 12th, 2017, 11:00 pm

I was out with friends tonight and the theme was off-the-beaten-path Burgundies. For the whites, the 2013 PYCM Montagny Les Burnins was the favorite. It is the qualitative equivalent of a good Chassagne-Montrachet per cru; green-tinged color, floral/flinty nose, and cool, pure and intense, with green fruits, on the palate. Fresh as a daisy. For the reds, the 2012 Cornu Savigny-Les-Beaune was my pick. The domaine is better known for its Aloxe-Corton and Ladoix cuvees, but it has a small parcel of relatively old vines in Savigny-Les-Beaune, from which they make a wine to which they refer to as the "cat," for its feline quiet and grace. It is all red fruits on the nose and palate, and it has a cool attack and silky texture. A lovely dinner partner and a lot of wine for $30.
ITB

Martin Steinley

#227 Post by Martin Steinley » March 13th, 2017, 10:48 pm

Kent Comley's post in the current Bourgogne rouge thread reminded me of this thread and a couple of days ago I had a wine which merits the resurrecting of it. The young Bachelet boys of Bachelet-Monnot have about ten vintages under their belts now, and they had it dialed in tight and fine with their 2014s. Their Puligny-Montrachet Folatieres, Referts and Hameau de Blagny, and Chassagne-Montrachet Romanee are, to my palate, masterpieces with equal parts fleshy, white fruit and bright, citrus-infused acid snap. I have received more e-mails and texts along the lines of "holy sh!t this stuff is good" about those wines than any other white Burgundies I have ever sold. The Bachelet's are based in Maranges and I understand that they have set their sites on boosting the reputation of the appellation. They will do just that with the likes of the 2014 Bachelet-Monnot Maranges Blanc Fussiere. Fussiere is just southwest of Santenay's Grand Clos Rousseau and at about the same altitude as Santenay Beaurepaire and Gravieres, from which Jean-Marc Vincent makes some gems, both white and red. And, stylistically, this reminded me of the purity and raciness of Vincent's whites. This wine has a citrus/mineral nose and the attack is the same; it is taut through the mid-palate and then finishes with a lashing of white fruits and florals. The domaine's wines mentioned above are $70-80ish. This wine and the domaine's Saint-Aubin En Remilly are $40ish. The Puligny-Montrachet AOC is about $55. All absolutely rock.
ITB

Jeremy Holmes

#228 Post by Jeremy Holmes » March 14th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Another lovely red made by one of Burgundy's great white wine makers last night.

2002 Domaine Roulot Auxey-Duresses 1er Cru: The nose has ripe red and black fruits, some smoked meats and plenty of earth. It is chunky in the mouth and has plenty of fruit. There's good savoury nuance and it finishes with a big lick of minerally acid.
ITB

A Fenster
GCC Member
GCC Member

#229 Post by A Fenster » March 14th, 2017, 3:59 pm

Jeremy,

I like Roulot's touch with red wines. Rarely see them in my neck of the woods though.
Al Fenster

Martin Steinley

#230 Post by Martin Steinley » March 14th, 2017, 7:22 pm

Jeremy Holmes wrote:Another lovely red made by one of Burgundy's great white wine makers last night.

2002 Domaine Roulot Auxey-Duresses 1er Cru: The nose has ripe red and black fruits, some smoked meats and plenty of earth. It is chunky in the mouth and has plenty of fruit. There's good savoury nuance and it finishes with a big lick of minerally acid.
These regularly pass through my hands, but I haven't tried one for several years. That will change with the 2015s coming up. Thanks, Jeremy.
ITB

KatrinaBI

#231 Post by KatrinaBI » March 14th, 2017, 7:41 pm

Happy to see this thread resuscitated!

Tonight I opened a 2013 Hubert Lamy Saint Aubin Clos de Meix. Some reduction on nose. Citrus on the palate along with some white florals and minerals. Very incisive and intense. Finishes with a generous squeeze of meyer lemon. Certainly enjoyable and went well with our citrus avocado salad and pasta with lemon gremolata. Not sure it's worth the price of admission, though.

Edit. So on second day, this was much better. Reduction completely gone and the whole thing stretched out like a sleek, streamlined cat. Long, long, mineral finish and a touch of lemon sherbert. Reminds me (again) that I should always hold off on writing tasting notes 'til day two.

Kent Comley

#232 Post by Kent Comley » March 21st, 2017, 3:27 pm

2014 Jean Fournier Marsannay Les Longerois
This is crackling with energy. Beautiful dark red fruit definition, with depth and density, some firmish tannins, hidden under the sumptuous fruit. This is incredibly good. Run, don't walk. Find some.
ITB

Martin Steinley

#233 Post by Martin Steinley » March 22nd, 2017, 6:24 am

That sounds really good, Kent, and consistent with the character of 2014 red Burgundies. I have every expectation that the 2015 red Burgundies will be very good, but I expect that many will turn back looking for 2014s after tasting some 2015s. I have read quotes from a few producers that 2015 is a combination of 2009 and 2010, and I find 2014 more like 2010 - purity and energy, as you say. I am not familiar with Fournier's wines, but your note has prompted me to track down the California importer and get a few in my warehouse to try. Thank you.
ITB

Kent Comley

#234 Post by Kent Comley » March 22nd, 2017, 1:50 pm

Great Martin. After I wrote the note I checked wine-searcher and found that it is as low as $260/doz in your market - an absolute steel.
ITB

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#235 Post by dcornutt » March 22nd, 2017, 3:13 pm

Howard Cooper wrote: Last night, I had a 2014 Jean Claude Ramonet Clos St. Jean red. Just as pure and beautiful as it could be. Yes it needs time. Yes it was not the richest wine in the world and did not have gobs and gobs of fruit. It was just what it should be.
This is so delicious!
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Robert Panzer

#236 Post by Robert Panzer » March 22nd, 2017, 3:23 pm

Clos Saint Jean in Chassagne has lighter, sandy soils which is why the loveliness factor is so high...the Maltroye 2013 is heart achingly good, pale, pretty, and pure.
Sounds like the Ramonet '14 is in a similar vein....
I T B - Down to Earth Wines

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#237 Post by Jeff Vaughan » March 22nd, 2017, 5:06 pm

• 2009 Clos Salomon Givry 1er Cru Clos Salomon - France, Burgundy, Côte Chalonnaise, Givry 1er Cru (3/22/2017)
    We both enjoyed this. Fresh and lively, with a fair amount of fruit and accents of light earth and licorice. I like that the wine has plenty of flavor yet is light bodied. A little sappy, perhaps because of the warm vintage? Wines like this make us want to drink and explore more of Burgundy.
CT: outplaying

NoahR

#238 Post by NoahR » March 22nd, 2017, 7:00 pm

TN: 2014 Charles Audoin Marsannay La Charne Aux Pretres

Initially was nonplussed with this. Tight and unyielding to a fault. Not reduced in the sense of obvious mercaptans but just nothing doing. Tart and light frame. Some tannins on the finish that were slightly dusty. I wrote an annoyed TN on Delectable thinking that Panzer guy hoodwinked me into buying a half case of crap.

36h later or so in the fridge and it has blossomed into something gorgeous, floral, lifted and fragrant, with some sweet cherry notes on a weightless frame but still with significant tannin on the back end to make me think I should bury this for a decade and then high five myself repeatedly.

People who taste Burgs in barrel or shortly after bottling - either you're full of sh&t or else you're mad geniuses because I ha e no idea how you can rate a wine like this when it is as tight as it was...
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

Robert Panzer

#239 Post by Robert Panzer » March 22nd, 2017, 7:45 pm

champagne.gif

Did you try the Favières yet, Noah? Verrrry different.....much more delicacy and finesse than stony power, as advertised, um I mean, as hoodwinked.

SANTÉ
I T B - Down to Earth Wines

NoahR

#240 Post by NoahR » March 22nd, 2017, 8:53 pm

Robert Panzer wrote:champagne.gif

Did you try the Favières yet, Noah? Verrrry different.....much more delicacy and finesse than stony power, as advertised, um I mean, as hoodwinked.

SANTÉ
I'm not touching any more young burgundy ever again, so no. :)
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#241 Post by Jeff Vaughan » March 23rd, 2017, 5:25 am

Noah, thanks for the note on the Audoin. Rob also hoodwinked me into that one and the Favieres ;-) Sounds like I should let them rest for a while.
CT: outplaying

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#242 Post by Jay Miller » March 23rd, 2017, 6:28 am

Martin Steinley wrote:That sounds really good, Kent, and consistent with the character of 2014 red Burgundies. I have every expectation that the 2015 red Burgundies will be very good, but I expect that many will turn back looking for 2014s after tasting some 2015s. I have read quotes from a few producers that 2015 is a combination of 2009 and 2010, and I find 2014 more like 2010 - purity and energy, as you say. I am not familiar with Fournier's wines, but your note has prompted me to track down the California importer and get a few in my warehouse to try. Thank you.
I've been loving the 2014s I've tried but since I'm not laying any down my purchases have been miniscule. But it's a beautiful vintage for my palate.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Cory Eichhorn

#243 Post by Cory Eichhorn » March 23rd, 2017, 6:45 am

TN: 2010 Domaine du Meix-Foulot Mercurey 1er Cru. This is always a QPR winner; doesn't have the depth of the best village or premier crus from the cote de nuits but for the price is excellent. This can also age. This is generally difficult to find but worth the search. I believe Rosenthal imports this. This has a blast of red fruit with excellent acidity and could age another 10 years. Worth seeking out.

Cory

Martin Steinley

#244 Post by Martin Steinley » March 26th, 2017, 10:52 am

Cory Eichhorn wrote:TN: 2010 Domaine du Meix-Foulot Mercurey 1er Cru. This is always a QPR winner; doesn't have the depth of the best village or premier crus from the cote de nuits but for the price is excellent. This can also age. This is generally difficult to find but worth the search. I believe Rosenthal imports this. This has a blast of red fruit with excellent acidity and could age another 10 years. Worth seeking out.

Cory
Agreed, Cory, Meix-Foulot is good, traditional stuff (gentle extraction and good energy to which you allude) that can be enjoyed early or kept, and they have a nice range of 1er crus. The 2008s at just about ten years are quite delicious right now, as well.
ITB

salilb

#245 Post by salilb » March 26th, 2017, 4:52 pm

2012 Domaine Lucien Jacob Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Les Peuillets is a winner. Light on its feet with very fresh cherry and red berried fruit flavours, and mineral and lightly floral accents emerging with air. The texture's very polished - there's a touch of fine grained tannin on the back end, but a lot of the structure here seems to come from the acidity, and it's a much more refined & elegant expression of Savigny than what I've found from Pavelot and CdB. This is lovely, and I will have to explore more from this grower.
B℮n℮gaɭ

Jeremy Holmes

#246 Post by Jeremy Holmes » April 1st, 2017, 5:29 pm

2014 Domaine Denis Bachelet Côte de Nuits Villages: Punchy and expressive from the get go. The nose has rose petals, smoke and sweet cherry fruit. In the mouth it is bright and crammed with red berries. There's plenty of mineral and earth and it finishes with a tart cherry snap.
ITB

Martin Steinley

#247 Post by Martin Steinley » April 2nd, 2017, 10:19 am

That sounds really good, Jeremy. I believe that Bachelet's vines among the various vineyards that contribute to this wine are now getting quite old, giving that punch and snap to which you refer. I did not find those things in the 2015 Domaine Larue Saint-Aubin Murgers des Dents de Chien. It has an expressive, ripe, white fruit nose, perhaps suggestive of 2015 vintage. The palate had good density and concentration and a citrus note provides freshness, but the wine lacks the energy of my favorite wines from Saint-Aubin.
ITB

Martin Steinley

#248 Post by Martin Steinley » May 1st, 2017, 9:44 pm

2013 Rollin Pernand-Vergelesses Ile des Vergelesses - Killer wine. My wife smelled and tasted it and said "wow." The nose is a high-toned affair of bright, sweet and tart, gently spicy, cranberry fruit. The palate is saturated, but taut, focused and cool. It is persistent and finishes with a lingering perfume. Top-drawer 1er cru here, and at least as good as Chandon de Briailes's version. Lots of wine for about $50.
ITB

Martin Steinley

#249 Post by Martin Steinley » May 29th, 2017, 12:34 pm

2013 Jean-Marc Morey Chassagne-Montrachet Champs Gains Rouge - All of big Jean-Marc's reds are about pale red fruit and plenty of soil and savory things in the mix, even when young, and this wine is no exception. It's ironic that pinot noir yields from this vineyard are about half of chardonnay and the pinot noir is much more difficult to farm, yet Jean-Marc's blanc is about $20/bottle more than this rouge. Such are the fashions of our times. I might give the domaine's Santenay Grand Clos Rousseau the edge over this wine, but both are lovely at the dinner table.
ITB

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#250 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » May 29th, 2017, 7:17 pm

2014 Domaine Tawse Savigny-Les-Beaune 1er Cru "Les Laviers"

Immediately accessible with cranberry on the nose and plush, soft fruits on the palate with zero oak and clean, well-integrated tannins.
Last edited by Mich@el Ch@ng on May 30th, 2017, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Wine Talk”